August 3-4

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by seandcontracting, May 21, 2015.

1. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

I realize that this has been discussed before, but I cannot understand from a business point of view why the racing is Sunday and the Trackday is Monday. I would be curious to see what percentage of racers would not Trackday Monday for various reasons. I would not do the Monday just to bomb around and get practice as I would prefer to use the Trackday to prepare for a race. Of course, I'm on the island so traveling makes up part of my decision and have a timeline bias per se. I have heard that the Sunday race would attract more racers instead of Monday. Given the amount of racers that raced in the May 18 Monday long weekend race I'm (somewhat) sure that a Sunday Trackday and Monday race would be perfectly acceptable to most. Any input? Can the dates actually be flipped?

Thank you!
    Sean

2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Hey Sean, I think that you misunderstand the dates. Aug 3 is the holiday Monday and Aug 4 is the following Tuesday. There is no WMRC event on the Sunday.

3. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Yes Andrew, I apologize to all!! I was staring at my calendar in my garage...my OLD calendar.

4. nickridiculous

nickridiculous New Member

I think Sean's original question is still valid. What is the reasoning behind having the race day on Monday, August 3 and the track day on Tuesday, August 4?

I suppose it's a matter of preference. If I'm a racer who doesn't feel the need for the extra practice of a track day then I can race on the holiday and go to work on Tuesday. Which helps control the amount of vacation I need to take. The track day that I attended 1-MAY (a workday) was pretty busy, so I guess track day riders who don't race will still come out on a workday.

On the other hand I can see the value of what Sean is suggesting. I'd like to do a track day, before racing, especially as there is such a long break between races. I'm in the process of smashing piggy banks and looking in the couch to fund the July track day, just so I can try to keep my eye in.

At the end of the day, what gives the club more registered riders:

1) Race on Monday track day on Tuesday
    2) Track day on Monday, race on Tuesday

5. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

There are a large number of pieces that have to come together to make a successful raceday. For example, on Aug 3 we are currently planning on hosting Bernie Ryan's track walk for the Children's Hospital. That is not something that we can host on a weekday race. Also, we rely on volunteers for many of our raceday positions (not just corner workers, but also the front gate, announcing etc.) and what paid positions we do have are mostly a formality. It takes a lot more to run a race day than a trackday, and all of those things only get harder if people need to take a day off work. Furthermore, in the past (when there were many more racers) the club has tried running weekday races and the turnout was very poor. For these reasons there was never a real question about racing on the 4th.

This year especially, we are working very hard to try to increase the exposure for our club and our events, and we simply won't see anyone come out to spectate at the races if they take place during the week for the reasons above. That makes things tougher to sell to sponsors if they see that their dollars are going to events that nobody will attend, and it is tough enough for us to sell as it is with our attendance down so low.

The bottom line is that for our race days, the WMRC needs to put on a show, and that won't work if nobody is able to come out to our events. The show is what promotes the club and forms the basis to attract people to our trackdays and rider training. This is a big contrast to our trackdays, which are not sponsored events and for which we do not charge admission to spectate. Those days are for the WMRC to host interested riders to share the track and share our experience and knowlege riding motorcycles, as well as to have some fun riding around. It is much easier on our volunteer staff and exec to host a non-school trackday.

Our choice this year for dates was very limited. In August we could have done a single event on the 3rd, either race day or track day. We struggled with it, and decided to do the compromise that is currently scheduled and give up the Friday in September in favor of the Tuesday in August as the weather would likely be better. We made the Tuesday a trackday simply because there are more trackday riders to draw from, in addition to the sponsorship and spectator considerations noted above.

At this point since we have made commitments to sponsors as well as the fact that we have customers that have already pre-paid for the trackday in question, never mind the promotions materials that have been distributed, we cannot change the dates.

6. nickridiculous

nickridiculous New Member

Thanks for the explanation Andrew!