Automated Mail Out of WMRC News

Discussion in 'Ideas for the site/forum' started by ctardi, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ctardi

ctardi New Member

Since there was a fair bit of discussion on communication at the meeting tonight, I came up with an idea on my way home.

The e-mail list either doesn't get used much, or I'm just not getting all of the messages sent. The forums have a confirmed list of all member's e-mail addresses. What if we had phpbb automatically e-mail all members (or all who have allowed e-mail from administrators) any time there is a new thread posted in the WMRC News section of the forums? That way there is consistency in that all information will be passed across our two most powerful member communication means.

I could help on the technical side of this if that is a road block.

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

We'll take it under consideration. We don't however, use PHPBB, and actually use vBulletin, which, while both being PHP based is vastly different.

It also relies on users keeping their profiles up to date, and does go against out terms of service for mass mailouts. There is a good chance our forums could be seen as spammers and be blocked from sending all mail out.

3. ctardi

ctardi New Member

Wow, I should have noticed...either way, phpbb, vbulliten, same thing different pile.

When I've set up similar e-mail blasts in the past, my web host let me know how many transactions per day my e-mail server would allow, and I wrote my scripts to keep that in mind. It's really no different than having a bunch of people subscribed to a thread on the forums.

Really what I'm going for here is just to make it so that the exec/promotions does not have to do the same work twice whenever there is an announcement.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012