Bolt size and strength

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Schoey, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Schoey

Schoey New Member

I would like to add another link to my drive chain to bring the rear axle back as far as I can. The problem is, the bolts that extends out to push the rear axle backward won't extend far enough. The size is M8-50 (grade 11). I found the size that will fit (M8-60), but its only a grade 8 bolt. Why does this boly have to be grade 11? Why couldn't it be a lower grade bolt? Does it really see that much stress?

If this isn't good enough, where can I find a M8-60 in a higher grade?

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

The tech side of me tells me there must be a reason to use such a high strenght bolt, the pratical side of me can't figure out what that reason is. Bolt strenght is somewhat related to shear load and I can't see that much stress being put on that bolt, especially since the axle nut carries a significant clamp load.

3. Schoey

Schoey New Member

Another thing is that the swingarm is aluminium. There's no way that any grade of steel bolt would cause a problem, especially fastened to aluminium.

There's an 11 stamped on the bolt head. This is the only thing that makes me think it's a grade 11. The bolt head itself is a 10mm.

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

But what does the frosted side tell you?

5. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

You don't want to see my frosted side!!!

6. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

usually metric bolts are x.x rated ... 8.8 or 10.9 etc

imperial are rated with small //// marks, 3 /// marks being grade 5, 5 ///// marks being grade 8 etc etc..

I've never seen a bolt with an 11 stamped on it.

I would stop in at a bolt or industrial supply store, Fastenal would like be your best bet, and ask them what they think it is, I think any high strength bolt will do... engine mounts and frame sliders are 10.9, I can't see you needing aything that special.

7. Gamma Nick

Gamma Nick OFOF

Bolt Strength

Schoey -

I think the lower grade bolt will be fine. As long as your axle is adequately torqued there won't be an issue.

Nick

8. JAMR

JAMR W M R C 1983, 84, 85

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  9. Schoey

Schoey New Member

I invested $3 in some Home Depot M8-60 bolts that I think will do. I'll visit fastenall on the weekend to find out what the 11 stamped in there means. Being fastened into aluminum, I don't think it matters what strength it is. The aluminum will fail first.

10. Simon

Simon New Member

That will work fine, the chain adjusters don't really have any load if the axle is tightened properly.

11. Schoey

Schoey New Member

Found out today from Pacific Fasteners that the 11 marking is a manufacturers symbol and judging by the hardness of the bolt, it's not a high grade steel. A steel bolt will do, but don't stainless.

Thanks for all the info people. I have what I need.