Generators?????

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by vanilla18, Aug 25, 2010.

1. vanilla18

vanilla18 New Member

so I'm in the market for a generator but have no clue what to get. Should I pick up a champion one from Canadian tire or should I cough up the extra cash and buy a Honda inverter? What other models are ones I should look into? Is there a big difference between a standard generator and an inverter? How much power will I need to run my warmers and a fan or two? Please anyone in the know chime in and help me out.

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

generators provide power and are REALLY NOISY! YOU WILL ANNOY THE PEOPLE IN THE PITS NEXT TO YOU AND THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE A NORMAL CONVERSATION WITHOUT YELLING!

Inverters provide clean power and are quiet. People in the pits next to you will appreciate the steps you took to keep quiet, and everyone will talk in a normal voice.

3. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I have a loud champion generator from Costco. It's heavy, loud and a pain to get in and out of the van. It was however a 1/4 of the price of the Honda inverter.

4. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

I have a Honeywell Inverter for sale. $400. Nice and quiet, runs my tire socks just fine. Used 4 times.

1 Kilowatt. 35 pounds. Very small.

5. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

Invertor

:) How much are you asking for the Honeywell Invertor?

Thanks,
    Blair

6. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

$400. I have two, for reasons I would be happy to explain to the potential purchaser. Course, I need some rearsets and body armor...:)

7. vanilla18

vanilla18 New Member

so are noise and weight the only real differences between a standard generator and an inverter.

Jay, thanks but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for something larger.

8. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Not really. Inverters provide clean power as well, so that you can run sensitive electronics like TVs, Radios, and Computers. Generators usually cannot provide clean enough power for those things without damaging them. For track use though, it's all about the noise, and not about the type of power.

9. Thad.K

Thad.K New Member

Go with the inverter type way quieter. I bought a 2000 W Kiper for just under $700 and its super quiet and works awesome and it light as well. Don't get one from Princess Auto I got one and it crapped out after the first weekend I took it back.