Headlight Removal?

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by SethS, Aug 3, 2010.

1. SethS

SethS New Member 2010

Winder if any of you Tech Guys can answer me a question regarding the removal of headlights as a racing requirement. My '03 YZF-R6 has plastic lens fairings and the only glass would be in the bulbs themselves. Check out this clip found on You Tube...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPLzFVHRUtM

Trying to see if I can ride the bike to the track and race it. This headlight issue would be a real headache which I'd like to avoid if possible.

2. blkmrkt

blkmrkt New Member

If it is for a track day you can ride the bike to the track, unplug the headlights or pull the fuse and then tape up the lenses.

Just peel off the tape, plug the electrical back in and ride home

3. SethS

SethS New Member 2010

Sorry but please read my question again. I'm asking about racing, not trackdays. Can someone in the know please let me know? Again please view this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPLzFVHRUtM

4. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Straight from page 9 of the online 2010 WMRC Ruleboook :

11. All lenses (both reflective and headlight) must be removed.
    12. All light bulbs must be removed and horns disconnected.

The rulebook does not say "Glass" lenses must be removed, it says "ALL" lenses.

5. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Sorry Seth, but your video is largely irrelevant. What matters are the rules outlined by the club. I imagine you could petition the exec to see about getting the rule changed if it's that important to you.. How you would go about doing that i'm not exactly sure.. Perhaps attending some club meetings and trying to have it added to agenda could be a start.

6. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Rule book changes cannot be made mid season and are only made by the rule book commitee which meets during the off season.

7. Rick

Rick Old Guy

Plastic or glass doesn't really matter, they both break and will make a mess on the track if you crash. Less mess to clean up after a crash means more track time for everyone.

I don't see this rule changing any time soon.

Reason #2

2003 R6 Headlight Mfg. Part Number: 5SL-84300-20-00 -

MSRP: $619.82

You could buy complete aftermarket bodywork for just the replacement cost of the headlight !

8. vanilla18

vanilla18 New Member

Just my two cents but I don't think I would want to ride my bike to the track to race. I love to think that I'm not going to lay my bike down but sometimes things don't go as planned. Just remember you still have to get home some how. If your bike is out of commission and/or you bang yourself up pretty bad you'll have and issue in that department.

9. SethS

SethS New Member 2010

Got it. Thanks guys. Anyone know of a racer in or near Surrey (88th Ave & King George area) who may have room to transport a RACE bike then? Thinking now for next year at this point.

10. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Get yourself a small pick-up or put a trailer hitch on your car. U-haul is your friend, I think they have motorcycle trailers for under $20 a day.

11. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I did that for 3 years with a Mazda 3. Worked great.

12. Reckless

Reckless New Member

For any of you who also check out BCsportbikes Seth was killed in an accident on the Hope Princeton hwy over the weekend.
    God Speed Seth.

13. Nancy

Nancy Practice Racer

Thanks for posting this Angus. Yes, godspeed Seth - a very determined guy who was definitely interested in racing. My last conversation with him was about helping him get a race bike to the track for him towed behind my truck. Very sad circumstances surrounding his death.