DOT Race tires in the rain

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by nickridiculous, Apr 1, 2015.

1. nickridiculous

nickridiculous New Member

I need new boots for my SV650 ahead of the first track day 1-MAY.

I'm a novice with one set of rims and no tire warmers. I can't afford two sets of tires, so whatever I have will get used if it's 20°C and sunny and if it's 5°C and raining. I guess a street tire should work since it's supposed to have the widest temperature range and it will have a reasonable number of grooves in it, but what about trying to run a DOT race tire in the rain. Will this work?

I'm anticipating not having problems with overheating a street tire on my first weekend, no mater how warm it gets, but if a DOT race tire isn't a complete liability in the wet I might go that route.

Any thoughts?

2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Get street tires. I ran street tires (Pilot Powers) and managed to podium in the rain in my novice year, and I am not fast. DOT race tires are basically cut slicks and you will not be able to get them up to temperature without warmers nor will you be able to keep them there in wet or damp conditions.

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

DOT race tires in the rain is close to the equivalent of slicks on ice. You cannot put any power to the ground without them spinning up. Stick with a good street tire to start.

Are you on stock SV650 rims? Do you require a 160 rear? If you are not and have done the GSXR modification, I have quite a few take offs for you if you want. Plenty of life left in them for a novice. All are 180 rears and 120 fronts.

4. nickridiculous

nickridiculous New Member

Thanks for the offer Dean, but I'm on stock rims.

5. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Just get a good set of street tires. A stockish SV isn't going to destroy tires in the dry anyway. I would lean toward something more street rather than racer/street.