Case covers.....

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by nac.00, Mar 6, 2010.

1. nac.00

nac.00 New Member

To my understanding, rules at mission require all bikes to have engine/stator/clutch covers.
    I purchased my bike from a race school instructor in Gimli (Manatoba)....He had layered on a crap load of solid epoxy on the covers. He has been doing this for years and the stuff takes forever to grind down (according to him).
    Would I be alright to run this set-up or will I have to go out and buy some woodcraft covers?
    Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good rule, but to me, these look like they are quite reinforced.
    I was hoping to get the go ahead from a director....
    I can take pictures if needed.
    Thanks Guys

Neil

2. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

I have seen this before but ultimately Nikola and Simon (Techs) have last say on whether or not you get the okee dokee to go out.

3. mspeedman

mspeedman #56

I would say that as long as the epoxy is covering the area on the cover that will make contact to the ground you will pass tech.

I will say however that this method will not save the magnesium case from cracking on a hard side impact like a highside where the bike lands on the case. The epoxy will shatter and break the case spilling oil ,unlike the carbon or kevlar covers that are cushined in between by the high temp silicone that bonds the outer cover to the case.

Still the best is to use proper cnc'd aluminium covers, worth there weight when you do have a mishap IMHO.

4. Simon

Simon New Member

Post pics please.