Helmet ratings

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by KBELL408, Dec 10, 2011.

1. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

Standards required ? What is the club accepting this year? Which ECE #'s are required? Would be nice if we had a 'sticky' with what is needed.Thanks

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Good Question Kelly!

Yes, there will be helmet ratings required this year. They will come in a separate announcement in the next few days, however, for the purposes of this thread:

USA/Canada: Snell M2010
    BSI: 6658 Type A
    United Nations: Regulation ECE 22.05 P'
    Japan: JIS 8133:2007

These will be helmets that we will accept this year.

Please note that plain old DOT is no longer accepted.

3. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Snell 2010 or Snell 2005? I thought helmets had a service life of 5 years?

4. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

When it was mentioned at the AGM it was Snell 2010

5. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Not at the AGM but it was discussed at the rules committee meeting.
    Sucks if like me you recently bought a new helmet with a 2005 rating. Helmet good for 5 years from date of purchase. Bought in 2009, good to 2014, rules change in 2011 so I need a new helmet if this goes through.
    I do understand though that if you bought a new 2005 rated helmet in 2005 and have raced and crashed on it for 5 years then you need a new one and that there is no way for the club to police this other than by saying, "New standards, everybody keep up".

6. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

Since I did not attend the rules meeting....and I remember Dean talking about it....it must have been mentioned at the AGM also.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

General standard is 5 years from DATE OF MANUFACTURE (For safe life of the helmet). If there is NO date stamp it retros to 2005 or the last rating, which would make it obsolete now. That being said Snell 2005 and Snell 2010 are different where Snell 2010 is a new multiple hit rating for motorcycle similar to ECE standards. **Direct from Bell Helmets. All helmets should have the date stamp and Bell has it's 5 year warranty from this date.

8. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

We'll need to clarify this... I was (GASP!) looking at a new helmet and it had snell2005/ece22.05 on it. Which one of these would apply in this case?

9. KBELL408

KBELL408 New Member

Alex,I am trying to make sense of the ECE labeling ,but to my understanding the ECE must have the suffix 'P without that suffix it is not correct (think of it as a base model/DOT ).
    As for Snell 2005 versus 2010, there are lots of "good value" Snell 2010 lids available.Also read up on the differences between 2005 and 2010 standards.

10. Reckless

Reckless New Member

So Bernie if a 2010 Snell helmet is rated for multiple hits how would that affect getting a helmet through tech? At what point now would tech reject a helmet with signs of physical damage and would that change under the 2010 rating?

11. Dean

Snell 2005 and below helmet ratings had to survive a hit of some magnitude in the same exact place twice to pass. This resulted in more severe head injuries, because they had to make the shell harder to survive those testing impacts.

There was a test a number of years ago, that found that major flaw with Snell, and we relaxed our helmet rules due to that. Now with Snell 2010, they do not require multiple hits in the same place, but rather the helmet shell must survive multiple hits instead. This allows the force to be distributed more evenly, and results in a reduced risk of concussion.

With that said, ANY helmet that has been crashed in, and shows marks of a crash, is done. It doesn't pass tech. Once a helmet hits enough to damage it, it's job is done.

Like the Edmonton club, the WMRC will be adopting a Snell 2010 rule this upcoming season. All will be announced before the new year.

12. Bernie32

As Dean said. Once it has been impacted it's done. Little known fact- most helmet manufacturers will offer to "look" at a crashed helmet if you send it in........don't expect to see it back, it gets turfed. When I was at the Snell facility they showed us the 2010 testing. Bell has the same equipement in their facility and run many tests before the final and official tests are done. When they say "multiple hit" it doesn't mean it can be worn after multiple crashes. What they mean is that the helmet it tested in "real world" motorcycle conditions. The helmet is hit in multiple places and all hits must pass the test. In the real world this would be you fall off the bike, you hit the ground, roll over hit the otherside, bike hits you you roll over and hit again. That's multiple hit all in one crash.

As for ECE, when we sold Shark helmets they were all ECE (economic community of europe) does this test for 50 countries, including Germany which is the toughest. The "22.05" is the version of the test just like version of software (next will be 22.06, 22.07, 22.08 etc). If you want to know how good it really is ask Kramer after his crash with the Shark that split the outer shell and he was able to race the next race.

Also keep in mind (for older helmets), all the sweating inside the helmet will also pre-maturely break down the inside. AND....hopefully none of you do this, and it drives me nuts to see, Racers or track dayers that come in from an amazing session and put their helmets on their tank. Your tank vent is near the cap and fumes fill the helmet breaking down the foam, glue and lining.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  13. tt600

tt600 New Member

so,a helmet a bought two years ago.with an ece 22-05 will not be good for next year? obviously sold me old stock?

14. Bernie32

No, 22.05 is the latest version. Snell updates every 5 years......ECE updates when they call for a new set of tests. This in turn would update the version. When that will be is the European test facilitys' call. As of right know 22.05 is still current as long as it hasn't been dropped, show damage or been crashed on.

15. Dean

Yep, ECE-2205 is valid. See above on my first post. ECE-2205 P

16. Dean

I know this is sudden to a lot of you. This is why we are discussing this now. Race season doesn't start for another 5 months or so. The safety committee will meet one more time and see if we will allow a transitional period where Snell 2005 will be allowed until July or so, to give everyone 1 year to get compliant.

THAT IS NOT GUARANTEED, as we have to meet with the committee. If they say No, then you need a new lid folks. Remember, under racing conditions, these things break down faster due to sweat, oils, etc.

17. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Oh shit, should I not be putting oil inside my helmet? I thought it makes it easier to get on and off. :lips:

18. ctardi

ctardi New Member

Dean,
    You say that "ECE-2205 is valid", but then quote your first post as being "ECE-2205 P". Is there a difference between the two, and if so, will this difference be acknowledged during tech?

19. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

I'm even more confused now than when I started reading this thread. To be on the safe side I'll be looking for a snell2010. Then (barring any unforeseen mishaps) I should be good for tech until 2015. Right?

20. Dean

after reviewing with Nikola, we will accept snell 2005 for one more year. I would encourage anyone who has an older helmet, to make sure it will match the above specifications. On my ECE-2205 helmet, I look at the label inside, and I see the ECE-2205 P stamp in there, so I know mine is okay.