Bike hauler question

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by Mel, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Mel

Mel Road racer

Looking at picking up an old Mazda B2200 ext cab to haul the bike to the track (instead of always relying on the generosity of Mr. O'Toole ;)), and for those of you who've owned one, I just wondered what your experiences have been with this truck, what to watch for, etc. I'll be googling all this stuff as well, of course, but thought I'd get my fellow club members' opinions since my use of said truck will be racing-specific so I figured you folks would be the experts. :)

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Hey Mel,

I would look at getting a Chevy Astro or GMC Safari. You can fit the bike and all your gear in the van and keep it safe and secure on the ferry. Also, keeps everything dry if it's raining.

Mine has been really reliable, runs reasonably well and cost me $800.

3. Solo Soldier

Solo Soldier New Member

I agree with the van idea, I used a ford ranger with a small deck trailer behind, hauling the bike in the back of the truck was okay, the un-loading off the small truck and even loading onto the back of the truck was just too difficult for one person such as myself, hence why I got a small trailer, money was short, so a deck trailer was all I could afford at that time.

Now I am concidering a van just for the purpose.

4. kingston

kingston New Member

Hey Mel, i'm a long time mechanic and those old B2200 pick-ups are one of the most reliable small trucks you could ever buy. Engine, drivetrain, front end, are all strong. Boxes tend to rust out, make sure the timing belt is good, maintain it and it will probably give you years of service. Randy.

5. Schoey

Schoey New Member

Mel. I had the exact setup as what you are talking about with a small truck box Mazda and not much power. I was in Novice at the time and didn't have alot to bring to the track so it did work. After the bike goes in, tent, tools, cooler for beer, and riding gear, the truck was full. Don't even consider spare rims with tires. Economical, but resist the temptation to bring anything more than what you really need. The tailgate had to be down as well.

6. Schoey

Schoey New Member

ohh, I mean cooler for healthy food of course...

7. Mel

Mel Road racer

Thanks a lot, Ryan! I also need something with at least three seats which cargo vans usually don't have but, of course, an Astro/Safari has removable seats so I could just put them back in when I need to haul people and not a bike.

8. Mel

Mel Road racer

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

9. Mel

Mel Road racer

Thank you, Randy, I'll be sure to check for those things! Yeah, I sure see a lot of old ones around and when they're for sale in good shape they seem to get snapped up pretty quickly.

10. Mel

Mel Road racer

Many thanks for the heads-up, Rob! This is going to be a year of getting to the track when I can manage it, so I definitely will be bringing only what I need (except for the "healthy food" in the cooler, of course ;)).

11. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

Mel, You'd have alot more room than Rob would... I travelled to Thunderhill with Rob, first he fills the trailer with cases of Corona, then if there's room left over, he stuffs the bike in.:beer:

12. Mel

Mel Road racer

LOL, thanks Brett, good to know:D Of course, I shouldn't question Rob's methods 'cause he's way faster than me... so are you... so are most people.:eek:

13. Schoey

Schoey New Member

I was using the cases of beer for something to sit on instead of buying a very expensive lawn chair. You have to do everything possible to save a bit of money if you're going to race, you know! I saved myself from having to buy that chair.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  14. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

This past season I gave up my enclosed trailer and just used my D21 Nissan pickup truck. You've seen it, the silver one, with the fading black racing stripe. In that truck, I was able to fit my bike, tent, table, tools, generator, lawn chair, small cooler, LARGE gear bag, fire extinguisher, and a few other things. Careful packing and planning made that work. The bed is rusting out, as all of these old trucks do over time. Mine's a 1990 with 290K on it. Passes aircare too. I was offering to the club, however, it is for sale. I'm looking for $1200, as I just put $1400 into it. I got a huge E250 XLT van now.

It's a good little truck.

15. Mel

Mel Road racer

Yes, I do remember it from that race day Steve needed a chiropractor and we drove it around Mission to find one.

Thanks for letting me know, Dean. I'll keep it in mind and will follow up with you again if I want to find out more. :)

16. Simon

Simon New Member

I can vouch for Dean's truck, I recently did alot of work on it to get it ready for aircare.

Van's are better as stated due to the fact its covered and you can sleep in it, plus if your coming across, a trailer add's to the cost due to the Ferry's wanting more. Astro's are worth a look and I think the only other small van to fit a bike is the Ford copy, Rwd, blanking out and can't remember the name, lol.

The Mazda trucks are damn near bulletproof and cheap to fix, :nod: but parts are getting harder to find.

17. Don

Don Retired

Ford Aerostar.... you don't see too many of them anymore.

Attached Files:

18. Simon

Simon New Member

LOL, yeah, that's it, :D

19. Mel

Mel Road racer

Thanks for the info, Simon and Don, much appreciated!