Hay Bales in Front of AIr Fence

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Dean Thompson, May 18, 2016.

1. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I am wondering if it's possible to put a single row of bales in front of the air fence in turn 2. After Jake's lowside and impact with the concrete wall, I've been thinking of ways to make the impact area safer. If bales are the first line of defence it should help stop bikes/riders from going under the air fence. Thoughts?

2. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

It sounds like Jake's crash was similar to Steve McKenna's on T6 last season. Bales might absorb the initial impact and prevent bikes from lifting the air fence. They would take up some track real estate and be another obstacle to avoid if running wide, but probably better than hitting the wall. Other clubs/tracks might have had similar issues and hopefully came up with a solution.

3. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Yeah turn 2 wouldn't really be an issue for real estate, but 6 would. Maybe just the first 20 feet or so along the air fence in turn 6 would be helpful.

4. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

The track setup experts should know. Do changes to the track setup plan have to be approved by a certified track official?

5. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I know some of us come close to the airfence at the exit of T2, the flap that sits on the track surface anyway. Requests were made to fold the flap under the airfence last year.

6. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Matthew also mentioned the air fence flap as an issue on T2.

7. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

That must be close to the last 2 sections of air fence you're coming close to. It wouldn't need to be covered with hay bales there since the bikes are nearly upright heading towards 3 by that point. Or am I wrong about which fence you're getting close to?

8. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

I think it's the high impact sections that have the flap, which is the one Jake crashed into.

9. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

At issue is that to keep the air fence from lifting, they should be strapped to the concrete wall behind, that keeps them in place.

10. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Also pretty sure that tucking the flap underneath makes it a lot easier to go under, that's what the flap is there for, to push the sliding object upwards into the airfence.

11. Ryan Whittle

I believe you are correct. on some of the airfence modules, the flap was a weighted section to it, but they generally are not on the racing surface.

12. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

This is what we were told as well, so the flap stays where it is designed to go.

13. Ryan Whittle

14. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Two racers have gone under the air fence in turn two already this season. Is there going to be any thought put into an improvement? We were super lucky that neither rider was injured badly. We have till July to come up with some sort of fix. Any other ideas besides the hay bale addition? :confused:

15. Keith Robinson

Keith Robinson New Member

I believe there are two club meetings before the next race. I suggest one of them be scheduled as a 'Safety' meeting and we have both riders attend that went 'under the airfence'. A proper understanding of the accidents would help us make some decisions on how to make 2 and 6 safer. Did these riders end up under the fence after it had reduced the impact, did the bike lift the fence before the rider got to it?
    I looked at the 'Bags full of recycling' and as they haven't tested them yet I'm not happy with that route!
    My immediate concerns is the condition of the air fence that we are using.

Race Director.

16. Edward

Edward New Member

When I went under I don't remember if my bike hit the fence first or not. I'll see if there is any footage on one of my gopros. I just remember being in the dark after I went down on my back. Next thought was I'm very vulnerable if someone else crashes!, so I frantically clawed my way out from under there. Like climbing out of a grave.

I'll try to attend the next meeting.

Just brainstorming some ideas:

A. Put some hay bales on top to weigh the fence down and help prevent it from popping up.
    B. Spero mentioned the strap points on the bottom are on the wrong side. I don't know how feasible it would be to cut them off and move them. If not, you could drill some small holes in the flap along the length and grommet them. Then put a rope or strap through with a knot (and washer?) bigger than the hole. Then it goes under the air fence and tied to the barrier. This should in theory pull the front down onto the track.
    C. Hay bales in front, but they eat up track and if they are clipped you're going down. I've brushed an air fence on turn 6 no problems. Kept on going.
    D. Let the bodies pile up behind the fence. It will become safer throughout the day.

airfencesolutions.png

17. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Actually, the last idea isn't bad, but we could put hay bales behind the air fence instead of humans.

18. Keith Robinson

Keith Robinson New Member

I have pondered solution B myself, it may help.We have already placed bails behind some of the air fence because it is not standing in a vertical position on its own.
    Edward; did you actually contact the wall at speed or did the air fence at least cushion the impact before you went under it?

19. Edward

Edward New Member

Keith, I did not contact the wall to my recollection. It felt like I made it halfway under the air fence and I did not feel the wall as I was getting back out which I somehow knew the right direction to go.

https://youtu.be/1n6vXfWbzSw

turn2a.jpg turn2b.jpg turn2c.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  20. ctardi

ctardi New Member

Good to see there that the flap was out, and it's pretty clear that your bike did not lift the air fence before you hit it.

Has anyone on the Exec contacted the manufacturer and asked what their recommendation is? I find it impossible that we're the first customers to have this issue.