Important news regarding the 2012 season at Mission Raceway Park for the WMRC

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Hi everyone,

The Sports Car Club of BC (SCCBC), are the track rental managers for all things road course at Mission Raceway Park. The Custom Car Club of BC actually owns the track, and have contracted the SCCBC to deal with rentals. The SCCBC is our primary point of contact for the Road Course. Now that I've given the hierarchy, let's continue.

I've been notified this weekend by the SCCBC, that our race dates are invalid. At first, I met this news with disbelief, but now we are trying to see if we can salvage a season out of what we can. All weekends were removed from us with the exception of the May long weekend, which is May 19&20. We were also able to retain the Monday August 20th. No other weekend dates are available to our club. This change not only affected the WMRC, it also affected the WCSS, as well as other track renters, so no one was really spared.

The dates that were offered to me in compensation were:

April 2-4 (Monday to Wednesday), 9-12 (Monday to Thursday), 17 (Tuesday), 19 (Thursday), 20 (Friday), 24-25 (Tuesday, Wednesday)
    May 1-2 (Tuesday to Thursday), 8-10 (Tuesday to Thursday), 15-16 (Tuesday-Wednesday), 22-23(Tuesday-Wednesday), 29-30 (Tuesday-Wednesday)
    June 5-7(Tuesday to Thursday), 11-14(Monday to Thursday), 18-22 (Monday to Friday), 25-28(Monday to Thursday)
    July 2-5(Monday to Thursday), 9-12 (Monday to Thursday), 17-18 (Tuesday to Wednesday), 24-26(Tuesday to Thursday)
    August 6-7 (Holiday Monday Tuesday) , 14-16 (Tuesday to Thursday), 21-23(Tuesday to Thursday), 28-30(Tuesday to Thursday)
    September 4-6(Tuesday to Thursday), 11-12(Tuesday and Wednesday), 18-21(Tuesday to Friday), 25-27(Tuesday to Friday)

As you can see, most of these dates are less than desirable. Troy and Gio from WCSS have requested to take what Mondays that were offered so that they can continue to offer trackdays to those people who are in the bike industry, since Mondays are typically a day off for those folks. Note that these dates are offered to all clubs and are on a first come first served basis.

In response to this, I've reserved (hopefully), Friday June 28, and Friday September 21. This would possibly make this is a 4 round season:

Saturday May 19 Practice
    Sunday May 20 Round 1 and WCC
    Friday June 22 Round 2
    Monday August 20 Round 3
    Friday September 21 Round 4

We are holding an emergency general meeting to discuss this, on Wednesday, February 1st at 7:30pm at the Gillnetter Pub, 1864 Argue Street, Port Coquitlam, adjacent to Mary Hill Bypass and Pitt River Road). We ask that all past and present members please come to this meeting to determine if we can make this a season and discuss rammifications, expectations, and alternatives. All members input is greatly needed, so if you only make 1 meeting this year, please let it be this one. The outcome of this meeting with determine if the WMRC will race this year. Even if you are a potential racer, we want you there too!

Tomorrow you may get a phone call from the executive as we begin a call-out tree to all our racer friends and family to discuss these pressing issues, and to ask if you would join our meeting.

Sincerely,
    Dean Drolet

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

Wow !!!

What a change of events.

3. j lawson

j lawson New Member

I will attend the meeting but it looks like I wont be racing this year.

4. Don

Don Retired

That's certainly chickenshit on their part. Give on one hand take away on another, looks like they just want WMRC to go way.

5. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Faaaaaack! Went from looking like a dream season to a possible nail in the coffin. Is there a hate on for the WMRC and WCSS? Seems like a conspiracy.

I will carry out Black Op's for a reasonable fee.

6. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Jeez what the hell are they doing? They really don't want us around? Brett and I have a hockey game on the 1st so we can't make the meeting. As long as there's a season I'll race.. I just need to know the dates well in advance to book off vacation dates. June 28th doesn't look too good though,#2 arrives right around then.

7. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

Don't want to jump the gun here but maybe a consideration is that we race with WMMRA somehow this year.

Prior to the Feb 1st meeting it may be worthwhile talking to them to see if there is some sort of an option.

8. Dean

Sorry, that was a typo. June 22, not the 28th.

9. Dean

We will be voting on if we have a season or not. If you cannot make it, please mail your vote to me, and I will hold it in confidence and anonymity. You can email dean.drolet@wmrc.ca

10. Simon

Simon New Member

Holy crap, that's awful, I'll make it out Wed night, might have to bring the kids, wife working.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  11. Don

Don Retired

Dean, will you be able to elaborate at the meeting or here on what caused or what is behind this?

12. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Wow, I'm gobsmacked. How can they do it? Is there ever a contract signed for the dates? They certainly would cry and moan if we didn't pay for a race weekend....

So sad for this season, hopefully something comes of it.

Will send my vote by email, on Mommy duty that night due to hockey.... :D

13. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

Invalid?! How does that work? Did we not have an agreement? I'm guessing the custom car club, pulled the plug on our season?
    Anyway WTF

14. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

Man, that's sad! I will try my best to make it out if you have a race season. Good luck.

15. moeracing

moeracing New Member

not a wmrc member yet but was hoping to be, all i can say is that sucks, certainly sounds fishy and i would be doinbg a little digging into the reasons and possible breach of contract if one was signed. best of luck. i guess its back to supermoto racing which isnt a bad thing.

16. Mechanic

Mechanic New Member

Am I right in assuming that the SCCBC is a better revenue source for the CCCBC, than "Bike" weekends?
    If this is not the case, then is it worth approaching the CCCBC direct. I don't mean to be simplistic (perhaps you've already done that), but this has all the hallmarks of being disabling if not fatal blow for WMRC competition in BC.
    I don't race although I do participate in trackdays and enjoy spectating at "our" local track. I find this news very disconcerting!

17. Jerry

Jerry New Member

emergency meeting

I will definitely attend.

18. ctardi

ctardi New Member

I have been spending every dime I can spare to prepare for my first race season with the WMRC. I got a call just this morning from Bayside letting me know the remainder of the supplies I need are in.

Between work and school, I can't do weekday race days, and also can't make the meeting this Wednesday.

As the schedule stands now, I've spent about $5k to do one race. I do realize that motorcycle racing is not a cheap sport to get into, and not a good way to save money, but this is an incredible waste, and makes me far less likely to get into or carry on with the sport.

19. ctardi

ctardi New Member

It's not the SCCBC. There are NHRA events on the Mission raceway schedule for the days we had booked.

20. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

Maybe this year you do track days (here or the US) and get better on the track then next season if we get some decent dates you can come out.