CHECK YOUR HELMET! SNELL 2010 Required!

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Ryan Whittle, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

We are only 2 months out from the start of racing season. Now is a great time to check your helmet to ensure you are Snell 2010 compliant.

I would hate to have to field questions from racers for not having a Snell 2010 or equivalent (read the rulebook for acceptable alternatives) who are not allowed to race because of their helmet.

I got caught out myself in Edmonton last year, wouldn't want others to have to scrample like I did to get a helmet

2. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

What??? Hmmm... I sure missed the dialog on this. Why exactly? The EMRA rule is stupid. Helmets in general are awesome. We cannot go out and through away our gear every time there is a new improvement.

Snell 2005 was safe enough for last year... what changed? Did we have an incident we can blame on the Snell 2005 standard?

Are we doing this because EMRA does it? WMRRA does not rule out Snell 2005... apparently will not until the next Snell standard is out, which makes sense to me, as it will have very little financial impact on the racers. I read a post on their forum that they would disallow Snell 2005 when Snell 2015 comes out, at which point of course there will be very few Snell 2005 left in the wild.

What is next? Mandatory Leitt braces and air vests? You can't take the risk out of racing, no matter what standard the helmet has.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

In 2011 after the AGM,WMRC told all riders that in 2013 all rider would need to update there helmets to snell 2010.So everyone has had a year.

4. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Really? Just curious: how did we tell us? I was not at the AGM... was it announced then?

5. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

There's been chatter about the change for a year or so. It's been brought up at riders meetings last year too. I think the rules also allow the cheaper ECE 22.05 standard instead of Snell.

6. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

So the formal announcement was the release of the rule book?

7. kingston

kingston New Member

I questioned Dean about this at the last meeting because the rule book is not real clear, i read it as saying only snell 2010 for the 2013 racing season. But Dean told me ECE 22.05 was still ok as long as it was 5 years old or less.

8. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

9. jcathie

jcathie Member

10. dasein

dasein WMRRA #24

Huh. Did not know that till now.

11. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

It is the responsibility of every racer to read the rule book.

Also, it was discussed in the minutes of the meeting from January 2012 http://www.westwoodracing.com/forum...-minutes-for-January-16-2012&highlight=helmet

And this thread from March 2012 http://www.westwoodracing.com/forums/showthread.php?5646-Helmets&highlight=helmet

Its been in the rule book for 2 years now.

I just thought I would post up a reminder in case anyone forgot. I had to replace an Arai Corsair that was Snell 2005 so I feel some of your pain.

12. Simon

Simon New Member

Snell 2005 sucks anyhow, way too hard.

13. kingston

kingston New Member

Again i agree. All my research tells me snell 2005 is good if you want a still pretty face in your open casket.