I need your opinion!

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by raveracer, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

Miss Piggy is forsale. thats a smoking fast bike for cheap. I ran superbike/600 for years. Race gas, tires, brakes, etc every round made it too costly for me so I bought a cheap 1999 SV 650 already built. I did a few mids ( pipe, aircleaner, jet kit) and am having way more fun now then ever.
    Its way more fun to make a slow bike go fast. Buy an SV, unless you crash it, all your paying for for the season is your entrance fees.

2. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Another thing to consider is to race Formula Classic. Buy any pre 1990's bike as they are almost always below $2000. I started with a $1200.00 RZ350 and have been racing it for the last last 4 years. Fun racing, good group of guys, and you can possibly race in 3 classes (lots of track time !). Nice to have you on board raveracer.

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I second the thought of Miss Piggy. She's a great bike! Shane was damn fast on that bike, and she was stock!

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Dean Thompson's EX500 is a good option too.

Either that or a gixxer thou. Can't go wrong starting on a 160+HP liter bike....KIDDING!!

5. kingston

kingston New Member

Hey Georgie, the kid is 20 years old, doubt if he knows which end of those bikes to sit on.

Maarten, hope you start racing the 250 class, i may soon be in that class and my grandson is getting excited about racing, so we may see a 3 generation race not to far in the future.

6. crazyfastxxx

crazyfastxxx Pylon

That's what I did because that's what I had. If I knew then what I know now I would've started on a 250 or an SV. I may be going that way soon anyway. Anyone have a spare $2500 laying around they want to lend me lol.

7. raveracer

raveracer New Member

Jeez guys even more dilemma's! all i want for the first year is to get as many races in as i can and thought the 250cc bike had the most races due to the gold cup, am i right in saying that or does the sv650 have equal proportions of racing? Also, as i'm getting further into researching i'm starting to wonder how people go about sponsors? I'm looking at going to both honda and kawasaki here in kelowna and looking at getting sponsored by them if i buy a bike there but should i start off by making a proposal first and then go to the dealerships? should i even bother buying a new one or should i just look for a used one? Also how do you people go about looking for a sponsor from parts such as sharkskinz? Do i e-mail them with or without a sponsor proposal? I looked around a bit but all i'm getting is how to make a proposal, not the strategies behind successfully achieving a sponsorship.. again all and any advice is greatly appreciated and i just wanted to thank you guys for the amount of support! You guys are really helping me out and i'm now more motivated than i was before! (didn't even think it was possible)
    Thanks again everyone!

8. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

For local racing, the 250 is the best bet in regards to the amount of racing you can get in. Racing WMRC as well as the mini roadracing club, you will get way more track time. Buying a prepared race bike is the easiest way to go, and you can still approach local dealers (Honda or Kawasaki) to see if any will support you in your racing venture. If one is more interested than the other it may help decide what brand you'll buy.

9. Simon

Simon New Member

If you like speed, a 250 won't cut it, lol. I've raced a lot of bikes over the years at Mission, I've had a blast on a 1000, 750, older 600's and an SV650. You can get a ton of racing in with a 600. The SV650 and 600 F3's were a blast without going balls out, my 750 was the most fun when I had my head in the game. An SV650 can go almost all year on one set of tires.

10. raveracer

raveracer New Member

Yea i guess i should really wait until i actually get a couple track days in but i'm looking to get skilled at racing as fast as i can and was thinking that since the 250cc's are pure down to skill (from what i heard) combined with the amount of track time is seems the fastest way to get good? correct if i'm wrong haha but i'm a pretty competitive guy and like to be good at what i do (while having fun of course!) so whatever improves me the most is what i'm most attracted to right now, i'll always have my 675 to still scare the crap out of me every now and then :D

11. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

12. raveracer

raveracer New Member

awwe it's sold, thanks for looking though!!

13. FallDownFrank

FallDownFrank New Member

One day,The Q you will be asking yourself is how long does it take to repair my twisted crashed once pretty race bike so I can get back onto the track ASAP, my answer,no sleep increases
    lap times :)

14. Dr. Domino

Dr. Domino New Member

:laugh::)

I hear you can get a deal on the fees for the WCSS if you bring your own stir sticks.....