How to deal with Tank slappers

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by jumpingjupiter, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jumpingjupiter

jumpingjupiter New Member

I experienced my first stop to stop slapper over the weekend. I have had wobbles on both the track and street before but never a full blown jar the fillings out of your teeth slapper. The whole experience didn't last longer than 2-3 seconds but when your brain is in terror over drive it seemed to take a long time. It was a bad time to realize that I had no idea how to calm down a slapper.

The only thought I had was 'when in doubt, gas it'. Not sure if gassing worked or if the osilations stopped dispite my 'solution'. But after hammering the throttle the front tire snapped back in line (down to a minor head shake that corrected a second later)

Yes a steering damper whould help keep you out of trouble but I am more interested in tecnique of what to do to get yourself out of trouble.

I figured I would ask cause most have had a fair bit of training and heck, some of you are instructors.

Thanks
    Jupi

2. blkmrkt

blkmrkt New Member

Any change in speed is the best way to deal with it.

Relax your grip on the bars so you aren't trying to control it as much as just let it sort it self out.

Roll on the throttle or use the rear brake to change speeds. The front brake might not work if the pads have shaken away from the rotors not to mention you don't want to tuck the front end trying to brake while your front tire is sideways.

I think you dealt with it in the proper manner.

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Apply throttle to lighten the front end and it will come back into line.

Get a damper to prevent this from happening in the middle of a turn when you cannot apply full throttle to correct it.

4. Dean

Also, after EVERY slapper, you need to check your front brakes. Usually the oscillations will move the pads back and you will not have any brakes until you pump your lever.

5. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

Excellent point, especially at Mission where the bumpy exit of Turn 9 can turn into tankslappers, with the slow Turn 1 waiting for you at the end of the straight.

6. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

steering DAMPER!;) If you're still tweekin' turn up the dial. Get a good one....not one of those 'cosmetic' ones that comes stock with many bikes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  7. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts New Member

This is true, long time ago I found out the hard way. Turn 1 - zero front brake.

8. rustysgsxr

rustysgsxr Rooster

Mel, I would have to say turn 3 is one to watch for tankslappers.

9. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

You absolutely right, Rusty, I found that as well. I now have a steering damper on my bike so hopefully both 3 and 9 should both be smoother.

10. jumpingjupiter

jumpingjupiter New Member

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, Bernie. You have to stop being so vague. lol.

Anyone have suggestions on a good damper?

11. Dean

generally Ohlins is regarded as one of the best. If you bike allows for it, a linear damper is better to get. However, if your bike doesn't allow for it easily, or you cannot afford it, a rotary damper will also work. Scotts rotary dampers (by Ohlins) are okay, but not really made for road racing. GPR dampers, especially the new version are made for road racing applications. They still need to be rebuilt, usually once per year or at the very outset once every 2 years. Depending on where you buy it from, some places cover the cost of rebuilds for you.

If you get your GPR from Mspeed, Sean and Marbod cover the cost of the rebuild each year. Rotary dampers are about $450+ and linear are about $650+ locally.

12. Schoey

Schoey New Member

GPR works great!

.....and never use the front brakes to get out of a tank slapper. The tire is fighting for traction in the first place.
    I'm not going to say I use the best metthod, but I slowly get off the gas until it goes away (if giving more throttle isn't an option). Chopping the throttle puts all the weight up front and can cause a slide to.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  13. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

GET ONE... seriously though, I used to have the linear Ohlins but one crash and the rod was bent. The GPR works well and crashes well. As long as you have a receipt they will do free rebuilds (Print off a work off their website) or else it's $25. When I high sided my ZX10 it landed upside down and slid on the damper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  14. Simon

Simon New Member

Nothing wrong with stock, mine just has thicker oil, :D

But yeah, get one, like others have found, shift your weight and apply the gas and pray.