December 2014 General Meeting

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by Jaybo, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

lol - Gary, you've seen Office Space right?

e83408615fb15868ade11d20d1deeee0.jpg

2. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Gary you want changes, well we're trying to make changes.. but the fact is there are too many fixed equations that are not in our favour. The car club, the dates, the rental cost. A couple poor rounds and we won't be able to afford to rent the track and then where are we? I'm all for racing on a sunny friday or monday, but we need all our racers out not just the some who have the day off or can book their vacation time to allow for weekday racing, we also need as many spectators as possible.. unfortunately people won't book off work to come watch racing. We also need corner workers and event staff to run the event safely. More people we won't get and can't afford to pay. At this point with the poor dates, the high cost and the drop in racers, we're willing to try anything to keep the club afloat. Personally I have one idea, but it's kind of a last resort type thing that most likely people won't like anyways. And if people don't like it they don't come so..... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I feel the weight of every decision, I know things aren't perfect but if people want local club racing it needs to be supported, perfect or not. I love this club, it's brought a lot to my life I only hope that I can help to ensure it's continuation.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I've recommended it before at riders meetings and was basically told to shut it, but I'll bring it up again. We cannot rely on unpaid volunteers to show up before we can confirm racing is on or not. I spent 5 years on a MX club executive and we pay each flagger $50 per day plus lunch. It's worked into the budget. If you have 80+ racers show up from all around the province (or farther) and the club cancels a race date due to lack of flaggers (which has been threatened a few times recently), you can guarantee the club ends on that day. Charge a bit more on race entry, start a fundraising program which only objective is to raise money to pay flaggers. Whatever it takes. Some of the old faithful flaggers will say keep the money. Bonus for the club! This is one of the most serious topics for the new executive to tackle. Several youth clubs (swimming, martial arts, football etc) love the opportunity to raise money for their club by providing flaggers. Food for thought (like there isn't enough to sort out right now, lol).

4. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Some very good points made by everyone.

When I joined the club in 2011 track setup and tear down was a huge issue and I suggested paying people to do it. I was told it was tried and didn't work because it cost the club too much. This was very hard on the few who did the setup and tear down every time while others drank beer in the pits. Last season Andrew was very proactive recruiting people to help and the many hands made the job much easier. With some additional incentive such as race credits we will likely get more help making it less of an issue.

I'm all for paying corner workers (if we can afford it) to ensure we can race and there are no delays getting started. I'm guessing we would need a minimum of 9 corner workers at $50 each costing $450/day or the equivalent of 2 to 3 entry fees/day. If we had 50 entries (not sure if that's about break even) it would cost each racer an extra $9/day. When the call went out for volunteers last September we had as many volunteers as racers thanks to Pam's efforts.

As Jason said, less racers and more expenses makes things very challenging and the executive will want to save where they can and not take unnecessary risks i.e. weekdays which are more likely a financial loss at this time. With declining big bike ridership it's anyone's guess how many will be returning next season. The sooner we decide on race/track days the better and I would suggest an early bird licence price to get more racers on board sooner than later. Even with the best of planning we can't do much about the weather (other than preregistration) which requires some insurance in the club bank account.

Hopefully the silent majority reflect the positive thoughts and interest here and will come out and support the club. If we can have a great season and grow our membership/participation we shouldn't have to go through this every year.

5. Ryan Whittle

I think our race fees are creeping up a little too high. I also have concern over paying people if CRA were to take the view that it was salary and we got hit with penalties.

Need to look into it a bit more, but if we could get some cash into the hands of corner workers in exchange for perhaps having the exec members only get their first class free, maybe it would balance out cashflow wise?

6. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

I have been a member of this club since 2002 an I have seen the ups and downs over the last few years. One thing I saw over the last few years is the lack of spectators in the stands.
    As I own a dealership here and every year someone from the club comes to see me asking to sponsor a class. Why would I sponsor a class? I know most if not all the people in the club and all I ever see in the stands are other racers and their family. How am I going to justify the expence to the accountant when I get nothing out of it.
    Everyone is saying we need to lower the entrance fees and licence fees. Get more people in the stands.
    There is a ride of some sort every weekend. Ride for Dad, ride for cancer, ride for what ever. Why are they not ending the ride at Mission race track? Give them a free entrance and they will return. Talk to the riding schools, get them to make a ride out one sunny Sunday. If they come once they will be hooked and come watch more.
    Get asses in the seats and the money will come. If you go to someone Lordco, Napa, Pepsi who ever, and tell them we get on average 30-50 people watching are they going to spend advertising money here? No. Tell them there we 250 people in the stands last weekend and watch the money come in. Take pictures with the stands full and use that as leverage to get them to sponsor.
    Just my opinion.

7. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

BINGO!!!

Fix the show.
    And... that's not just management. ALL the racers need to be on board.
    No announcer = no show.
    A bad announcer isn't much better.
    Get the day done fast! Delays are f**king boring. Watch the stand empty, especially is it's too hot, or cold out.
    If you finish at 3:30, I bet you get no complaints.
    Delays between races because everyone wants warmer tires than the next guy suck ass when you're sitting in the sun twirling your thumbs.
    Bring back the anthem singer damn it.
    Don't think like a racer, think like a fan.

8. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

Couldn't Agree with you more Eddie. This year there are plans in place to increase spectator attendance. All the parties mentioned above WILL be contacted and invited to come down and enjoy some motorcycle racing. Vendor fees will be reduced to allow for a larger vendor attendance.
    Music?? Yes .
    Anthems?? As long as they can sing :)
    More people= more fun= more value to our sponsors.

9. Ryan Whittle

I've always enjoyed doing the announcing. I would be happy to do announcing for classes that I'm not racing in next year.

10. Bernie

Please take this man up on his offer ;-)

11. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

We'd love to have your help Ryan, you've always done a good job :)

12. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

And you could probably do it even with the classes you're racing in, since you're usually on the ground in turn 2 on lap 1 . If you judge your getoff roll right, you could be up in the tower before the rest of the field is in turn 4 !

13. Ryan Whittle

I think the wireless mic reaches Turn 2...

14. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Not saying anything :laughing

15. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIttttttttt'sssssssssssssss show time!!!!!!!!!! And here is your host little R.W.:bow:

16. jcathie

jcathie Member

Whittle with Ted and Paul. The 3 Amigos. Yesss!!!!

With live timing available on mobile devices everyone has lap times and leader info instantly.

17. Ryan Whittle

Yeeah Boyyyeeeeeeeeeeee

052713-PublicEnemy-630.jpg

18. jcathie

jcathie Member

FWIW, SCCBC is using a tablet to get their live timing information off RaceMonitor.com for their announcer. Maybe when we're flush with ca$h .... But if our announcers have their own personal tablets ...?

19. Ryan Whittle

i'll bring mine

20. Bernie

Better than good!
    Seriously, you have the knack, the club really really needs your talent.
    You can provide action on and off the pavement ;-)
    Do it!