Dirt Bike or Race Bike

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by dasein, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Look here John-

Thoughtful, well reasoned posts like that have no business on this site. Confuses us all.

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I don't see any negative issues with allowing per round licenses. All MX clubs offer that, with each day pass/license payment going towards the annual license if the person decides to join for the entire season. Many people have commitments that make it impossible to make all the weekends and would rather pay per race than per season. I understand the reasoning of the original rule, but the club is losing more money than they are saving with that rule.

Just a point: lots of Vancouver Islanders race Washington since it's easier to go there from Victoria than getting to Mission, and I think some of them would commit to race a round or two at Mission if we allowed the per race memberships.

3. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Stop the sanity!!!

4. tt600

tt600 New Member

that's the way I read the rule....and that's why I was suggested it....

5. younglion

younglion New Member

Stock exhaust rule excluded, that would be me for sure.

I understand the club wanting to protect it's members however I am not sure I agree with the reasoning as it's an exclusionary rule, not one that fosters cross-club participation.

My WMRRA license for $175 covers 7-8 rounds I believe, roughly $25/round and with the WMRC only having 4 rounds, that per round fee is MUCH higher. Is there any other fee's with racing a round at Mission - gate fee's, ambulance fee's, airfence fee's, etc?

6. jcathie

jcathie Member

But you are WRONG, Day Old Bread Breath (to quote Johnny Carson).

Nobody has a compulsory fee for Airfence. Someone else can answer for medical/ambulance fees. Everybody has gate fees.

Your CDN$150 WMRC license will work for you at WMRRA (US$175), OMRRA (US$100), and EMRA (CDN$40). That means 7 WMRRA weekends, 4 WMRC weekends, 6 OMRRA weekends and 7 EMRA weekends; totaling 24 weekends, all for $150. I'm going to ignore any conflicts with dates.

You likely paid WMRRA US$125 for a 2013 gate pass. WMRC charges $50. The WMRC gate pass works out to about $5 cheaper per weekend than WMRRA. OMRRA charges US$95 for their 2013 gate pass. If you're going to race the venue you gotta get the annual gate pass or pay the daily gate fees regardless so it's a spurious argument.

WMRRA does not have a reciprocity agreement with EMRA so you'd have to pay WMRRA US$30 for a weekend license if you were on an EMRA license. I imagine EMRA would have some sort of extra fee just for you if you showed up with a WMRRA license too, but I'm not going to spend any more of my time doing your research for you. I seriously doubt OMRRA has a reciprocity agreement with EMRA either. With the reciprocity agreement WMRC enjoys between WMRRA, OMRRA and EMRA, you are getting the most bang for the buck AND supporting your local club.

7. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

OK, so WMRRA has 8 rounds, so does the WMRC, theirs just take 2 days while ours take 1. If you're a novice you go down there for 2 days, stay over etc, for 3 practice sessions and 2 - 8 lap races total. If you race a 250 Ninja, on Saturday you get 2 practices, on Sunday you get 1 practice and a 6 lap race. I'm sure there are bikes you could race that would work out better and that there are other classes the 250 could run in but those were the 2 I looked at.

At Mission, Novices get 2 practice sessions and 2 races per day. 250 Pilots something similar depending on what bump up classes they enter.

Better deal? Not on straight $$ but to each their own.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  8. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

No longer a rule, but we still have a 88dB limit. I don't know if there were any bikes blowing over at the first weekend, but it seemed fairly quiet overall. Both my bikes have after-market exhaust with diffusers and no issues. Dyno showed only about a 1hp loss with exhaust diffuser on both bikes!!

9. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

You buy a season license to retain a number and support your local club. The license fee covers our insurance costs for the season, as well as start up deposit costs, costs to keep our staff in lunches, water, refreshment, etc. When I say staff, I mostly mean our corner marshals that carry our asses off the track when we hit it without rubber side down. Additional fees we charge are: $40 medical fee. This covers our ambulance costs for the day provided by BC Ambulance. $10 gate fee. This is our profit and will go towards a new AMB timing system so that we have parity in timing with our closest neighboring clubs. Prior to that, it went towards airfence. After that is just race fees, and those just cover our costs to rent the track and other race day costs.

John Cathie has stated the obvious value in the WMRC license. The main licensing fee that you pay for is to keep your number. If you are a visiting rider, like Jay for instance, you would be changing your numbers to 124, 421, 224, 422, etc. You would change it to something not assigned to a regular member. We only allow the X for the WCC weekends. Last year, OMRRA had me running 242 because both 42 and 142 were taken.

So, if you want the change, find someone with a voting membership to submit the proposal to their rep for consideration in next years rulebook.

10. Hiener

Hiener New Member

That is correct, I chatted with couple of the racers last year and that's how they explained it for a weekend race schedule

$175 for motofit friday practice, race fees for weekend = Saturday morning practise then 1 race on sunday, I think they were going to try to change it to add another race on a sunday but scheduling seems to be fairly tight as well. I would love to race at the ridge, but seems like a crazy amount of time doing nothing for one 250 race.

Reminds me to try to get my ass to the track this year.

11. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

At wmrra I got 2 practices then 3 races Saturday, and 1 practice and three races Sunday. Fees were 225 for Saturday and 150 for Sunday.

I think it was 600ss, 750ss, Open SS and then 600 superbike, 750 superbike, and open superbike. I did not run formula ultra, could have, I did the math and would not have been lapped (I hope!!!).

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  12. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Yeah, grids of six and these guys are worried about if you use an X or not...

13. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Open and Superbike had grids of 20+ bikes last weekend. Looks like WMRRA had a grid of 8 bikes in OSS and 16 in Superbike. Great work by Robarts on the win.

14. Ryan Whittle

With the 750 classes the US have, it really is nice to be on a 600. Being a middleweight twin guy I haven't been to Portland since they changed the schedule. Waste of time to drive all that way for one race on Saturday and one on Sunday, but to each their own.

15. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Was the WCC that big? Great news for you guys. I still don't think you have anywhere near the number of racers WMRRA has, hence my point.

16. Ryan Whittle

results sheets disagree. WCC was a good turnout though. Not sure what this has to do with you coming out and racing this weekend though.

If I don't see you this weekend, enjoy the dirt bike ride. Should be a nice weekend again.

Cheers,

Ryan

17. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Nothing at all, other than it goes to the general culture of the club... more concerned with ego and rules (as long as one of the key eight guys supports those rules) than increasing racer numbers.

But hey, that is only my opinion. If I ran the club... I would not give a shit about number appearance, competitiveness or what have you. It would be more like a track day and less like a race club.

Specifically with respect to numbers: if your DB Com does not work, that is your problem. Not scoring. I would not see a need for numbers on the bike at all once gridding was done.

How about a sportsman's rule: if any protest occur in any class... the results of that round are just thrown out! Any protest! Whoa! Radical!

There is no money in this. Contingency is largely gone. It is and should be only about gentlemen racing motorcycles. IMHO. What else is the point?

It felt to me like sportsmanship was a bit deficient at WMRC... but that was my personal experience. I am sure it is not everyone's.

It is not a club I wish to be a member of any longer. I would, however, occasionally race there if they recognized my WMRRA licence. Maybe next year.

But I can also see how by next year I may not be interested in Mission at all any longer. Whatever. Hardly matters.

The purpose of this thread was to point out the option of a weekend licence to your club. You guys decide if you want it or not. I will ask again at the next round that I would consider attending.

Cheers!

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  18. younglion

younglion New Member

Thank you for some clarity, however I'm curious as to why you SELL WMRC as having reciprocity with all the other Clubs yet don't see the humor in NOT offering the same courtesy back to them? Buy a WMRC license and get to play in all the other sandboxes but buy a license from any other sandbox and you don't get to play in yours? Interesting to say the least...

Regardless, I would like to try racing at Mission at some point however it is hard to justify if you look at it from my personal perspective:

- One weekend racing there is an additional $150 license plus the gate fee's and ambulance fee's so $200 on top of race fee's, ferry costs, and the other fee's we all know about.
    - Club policy on set up and tear down. this was discussed at length over the winter and I HATE being labelled a slacker but wouldn't be able to stay behind and help with tear down as I'd be hard pressed to get the last ferry home as it is. There was no allowance for Islanders on this last I checked.

It's great to see some of your Clubs racers doing very well at WMRRA events though - Robarts, Lalonde, Pajee(?), and others have all done very well and been accepted into the tribe - kudos to them, great racers and additions to the paddock IMO.

19. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

After reading all the comments, it seems to me that a weekend membership for BC residents should be an option, at least for next year, or if the executive can arrange it this year as well? There are at least a few racers who live in BC and choose to race exclusively with WMRRA and/or OMMRA. If the fee structure is such that the cumulative cost is more expensive than buying the license outright, then those racers who race the majority of their time at Mission will still buy the full license prior to the season starting. The incentive of keeping your race number will also encourage racers to buy the full license I would think?

Just my 5 cents worth....which isn't much these days ;)

20. jcathie

jcathie Member

You are correct about the WMRRA gate pass. My bad eyesight and small print on the screen.

I'll have Santa put a dictionary on your Xmas gift.list. Reciprocity is just that. WMRC welcomes out of province racers with out of province race licenses with open arms. WMRRA, OMMRA and EMRA honor out of state (or province) racers with certain other licenses. That courtesy has been in effect since the 1980's with WMRRA and OMRRA. To their credit, it was even carried on by WMRRA and OMRRA while the WMRC had no place to race in the 1990's.

Support your local club and get reciprocity out the ying-yang. The choice was yours to make.

Islanders are not slackers because they need to run for the ferry. Always has been, always will be. There's always set-up if you make it in time.

WMRC members have a history of doing very well at WMRRA and OMRRA, for the most part, because Westwood and Mission were/are very technical tracks. The current WMRC members that raced at Westwood know this. If you could go fast at Westwood, you could go fast anywhere. I heard a story where, in the 1980's a very fast Washington state racer was convinced to come up to Westwood and take on the locals. He was beaten soundly by the locals.

There would appear to be racing in Alberta for the forseeable future. Castrol Raceway is planning on paving Phase 2 of the road course this summer. I've heard that EMRA is in discussions with them for events in 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.