December 14, 2015 Meeting minutes

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by ducatigirl, Dec 19, 2015.

1. ducatigirl

ducatigirl Moderator WMRC Exec

WMRC General Meeting Minutes

December 14, 2015
    General meeting of the WMRC was called to order at 7:01 by Jason Hanson

Present
    5 members
    3 nonmembers
    Jason Hanson- President
    Steve McKenna – Vice President
    Brett Hanson - Treasurer
    Andrew Marles – Past President
    Jay Tait - Promotions
    Pam Black – Secretary

November 9 meeting minutes read by Jason Hanson. Motion to accept previous meeting minutes made by Rob Schoemeyer, seconded by Jay Tait.

New Business:
    Rob Schoemeyer suggested that we consider renaming our “track days” to be more inclusive to people who may be intimidated by the idea of a track day.
    Dates are not yet 100% confirmed, however deposits have been made for 10 events. We are just waiting for final word from the car club.

We will not have an official booth at the upcoming bike show, but hope have promotional material available at various dealer displays and at the PCMRC booth.
    Promotional materials will be made available once our dates are finalized.

Spero mentioned that one piece of air fence is damaged and the leaf blowers likely need to be replaced. The exec was aware that the air fence needs repair and is in the process of determining where best to have it mended. We will follow up on the leaf blower replacement. Nick Dudziak has offered to tune up the crash truck prior to the first race event. .
    We are in need of 5 more people for the rules committee. Please contact us asap if you are interested.

Treasurer Report:
    November expenses were $8,061.21 … ambulance fees, class prize money, track intel, banquet costs, trailer repair.
    We have paid $5,040.00 for deposits for our 2016 dates
    BDO $1350.56 for taxes for 2008-14 GST returns
    Current balance is $24,396.12

Promotions Report:
    Jay Tait reminded all members to be generous with their thanks to everyone who helped with your tires, brought you lunch, gave you a deal in their shop. Say thank you, write a letter, show your appreciation for their support. DON’T be cheap with your thank you’s! This is a great time of year to make the effort to show your gratitude.
    One of our sponsors has suggested that if you had an awesome experience at the track, either racing or at the school or track day, write a story about it, include some pictures and send it in to your local newspaper. Your sponsor will get his name mentioned, the club will get publicity, and you’ll be a star.

Motion to adjourn made by Jason Hanson, seconded by Rob Schoemeyer. Meeting adjourned at 7:29pm
    Minutes submitted by Pam Black.

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

There's an Airfence repair kit in the filing cabinet (at least there used to be). It had the glue and the material to patch any holes. Not sure if it's still there or not.

Ryan

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Yup, the repair kit was in there last I saw as well. I think the glue was past expiry, however, Troy and Gio did manage to source some more when they last did repairs on our airfence.

4. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

I'd like to help with the rules committee, assuming my experience and location can work with the task.

5. andre331

andre331 New Member

why won't there be a booth at the motorcycle show? where do we buy licences now? and what is the executive going to name track days? ???? how about........ westwood non competitive motorcycle all inclusive closed course riding day ........with that this money in the bank how much are our licence fees and cost of races going to drop?

6. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Yep, turning into a track day organization. It does actually seem that the club has been so target fixated on keeping track day riders happy that they have almost lost focus on the racers. Lets not lose focus on the Racing in WMRC.

7. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

thank you for the idea that there's a repair kit. We will have to take a look.

Sean, thanks but I will say there are usually Rule book meetings and unfortunately unless you were able to come over for them yourlocation could pose a problem with attending?

1. there won't be a booth because there's little to no volunteer base and we've decided to re-invest the monies spent on the show back into the club.
    2. we will be selling licences online and at club meetings and events.
    3. thank you for the name suggestion. It's a little long though.
    4. We would all like to see lower fees, however unless we become financially sustainable it seems unlikely they will be lowered. BTW, The cap was lowered in the last September rounds, there was no improvement in racer turnout.
    5. sorry but I disagree. I'm a racer. I want to race. that's all I want to do. I don't want to be president. I don't want to spend what little time I have running schools or track days. I will repeat, I want to race. if there was a way I could get around doing the things I don't want to do that I have to do in order to race I'd love it. Racer turnout has not and does not pay for a race round, let alone the next round. IE the need for alternative income. ie a school and track days.

8. andre331

andre331 New Member

thanks for the quick response to my questions jason , i agree that alternate sources of income are required to support the club, but we are a race club and we need to find ways to reduce the cost to the average racer who only enters a couple of classes and doesn't get anywhere near the cap. why don't we lower the fees for the first and second classes and then a low rate for any additional classes entered? Also was there any general request for volunteers for the bike show booth? we need to maintain representation in the motorcycling community even if its just handing out posters and selling some licences. did anybody talk to the pmrc about sharing a booth to offer anyone interested in racing a motorcycle on pavement some options?.... anyway theres my two cents worth

9. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Andre we are taking steps to be at the bike show but in a different fashion. The pcmrc has a great deal going with the show and does not need nor really want to share a booth with us. Regardless we have arranged to have our promotional materials present at the pcmrc booth and I have volunteered to work the booth on Saturday. Steve has also graciously offered to allow the wmrc poster to be up in his road craft booth.

10. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

If you have the new posters we can also put up some literature at our booth, posters, pamphlets etc.

11. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Awesome, thanks Gary. I will be in touch

12. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

I have been observing the changes happening with the WMRC, and I feel I have some points in response to this thread.

First, I find it surprising it was stated that the club doesn’t have enough volunteers to run a booth at the bike show. I can’t remember a call for volunteers. There is a volunteer sub section in the club forum with no posts asking for help since March of last year. There’s also the WMRC Facebook page where we can ask for volunteers. List the positions you need to fill - bike show, race day staff, school staff, etc. Then, if you don't get any response, we can honestly say there were no volunteers.

With the low number of racer entries, we should focus on making membership in the WMRC better than a track day, because, let’s face it, the club has shifted focus to track days and the school since that's where the revenue comes from. With the low Canadian dollar, this is the year to convince the WMRRA and OMRRA club Canadians to race with the WMRC. Having no WMRC presence at the bike show in the same year there is no bike show in Seattle is a missed opportunity to attract new membership in my opinion.

Make being a member of the club more fun - think of it as value added over being a track day rider. Have BBQ’s at the track. Watching MotoGP races on the movie screen was a good idea, let’s make it a regular thing. Move the meetings to somewhere a little fun. There are tons of ways to engage people rather than just being a track day provider. Make racers members rather than customers.

Dean asked about race day awards. You can buy medals for a dollar if you want to, but the real point is giving out awards at the podium. We can do them throughout the day, no need for a big, drawn out ceremony at the end of the race day. Making the racer's experience better should include letting a guy get up on the podium in front of his friends, family, competitors and sponsors and getting some recognition for the money and time put in.

On another note, I see the club is getting posters ready for the bike show. Don't we usually put sponsors logos on there? As a company owner who has supported the WMRC with a significant amount in sponsorship money over the last few years, I was disappointed that I didn't even get an e-mail asking if I wanted to be involved again. Telling your customers rates can't go down without making even basic efforts to retain revenue sources is disingenuous at best.

13. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

There was no call for volunteers, as not buying a booth was one of the first decisions made. It's a decision I still stand by. Made especially true by the very fact that the booth has two less execs this year that can man it. it's great hearing that we have such a strong volunteer base as I will be relying on it in the future. Especially if we are going to be doing award presentations at the track this year.

Good point about marketing towards the USA with the dollar being where it is.

I'm always disappointed to hear this talk about about "the clubs focus on being a track day provider" and "members being treated like customers" I honestly don't know why members are being so disenfranchised by the decision to run track days. We are doing this so we can continue to run race events. I'm always open to suggestions that will cause me less work and gain me more free time, so if there are ideas for alternative sources of income I would love to hear them. The club even had offered a lower cap last year and even held a couple free races for the first time I can think of.. "Lower fees" "free stuff" -but we never hear about that.

Being a new track day provider, in order to be successful it was necessary for the club to have to market our services. Those that know the club know we race, Word had to get out that we were running events in the absence of the wcss. Perhaps this is where this talk of "focus" stems from. Regardless, the only reason these events are held is so that we may race, all of this is done for the membership so it pains me to hear that the membership isn't happy with the work that is being done.

Much like last year we are currently in the process of canvassing for 2016 sponsors. At this time the poster that has been created shows, no, 'no' sponsors. It is meant to catch the eye and show what the club offers.

Regarding a lack of word from the club regarding your sponsorship last year, I have to apologize. I distinctly recall this conversation with you and as such it was something important to me that it be done. Obviously it has not been done, and for that I am sorry. We are sincerely grateful for every bit of sponsorship that we garner but again we have shown that we don't respect it enough.

I have more to say but I must attend my children's bath

14. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

The WMRC is a business. The job of a business is to stay in business! To generate revenue one must have racers in the paddock, butts in the spectator seats and a product to promote. Let us as a group of racers and enthusiasts look away sometimes what the club can do for us and what we can do for the club (modified JFK quote lol). Let's talk to and encourage friends to come for events! If we could all bring one friend to a trackday, maybe make one friend in three become a racer, there would be some dollars generated and memories made! Some friends and people think it's cool that we race-tell them why! Link up videos to Facebook, pass on info to pals on group rides on the street, work within your crowd to bring up the WMRC. I will be working hard to promote the experience we enjoy and I hope all other members will as well. I've got two pals confirmed for trackdays this year and one may do the race school (and he's a lifelong rider now in his early 60's!). They are interested from the experiences I have shared with them. Let's push the event!

Thanks to all, looking forward to spending money on the ferries coming over to see you all!

15. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

We just need another 50 Sean Durrell's to join our ranks!