bike vin

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by vanilla18, Nov 25, 2009.

1. vanilla18

vanilla18 New Member

My question is concerning a bike I'm looking into buying. The owner told me that the bike has "No papers on frame, VIN is on headstock". What info do I need to know about the bike to make sure I will be allowed to race with it? Is the VIN going to be enough or do I need papers proving that I own it.

Thanks for any info and I apologize if this is not the right spot for the post.

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

many of the racers have replacement frames that come directly from Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha (others included). Replacement frames do not come with a serial number stamp and many of the bikes we race were write-offs and some are even dismantle only bikes.

While the WMRC will work closely with the RCMP if required, we do not check serial numbers of bikes to verify ownership. If of course this ownership does come into question, and it hasn't ever yet, we would work with all parties to ensure a proper outcome.

With that said, I have 2 bikes without Serial numbers on the frames that I race. One I have the receipt from Honda, and the other I don't. The only time you might get a problem on a blank frame is at the border, but if you declare it going down and getting a "green card" for the bike, you should have no issues bringing it back over the border.

3. vanilla18

vanilla18 New Member

Thanks for the info and quick reply Dean. That helps me out alot.

4. Simon

Simon New Member

My team and I wont' check but if the Police show up and check, you better be ready with info.