Eligibility for F2

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Norm, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Norm

Norm New Member

Hi all

I'm looking forward to getting back into racing this year but I'm still trying to figure out what classes to enter. In 2008 my 2001 (carbureted) R6 was eligible for the F2 class, but I've read Nikola's update on the rules and I've read the 2010 rule book and now l'm confused...

Can someone please tell me if my R6 is eligible for the F2 class? Section 7.5 of the rule book does not appear to include it, but the description of "Middleweight Superbike" at the end of Chapter 9 ("basically unchanged throughout multi-year model cycles... but are newer than the 15 year rule are eligible throughout that cycle") appears to include it. It was dyno'd at Mission at 94 hp.

Thanks,
    Norm Engensperger

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Formula 2 is now Middleweighgt Superbike

3. urquhart

urquhart New Member

Norm left novice years ago... he is plenty fast and a very safe racer. It will be great to have you back Norm

4. Norm

Norm New Member

Thanks for the interesting (and friendly) assortment of answers that still leave my question somewhat in the air, lol. However, I'll take Nikola's answer as definitive and consider my old R6 to be NOT eligible for Middleweight Superbike at this time.

Anyway, I was happy racing in F40 and Int600 in 2008, so I'll sign up for F40 and 600SS this year, which should be the same thing, eh. I look forward to some good, clean fun chasing around with you guys again :)

5. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Norm, good thing you posted this up as it made me look at the new classes offered for 2010.

It appears that you might not qualify for Middleweight Superbike, but I think your bike qualifies for Heavyweight....

From page 18:

Heavyweight Superbike:
    ?
    A class for motorcycles of unlimited displacement and modifications that are at least 10 years old. Motorcycle models that are considered to have remained basically unchanged throughout multi- year model cycles (such as 1999-2002 Yamaha R6, 2000-2003 GSXR 750, 1998-2002 ZX6-R, 2000-2001 Honda RC51, for example) but are newer than the 10 year rule are eligible throughout that cycle. Formula rules apply, but the frame and engine must be from eligible motorcycles only ( i.e. no 2002-2005 RC51 SP2 engines in 2000-2001 SP1 frames, for example). It is up to competitors to ensure that a motorcycle is legal for this class, if in doubt contact your Rider Rep.

Since I don't know a lot about R6's or any other bike for that matter, I'm sure someone will clarify soon!

Cheers,
    jac
    :)

6. Norm

Norm New Member

The lack of responses to date from the executive (other than from Nicola) suggests to me that they are looking at the wording of the rules and considering whether or not the wording accurately conveys their intentions ;)

I agree with your observation, Jac, and taking it a step further I think that the problem of interpretation lies with the Chapter 9 descriptions that were probably meant to further clarify or expand on the legal paragraphs, namely paragraphs 7.5 and 7.6. Consider the following extractions from the Chapter 9 descriptions (which have been presented without the examples as the examples are not "legal" wording, just examples):

Heavyweight Superbike:
    "...Motorcycle models that are considered to have remained basically unchanged throughout multi- year model cycles... but are newer than the 10 year rule are eligible throughout that cycle..."

Middleweight Superbike:
    "...Motorcycle models that are considered basically unchanged throughout multi-year model cycles... but are newer than the 15 year rule are eligible throughout that cycle..."

Note that with the exception of the references to 10 or 15 years, the wording is otherwise essentially the same. Thus, the inclusion of 1999-2002 R6's in the heavyweight class seems arbitrary.

My apologies to any readers who may now be a little cross-eyed, but I used to be involved in legal jargon and I just couldn't help myself. Rather silly to pursue this, I suppose, considering that I've decided to enter 600SS instead; however, if ends up helping anyone else then it's all good and fun :)

7. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Norm, you would fit into Heavyweight Superbike, not Middleweight Superbike. Middle weight Superbike is for bikes 15 years and older, Heavy weight 10 years and older.

8. Norm

Norm New Member

Oh heck, NOW I get it, lol...

In my case, because a 1999 R6 is more than 10 years old and is therefore eligible for the heavyweight class, and because the 2000-2002 R6's remained virtually unchanged from the 1999 R6, the 1999-2002 model years are ALL eligible!!! Light bulb :)