February 2015 WMRC General Meeting

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by Jaybo, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

MINUTES

WMRC
    General Meeting
    Feb,9 th, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
    Ricky’s Restaurant, Langley, BC

IN ATTENDANCE:

Andrew Marles, President
    George Fillis, Promotions
    Jason Hanson, Vice President
    Brett Hanson, Treasurer

8 members

1. CALL TO ORDER
    President Andrew Marles called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.

2. MINUTES
    ) That the Minutes of the WMRC meeting held on January 12
    ( 2015, be accepted.
    CARRIED

3. Reviewed and accepted previous minutes

4. FINANCIAL REPORT – Brett Hanson
    $18,609.00 in the bank account
    $7,420 was received over the course of the bike show
    We will be issuing a cheque for $5,500.00 to the sports car club for the deposit
    The bike show cost about $2,600.00 which has yet to be paid.
    We still need to buy the insurance for the season
    We don’t have a firm number on how many licenses were sold yet

5. PROMOTIONS REPORT –George Fillis
    Still canvassing for potential sponsors and hoping to have most signed up by the end of February. We should have the majority of our sponsors then & will then have the poster created with them on it.
    There has been some talk with Kawasaki regarding sponsoring a lightweight class. We should have a good idea about whether this will work by the end of March.
    Looking at another print run, for a final poster and more discount business cards/schedules.
    We are still exploring our options for changing the meeting location. A couple locations are being reviewed.
    We’ve heard there is a bike community event possibly being schedule in March and we are hoping to attend and try to be able distribute club materials at this.

6. Rules committee report. –Ryan Whittle
    Two drafts have been created. Realistically about 80% there with one more revision expected.
    A lot of clean up is ongoing. Final draft expected February 23rd
    Some changes that are being worked on:
    The number one plate will using finishes in any two best classes, rather than just the Formula Ultra class, this opens the club championship to any rider.
    Updated terms of cameras on the bikes and safety.
    Novice will not be considered a championship class.
    Some clarification on novice open wording. 600cc or larger regardless of year you will be racing in the novice open race.
    250 production is open to all novice and experts 250 & 300cc 4 fourstrokes. Some restrictions are hp and torque restrictions, stock airbox, pump gas, quick shifters not allowed
    Lightweight supersport, Supersport rules and open to 300cc – 320cc twins, 390cc singles bikes.
    Middleweight superbike. Changed wording to twenty years or older. 600cc +15 years and older are limited to supersport rules.
    Lightweight supersport twins. 500cc twins and singles. Run with formula classic.
    All races are 10 laps.
    A Minigp class to be created. To allow GP bikes to be run.
    Updated wording on the penalty for missing the riders meeting “Riders that fail to attend shall be assessed a penalty by the competition committee.”
    Updated rule on missing the warm up lap. Riders will start from back of grid.
    Updated 600 supersport, allowing for 1000cc twins. But still has a 125hp limit.
    Trying to give everyone 3-4 races

Reminder to buy licences.

There was a request. A member would like to know how many transponders came with the system when it was purchased and where did they go?

Talked about the Track Intel systems.We have every intention of using the system more, however we need to organize training first.
    Currently we have a lot on our plate with creating the race school and we are comfortable with the systems we have in place at this time.
    Results from last year are hard to find. The general results page that is open to the public no longer has the 2014 results. Jason was able to find by logging in the championship results but the detailed race rounds results are not working.

WCC. EMRA has mentioned that they want to the WCC to be a viable championship again. They would like confirmation of the number racers that will be attending the Edmonton round, they would also like these to be our top riders. They’ve mentioned if they don’t get this they will suspend the series.

7. ADJOURNMENT
    Rob and Kelly

Accepted that the meeting for the WMRC be adjourned at 7:26 p.m.
    (
    CARRIED

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Clarification on this please. Changing the rules from 15+ year old 600cc bikes to 20+ year old 600cc bikes?

3. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

That's incorrect. In MWSB OPEN multi cylinder 4 stroke change to 20 yrs or older, 600s stay at 15 yrs old but limited to SS modifications on engine

4. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Thanks for the clarification!

5. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

What was the answer to the transponder question? Have heard stories but what is the actual answer???

6. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

All I know is this:

5 transponders came with the system purchase. They were handed out as a test on the final race day of the 2012 season. 3 came back and were purchased for the price that was paid for them by the club exec. We were unsure where the other 2 transponders ended up. Most of the transponders were spoken for from that purchase by the club exec, however, a couple execs were left scrambling to make other arrangements when the transponders went missing.

At any rate, the club did pay for the transponders in a single transaction but they were never meant to be club assets. They were all spoken for at the time of purchase. The club never intended to have a rental pool. If anyone has any questions about the whole transaction, please let me know. I was the broker of the purchase of the system from Stratotech.

7. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

WARNING: The following post contains ranting and/or harsh wording, targeting one or more (or all) of the members of the rule book committee. It is meant for a mature audience only. If you are easily offended, have never ridden a BSA or a 70's SOHC aircooled bike, PLEASE PLEASE MOVE ON. You have been warned...

I haven't said much lately, but this is truly f&%^ed. I wonder what geniuses came up with the above statement...

600cc or larger with NO qualification on # of cylinders AND regardless of year?!?!? So if I was starting out racing now on my old, late 60's BSA 650 (instead of sometimes back in the mid2000's), I'd have to race in open novice with modern r6's?

Oh wait! Did you maybe leave out 'inline 4's'? That wouldn't work either since an early 70's Honda inline 4 aircooled SOHC 750 is still no match to a modern r6.

You're literally pushing some people away before they even put rubber to the track...

I know - you'll say that no one rides the bikes I mentioned anymore. Well, you are creating new classes for bikes that are not there, so what's the difference? It's all fictitious anyways.

Thank god we had SOME sane rules back in the mid 2000's...

8. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Alex, maybe instead of flying off the handle calling out an entire rules committee based on the minutes from a meeting with a draft set of rules, you would maybe ask a question, or wait until you actually see the rulebook.

I shouldn't expect that much thought out of you though. You wonder why ridership and volunteering is down? It's sh*t like this. I spend my evening researching, rewriting, emailing and revising to have to deal with your crap? No thanks. The sad thing is you think you are the savior of the club when you are just one more drilling holes in a sinking ship.

Below is a cut and paste of the rule as written.

7.1 Novice
    The purpose of this class is to give the beginning racer track experience under racing conditions.

All types of racing motorcycles are allow provided they conform to the rules in Chapter 5.
    Middleweight Superbike, 650cc Supersport twins Middleweight twins, 250 Cup and Formula Classic are allowed to run their respective classes instead of the open Novice class.
    Two 10 lap races per day for Open Novice

Novices on 595cc and bigger inline-4 bikes, as well as large(over 700cc) displacement twins are isolated to Novice-Open class and shall not enter any other class. All other smaller bike Novices run their own respective classes that their motorcycles are legal to compete in.

For further clarity, the following table highlights what class you should run in. This list is NOT exhaustive:

• 1995 CBR600 F3 – OPEN NOVICE
    • 1992 GSX-R 1100 – OPEN NOVICE
    • 1989 RZ350 – FORMULA CLASSIC , middleweight superbike
    • 1998 Ducati 748 – OPEN NOVICE
    • 2000 GSX-R 600 – OPEN NOVICE
    • 2010 Ninja 250 – 250 PRODUCTION/LIGHTWEIGHT SUPERSPORT
    • 1999 SV650 – MIDDLEWEIGHT TWINS/MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPERBIKE
    • 2003 SV Superbike - MIDDLEWEIGHT TWINS/MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPERBIKE
    Maximum 88db.

9. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

If a novice decides to join the WMRC and race a 60's BSA 650 or early 70's Honda 750 and wants to race Alex would rather have the bike in Formula Classic. I get that. It makes sense. As far as I know that is how the rules are written. A novice on a BSA or old air cooled Honda is not going to be competitive in any class, so I don't understand why your panties are in a bunch over the wording from the minutes.

On the note about fictional classes that are being created - I'll put money on Ninja 300's showing up for the first race of the year. And since your comments seem to carry a certain tone, would you care to place a little wager on more BSA's/70's Hondas joining this year than 300's?

10. bsa_414

FYI, I didn't fly off the handle. Mind reading is not a gift I posses (yet), and the only info I see is what is in the minutes. Also, by the time I'll get to actually see the rulebook, it's a done deal.
    If what is in the minutes is your current line of thinking, you need to revise it. You are further confusing the issue by posting the rule as written. Written where? Last year's book or this years book?

My main issue is with "regardless of year".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  11. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

The basis and thought behind this particular rule is unchanged from last year. The proposals for this years book only clarify what was already there. 250s, Lightweight and MW Twins, and formula classic will still run with their respective classes.
    Ryan, please have a look at my revisions, I made sure the new small capacity bike classes were specified as exempt from novice open.
    There are a few things in the minutes that are not completely representative of the changes we as a committee have proposed. Please all be calm and rational.....breath.....

12. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Please everyone stay calm, we ran through the changes pretty quick it's entirely possible that I didn't get the wording with the proposed revisions 100% correct. I do apologize.

13. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Nothing on you Jayson, but the following statements were pretty inflamatory:

14. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

ya I know, but i'm the genius who typed it so I'll take the hit. Say what you want but Alex has a way of writing messages that guarantees a response.. :p

15. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 New Member

I just wanted to clarify on this point, as I have been quite vocal in regards to the WCC potentially being suspended since september of last year in a number of posts. Yes, it should be a viable/legit championship again! it should not just be someone who normally finishes tenth in all of their classes winning a championship based purely on the fact that nobody else (the top riders from EACH club, not just the wmrc) dont show up to participate. that does not mean we do not want as many and all racers to come out and make it a truly great event. and all the power to a deserving champion if that same guy does come out and does truly beat the top guys.
    as discussed we want there to be participation from both clubs visiting the others facility to foster road racing in western canada. its a great way to meet and get to know some fellow racers you otherwise may not have been able to. any time you can experience a new track is only going to make you a better racer in my opinion.
    many ideas had been thrown around in order to try and create a buzz and involvement, and the importance of needing to see a commitment in making this happen had been thoroughly stressed. the sad reality is, nobody showed up last year even with the lure of a brand new track to race. and there were minimal hands up for this year at this point. as such, after much discussion, it was voted to suspend the wcc for 2015 on the emra end.

but... i would like to mention that instead, to try and help promote interest in coming to race with the emra at castrol raceway in the 2015 season. it has been voted that for any racers holding a wmrc license it will be fully reciprocal to race with the emra, as well we are offering a 50$/round discount for anybody wanting to make there way here to experience the track throughout the year. which wasnt mentioned in the meeting minutes. I would hope that this offer may also be extended from the wmrc towards visiting emra members as well

I am positive if enough interest is shown this season and commitments can be made 2016 can be the comeback year for the WCC

if anybody has any suggestions on how we can grow this back to make 2016 a go, please do message me. as well if you have any questions in regards to castrol and racing here with the emra as a visitor i would be more than happy to help.

16. bsa_414

Why would you take the hit? It's got nothing to do with who typed it in...

The issue with who races open novice was last discussed in Oct of last year. See this thread if you need a refresher:

http://www.westwoodracing.com/forums/showthread.php?6540-Classification-of-CBR600/page2

It's pretty clear where Marbod stands on this issue. So when I see statements like "regardless of year" don't blame me if I shoot first and ask questions later...

17. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Sad that the decision had to be made, but totally understood that if only a couple of racers commit to the WCC it's not really worth all the effort to organize it. Like I mentioned before, it would be great to see a small bike class added to the WCC. I mentioned it on EMRA's forum and had Justin nix the idea since he's mainly promoting the big/fast bikes. Everyone focuses on their personal interests and that will never really change.

18. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

It seems clear to me that a FC legal bike would race with FC but what do I know. I proposed some different language at our earlier rule book meeting and I'll bring it up again by e-mail over the weekend. Now can we all put on our big boy pants and stop shitting ourselves in public?

19. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Happy to report that this has been fixed. 2014 results are back, along with detailed round results too. Thanks to the people who reported this. We have now learned a bit more about what the system expects, and how to end a season and create the next. The results should always be working from this point forward.

20. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 New Member

dean, id have to say it has far more to do with the fact that we dont have a single entry in that class here at the emra to make it a viable championship going both ways. we do however still have it in the schedule if a group of riders wanted to come up and give castrol a go. im not sure how the whole 250 series works down there. is it a separate championship series run in conjunction alongside the wmrc events? if so could always potentially work out adding a double header here into that series in the future. something to be discussed atleast. and run potentially on the same weekend as a future wcc round.

as for the big/fast bikes, i believe it is more of the we need to make what we have first work before contemplating adding more classes and expensive trophies. not to put words in JK's mouth, but that was my take on what he had said.