Brake fluid level

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by SethS, Aug 2, 2010.

1. SethS

SethS New Member 2010

A bit of a safety related issue here. I thought this to be the place for this thread, but will also post it in the video section. It has do do with brake fluid level.

This vido shows some blazing fast riding. :bow: Scalding! Here a Yam R6 lapping around the Magny-Cours track, but of note check out the behavior of the brake fluid in the reservoir!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phe6V4s7aWo&feature=player_embedded

Point 1; Notice during turns that the fluid does not sit level in the sense of side to side. This shows how much of an affect is exerted by the rider hanging off the inside during turns to keep the bike more level.

Point 2; It would seem to me that if the fluid is not topped up enough that there would be the danger of the fluid sloshing enough that it momentrily uncovers the inlet to the brake line and thus introduces some air into the system...obviously with an accompanyimg danger of loss of braking power!:behead

Keep your brake comfortably fluid topped higher than the minimum mark 'cause even this rider's fluid looks like it's just a bit below the 1/2 way mark and even that looks marginal when watching it as he rides.

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

physics! Under heavy braking, the fluid travels to the front due to inertia, and thus looks like it's low, but it's not. It's just the fluid traveling around the reservoir. Yes, it could use just a touch more fluid, but I don't think it would introduce air into the lines.

3. SethS

SethS New Member 2010

Quite right Dean, it's mainly under braking or hard accelleration when the fluid goes off level the most, BUT, imagine the sloshing which takes place (and this is seen in the video clearly) in combination with any bumps encountered along the way. BTW, if you view any more of this same riders vids he has wisely topped the fluid level higher!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010