December 2014 General Meeting

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by Jaybo, Dec 9, 2014.

1. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

I heard the problem is getting enough volunteers to run the track. I like Mondays too - would be good to hear from other racers and our track staff. Unless combined with a race or track day it seems like a lot of work for a one day event.

2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Monday races have been both discussed and tried. The issue is getting racers, and also volunteers. Essentially we have to pay for the corner workers to ensure we can run the event, and that means we need more racers, but for every racer that gets Mondays off we have another racer that has to work, and so the math does not really add up.

For West Coast track days, they have also tried Mondays and they've found them to be less attended than Fridays, so they also don't generally run them.

3. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

So you are telling me that all the racers get Fridays off? Does that mean they get three day week ends? I think that may not be the case, more than likely people take Friday to go racing, or help out. For every racer that gets Fridays off we have another racer that has to work Mondays, so that math does not work either, look at both sides of the membership not just the traditional. What works for one may not work for others, its about balance through out.

Another thought, in most cases you have to spend money to make money, so the saying goes. To get more racers you have to be flexible and think outside the box. If you can get volunteers every Friday without paying, then so be it and we will just move on. If you have to budget a couple days of corner workers to make the racing viable for more racers then more will come. I just find no matter who makes the plans for the club it is the same thought process every year. Something has to be tried or we all are just spinning our wheels.

Not to make waves but I am not the only one that has these thoughts.

Moving on.

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

The advantage of taking a Monday date over a Friday date is that the motorcycle industry traditionally has Sunday/Monday off.

Weekdays in general are tough though.

5. GaryM.

I get weekends no problem, but just add flavor to the mix. Have a Sun - Mon once a year, with the Sat - Sun usual. Club racing is suppose to be no profit so there is a pile of money in the treasury (not lots but some), use some of that every year to allow payment of corner workers etc. if need be. Friday is a weekday same as Monday, just on the other end. Weekends will always be the ideal for the majority, but more options means more racers, if track time is available at the beginning of all the planning.

6. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Just my guess but I think the the normal 9-5er's work mon-fri and can justify taking off early (friday) for the week-end. the same group probably finds it harder to justify starting the week late by taking monday off.

Obviously I would be stoked to have a monday race since I work in the industry. I consumed most of my vacation days this year racing, and had to hear the grumblings of co-workers that don't like the idea of taking time off during the "busy" season.

7. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

From the white collar corporate world, a lot of my clients have staff that take Friday off to enjoy an early weekend. It's much more acceptable for me to take a Friday off since many of my client's staff take that off too. Taking a Monday off in the corporate world, seems to imply a late start to the week and a "shortened week" is not productive.

I know same difference, but one is more acceptable than the other, even though they even out.

8. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

Come on Jay. Your in the industry, I wouldnt say there is much working being done.

9. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Fair enough Eddie, I get paid to be in a motorcycle shop Tues-Sat, better? Poor suckas that work a normal job lololol!

10. GaryM.

I get that, but in fairness to the collective, balance would be nice. If Friday offers have to miss a Monday race, it would balance with Monday offers missing a Friday. That's all

11. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

As the motorcycle industry is feast or famine, someone working in it is hard pressed to take a Friday off in the peak part of the season.
    For those that have real jobs, what's the difference between Monday and Friday? Almost nothing when you have 4 months notice to ask for a day off.
    Unfortunatley the club doesn't seem to be given wiggle room for convenience, so you might need a bit more of 'the club needs', and a bit less of 'what works best for me'......

12. GaryM.

No need to make things personal, just trying to open ideas to get more ridership. Don't want to make you all hot under the collar.

13. Ryan Whittle

Pump the brakes everyone. I think there is definitely something to be said about taking Mondays over Friday, or even getting Mondays for an extra day.

With that being said, I feel the need to post this as well....

uh-oh-sounds.jpg

14. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Ideas are good Gary... the more riders able to participate in the club the better. It's impossible to meet everyone's needs but the club is doing it's best and any help/support is appreciated. Is it that difficult for motorcycle industry people to get some race days off? People like Jay are doing a lot to promote their brand and racing which should be good for the industry. Would your business provide you with some sponsorship to help you race with the club again?

15. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

Gary, if that is directed at me, you should know better! (friendly exclamation by the way)
    It's definitely not personal, and I'm not hot under the collar at all.
    I skimmed through most of the responses ;-)
    It's a business answer, that's all.
    In my opinion, one of the weaknesses the club has had is not involving local industry people, so a Monday race day, maybe invite shop people to come do an extended taste of racing just for them, etc.....
    And I used to be a slave to my shop, so Fridays off are tough from March to September. Add $200 to race costs for them.
    Just my opinion, nothing more.

16. Ryan Whittle

Hey Gary....

7775af10e4d559b7b79ebb5ae0172f7fc795dee2b91634496094733958dc5e36.jpg

17. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Just want to point out that as far as Fridays go, that is entirely up to the folks at West Coast Superbike School and what they do with their trackdays. For next year we don't currently have any plans to run any race events that aren't a weekend or statutory holiday, we just don't have the numbers to do otherwise. We need 1) racers, 2) volunteers and 3) spectators (roughly in that order) in order to make our events a success and if we try to do something during the week we are losing out from every one of those categories.

That said, we are working hard to engage with local bike shops and we are trying to offer them incentives to try to attend our events, TOR is one of the things that has come up and I think that it's something that we need to try to use to attract as many people as we can (corner marshalls, vendors, spectators etc.).

I do want to thank every one for contributing as these kinds of discussions are very helpful when we're trying to come up with new ideas on how to do things differently.

18. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

19. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

If it were up to me we'd be racing Tuesday to Thursday. Oh wait...

20. GaryM.

Demotivational-Posters-49.jpg

Is this picture on topic or just comedy relief???