how do the points work?

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Eddie 59, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

Just wondering how the scoring works. For instance on the May 18th round in middleweight super bike I crashed after 5 laps but I got 5 points. On the Aug 3rd round in middleweight twins, Gary Mansi didn't race but still got 10 points. Just curious.

2. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

How Eddie really feels...

Untitled.png

3. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

I think the real question is, how can a rider cause a red flag and then still get points even though he could not continue? Some one might not want to race in the rain but still wants the $5 champions trophy. It maybe the special person whom started this thread. I don't mind being the goat but not when there are Velcro gloves are involved. It maybe slow at the shop so I can do this all day!

4. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I didn't see any response to Eddie from the exec. Were there discrepancies in the points? Although protests need to be done on raceday within a specific amount of time of the results getting posted, I am still interested.

5. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Protests are usually for finishing positions, and points are not posted until after. At least that was the way it used to be. I think this is points faux pas.

6. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

According to chapter 14 in the rule book, points are awarded to riders who start the race but do not finish. Perhaps this accounts for it?
    If there is a problem with the scoring, I implore you to contact myself or another member of the exec.

7. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Points for not finishing start at 15th position. So if there are 10 racers in a race, and the first guy crashes, he gets 1 point, essentially 15th place. The next guy to crash would get 2 points since he went further in the race. The next to crash, 3 points, etc. It was intended to get people to start and try to finish a race despite weather. So those points start backwards from 15th position. Eddie's 5 points are likely the final position he was in, and not from the 15th position. It's a mistake that's easy to make. I used to massage points before the final publishing after each round to ensure that this was done correctly.

Gary's 10 points for not racing is a bit of concern though. Sadly, I had to miss this season, but I too would like points for not racing ;) (just joking)

8. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Excerpt from Rulebook.

Chapter 14 – Race Points
    The WMRC awards points in all WMRC competition categories toward season Championships
    to eligible race finishers in the following order:
    1st 25 points 9th 7 points
    2nd 20 points 10th 6 points
    3rd 16 points 11th 5 points
    4th 13 points 12th 4 points
    5th 11 points 13th 3 points
    6th 10 points 14th 2 points
    7th 9 points 15th 1 point
    8th 8 points
    Any rider that starts a race (specifically, any rider that makes the starting grid and takes the race
    start flag) will be assigned a finishing position, and be awarded any associated points for that
    position regardless of whether they complete the full race or not. This is to differentiate, via
    points eligibility, between riders who do not finish (DNF) a race and those who do not start.
    If a rider does not start, they are not assigned a finishing position, and they cannot earn points.
    If a rider starts a race, but DNF’s, they will be assigned a finishing position and awarded any
    associated points for that assigned position according to the points structure.
    No rider whose machine failure causes a red-flag situation during a race shall appear in the final
    results of that race or its subsequent re-run.
    Finishing position for DNF’s will be assigned as follows:
    - The first DNF in a race will be shown as the last place finisher for that race.
    - The second DNF of the race will be assigned second last place, and so forth.
    - If two riders DNF at the same time, either individually, or from a collision or other race
    incident forcing both riders out at the same time, their final result positions will be determined
    based on their relative track position on the last completed lap.
    Points for DNFs will be awarded starting from the bottom of the point scale and will go upwards
    with each DNF in the race. Eg. The first DNF will get 1 point as if they were 15th position, the
    second DNS will get 2 points as if they were 14th position, etc. If there are more than 16
    entrants, it’s possible that a DNF will get no points.
    All racers receive prize money where applicable. Only WMRC MEMBERS are eligible to
    collect championship points and trophies.