Engine guards

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by seandcontracting, Nov 9, 2014.

1. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Rule 5.6.19 states multis must have engine guards or covers. As my bike does not have commercially available parts (88 cbr 600), can I make up a bridge or 'spider' arrangement I.e. A metal spiderweb so to speak to protect the cases. By running solid pegs and frame sliders to reduce the chance of the crankcase sides contacting the ground - does this qualify for protection? Info appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

As long as it is sturdy and done in a safe and workmanlike fashion, it should pass tech. I would suggest that you post up some photos when you have it mocked up or something like that, and we can give you some better feedback. Also, depending on where you live I'm sure we can find a member that is willing to help you get your bike sorted out. The vintage rider rep is Alex Dimitru, and he and the rest of the formula classic crew have a lot of experience setting these bikes up. I'd suggest you get in touch with him as he is usually very helpful.

3. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Hi Sean, you you can fabricate your own engine guards. I have aftermarket ones on my FZR400 but could easily make a set. Basically it 2-3 peices of 1/4" steel that connect together in a fashion that protects the engine and the gooey stuff inside from coming out. Mine uses 2 points where it attaches to the frame. I've crashed on em and ...they work!

fzr400 engine Guard.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

If you are fabricating, make sure that the mount you make has at least 1/2" or more from your engine cases so in the event of a crash the engine guard doesn't help break the cases.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  5. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Some good info there, I will fab up some guards. As for location, I live in Yellow Point, just outside of Ladysmith.

6. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

image.jpg

Of course, this is tape, but is this a workable pattern to start from? The clutch area is slightly outboard of the frame so I assume it has to be protected somewhat. The material will be 1/8" steel. Input?

7. Schoey

Schoey New Member

as long as your guard is solid and won't collapse in the event of a crash, it serves it purpose and will pass tech. Meaning, make sure it's solid with good welds and you won't have problems.