December 2014 General Meeting

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by Jaybo, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

WMRC
    Meeting Minutes
    December 8, 2014
    Opening
    The regular meeting of the WMRC was called to order at 7:03 pm on December 8, 2014 in Langley by Andrew Marles.

Present
    12 members
    Jason Hanson- Vice President
    Brett Hanson - Treasurer
    Andrew Marles - President
    George Filis - Promotions
    Pam Black - Secretary

Previous Business
    With respect to the theft incident at the last race round, Andrew has confirmed that the security at the gate is only responsible for calling the fire department should there be a fire.

Treasurer Report
    Brett Hanson reported $11, 625.00 in the account, $184.80 outstanding to Hollywood North for rental of generator for last round.
    Cost for the bike show will be approximately $2500, $2100 for the booth alone.
    We will be selling a Season’s Gate Pass at the bike show to try to front load some revenue. Race Licenses and Social Memberships will also be available again, along with tshirts, hats etc.
    Open Issues

Promotions,
    George has been talking to Red Bull, Kawasaki, a brewery, and Cascade Pools has committed to sponsoring a class. George handed out some promotions packages for members to show to businesses in their areas. There was discussion on the value to a sponsor for promotions packages, suggested that we offer free gate passes or free Taste of Racing as part of what they get for their commitment. There are also plans to have a promotions tent on race day, selling tshirts, hats, sweatshirts etc.
    New Business

WCSS has committed to doing the race schools again this year, and we are also discussing plans for running our own track day, suspension clinic, advanced rider training, or something to that effect. Details will follow. We would like to cultivate more membership by trying to come up with more venues to hold events.
    Rule Book committee is reviewing the proposals, additions of classes, no report at this time.
    Possible Race Dates – April 17,18,19, May 1, 2, 3, May 15, 16, 17 (WCC). August 3, September 18, 19, 20
    Andrew suggested the other option is that we do a shortened season, May 15 16 17 (WCC) and August 3 and also proposed that if we do all the dates, preregistration would be mandatory. If there is not enough prereg confirmed 2 weeks prior to the date, the event would be canceled. There is a valid concern that there needs to be a commitment from the members to run all these dates, rain or shine, as there is a very real threat of the club becoming insolvent.
    These are the best of the dates offered to us, there were also March and October dates.
    There was discussion of single race weekend licenses available to people who may only race one round with us that hold licenses with other race organizations.
    Jason brought up some issues regarding online propriety, there will be no disrespect tolerated and posts that are deemed offensive will be removed. Please treat each other with respect, if you have an issue with a person please try to work it out together peacfully.
    Agenda for Next Meeting

TBA
    Adjournment
    Meeting was adjourned at 8:28 by Andrew Marles. Seconded by Rob Schoemeyer. The next general meeting will be at 7pm on January 12th, 2015
    Minutes submitted by: Pam Black

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Thanks to Jason for posting the minutes in a record setting time! In regards to the minutes, if the security is limited to calling for fire department (a total liability cop-out btw), I propose we save that money and use our own club members for security. If the people staying at the track can take shifts (maybe 2 hours each) doing gate security throughout the evening (11pm - 6am), the club could offer them one free race entry (or something similar). In regards to having a 3 race series when we have the potential to run 9, I believe that may be the fastest way to end this club. Racers don't spend the winter building bikes to compete in a three race season. You'll basically be forcing guys to head south, and once they ride the Ridge, they may not return.
    But I do like the idea of two week pre-register requirement though. :)

3. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Hey don't thank me. It's all Pam, thank her. All I did was post them up.

It's not a bad idea of using the members as security, but it may be difficult to follow through with. If I remember correctly the "secuity guard" is there as a requirement of our weekend contract, i'm not sure it will fly if we take over the matter internally.

I understand what you're are saying about the schedule, at this time nothing has been decided, we're just trying to brainstrom ways of making the best out of what we have without the risk of bankrupting the club.

4. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

I'm volunteering you Dean for first guard Duty. On Guard, Soldier!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

I was toying with the thought of racing again this year, but like last year, the dates are not worth it. For my membership fees I get three races being as I work in the industry. No very cost effective. Also, is it three race days or like the old days,track day Friday and race Sat and Sun?

6. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Gary, I believe the exec is discussing licence options. What would entice you to race again?

7. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Race dates in the summer would entice Gary to race again, this would work for many other members too. I understand that the club is doing the best it can with the dates given to work from, and hope we can come up with a worthwhile solution. However, if racers want to race in the summer (let''s be realistic - of course they do) they will be looking to do so in another club.

I have to be honest and say that the dates are disappointing and I don't want to shoot the messenger. It is just sad that the WMRC gets the shaft by the car club. I understand that it is their playground, but it makes me think that their meetings are full of laughter while they choose available dates for the motorcycle club. I can't be the only one that is thinking the same thing.

As a positive contribution consider this: We could have an all out race season blitz in the month of May, then use the August date as a track day and WMRC banquet/bbq!

8. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

You're not the only one Jay. year after year the same thing. :banghead:

9. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Gary told me he loves racing in the rain but I'm sure he prefers summer like most of us. I thought his issue was more related to the number of days he could race for the licence cost. There is already a weekend licence and the exec is discussing the options regarding this.

I think your idea of a race blitz in May and using the August date is a great idea. My only concern would be the 50% chance of rain in May and the club losing a pile of money due to low attendance. I think the only way to do that safely is by preregistration/payment for the May dates and cancel if not financially viable (if possible) as suggested by Andrew. Without a reasonable number of summer dates to offset any shoulder season losses the risk of bankrupting the club is high.

Apparently Mission is a very busy track and there are only so many summer dates for all track users - unfortunately we appear to be the lowest priority. It would be great if the SCCBC could find a way to give us a couple of weekends between June and the end of August so we can have a decent season and balance the financial risk - some recognition for being good long term track users with a rich club history would be appreciated!

This was suggested as a viable option:
    • May 15, 16, 17 - Mission track day/race school/race weekend (WCC) - Preregistration/payment only
    • June 27, 28 - WMRRA race weekend at The Ridge
    • July ? - Track day at The Ridge
    • August 3 - Mission race day
    • August ? - Track day at the Ridge/Edmonton race weekend
    • September 18, 19, 20 - Mission track day/race weekend? - Preregistration/payment only
      I added September because the weather is often still good but unfortunately attendance is typically poor
      Possible Edmonton conflict in August depending on their schedule
    The above provides the club with a good number of track and race days without significant financial risk. We could use our licence fees and any fund raising to subsidize great road trips as a club instead of wasting our time and money at Mission.

10. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Another issue with having the option for 9 races but only running 3, is sponsors. Club sponsors and individual racer sponsors. Who is going to pay for such a small amount of advertising? I've secured a title sponsor for 2015 and I will feel like I should return half the funds if we run a three race series (or race WMRRA instead). Very difficult to secure club sponsorship if the 2015 schedule is for three races. If a three race series is proposed I believe you'll see members heading to WMRRA to get there moneys worth out of a race license, bike build costs, etc. If that happens, it could very well be the end of the WMRC Mission series. This race date subject needs to be discussed ASAP with the membership of the club, not just a couple of executives. Please come up with a few proposed ideas and have a vote online or email each member and get them to vote.

Edit: Options like what Steve has proposed above. :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  11. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Let's think hard before enacting a policy for cancelling race dates with the SCCBC, Imagine the dates we'll be offered in future if we hand them the track back on short notice.

12. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

If you look at the race dates that the SCCBC were offered, their hands are pretty tied with regards to summer dates. The drag racers, (who own the track) are taking 3 out of 4 weekends in July and August, which only leaves one weekend for the SCCBC to use. Could you imagine the backlash they would get from their members if they gave away their only weekend in either July or August to the WMRC? Remember that the SCCBC are the ones that paid to create the road course that we ride on.

I am in no way affiliated with the SCCBC, I just think we need to be weary about getting ready to tar and feather people who are looking out for their members. Now, if they were trying to give away a prime time weekend to the autocrossers like they have in previous years only to have the autocross guys bail when they couldn't get enough people, that is a whole other story.

I have no idea on the logistics, but a temporary airport type circuit would be nice to supplement our needs.

13. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

On another note I don't know the fee structure for Mission but there should be a substantial track rental discount for April, May and September. Especially if no one else wants to use the track then - we often have to race motorcycles in the worst possible conditions. Not to mention the risk of losing money as a club in the process!

14. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

I'd have to agree but to the best of my knowledge, there is no discount.

15. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

No discount for those months. Outside of the new Castrol racetrack, the next closest canadian racetrack is in Ontario. Mission is rented pretty much throughout the week from March - October.

16. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Temporary airport race tracks you say... In the way back machine there were some races at Chilliwack airport right?

SCCBC is doing what they need to do, I get it, I was lumping my feelings about the drag racers and the sports car guys into one statement. It's just too bad that we do have a group of dedicated motorcycle racers locally, and a number of them don't race locally because of issues like these dates.

17. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

You forgot Gimli, Manitoba. The MRA is one of the older racing clubs in Canada. ;)

18. ryno11

ryno11 New Member

Has anyone though of inviting the Mra into the wcc series? It's a longer drive for you guys and for the Mra guys, but the emra is right in the middle

19. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Looks like they have a good track but it's a 4,800 km round trip and about $1,000 in fuel.

20. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

Why don't we throw in Mondays instead of Fridays? Are they not available? If people will take off a Friday why not take a Monday to enjoy the track? have Sat - Mon or Sun - Mon thrown in with the other Fri - Sun sched. Thoughts?????