August 10 Meeting Minutes

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by Andrew Marles, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Meeting minutes from 10 Aug 2015

In attendance:
    Andrew Marles
    Brett Hanson
    Jason Hanson
    George Filis

4 members

Meeting was called to order at 7:07 by Andrew Marles

Minutes from previous meeting were read by Andrew Marles, accepted by Rob Shoemeyer.

Treasurer’s report:
    Current bank balance is $45,189.68
    There is approximately $9,000 accounts payable.
    Current balance is therefore approximately $36,000.
    Overall profit was $4,500 for the weekend

George reported that a new run of cards and posters was distributed prior to the August event.

Response to the hybrid day was generally positive. The exec received one negative comment about the amount of track time and a 2nd complaint about the schedule. Riders requested that they have 2 sessions in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. This will be taken under advisement for the next hybrid day.

Gridding the open novices with the experts generally worked well. We had 4 novices in F118 and F115. No issues emerged from this arrangement and two of the novices expressed appreciation at being able to learn from faster riders. In addition, the general feeling amongst the novices was that they were more focused on their riding and being smooth and predictable vs trying to win a race. There was some additional debate about where to place open novices. It was decided that the current solution is working and will be used until we have a larger grid to deal with.

It was noted that the operations staff should try to be more consistent with managing the time of the hybrid sessions. We want to ensure that they feel they are getting value for their money at our events.

Some participants felt that there needed to be more attention paid to mid-pack racers in the announcing. The response was that during the race day the announcing was very responsive to requests from all racers and that if racers want something said about them over the PA they need to provide materials (printed sheet of sponsors, funny stories etc.) to the announcing team so that they can include it in the program. Overall the feedback on the announcing was extremely positive and George confirmed that Ted will be returning for the September round.

There was some additional discussion about how to transition riders to become racers. Bike prep and cost remain significant barriers. There was some discussion about subdividing the 250 class into supersport and completely stock competitors. It was decided that this is a subject for next year's rulebook committee.

A motion was raised by Jason Hanson that Deborah Tuyttens is awesome as an example of someone who just decided to get into racing. Seconded by Rob Shoemeyer. Passed by majority vote.

Jason was talking with Nancy Joyce at the track walk, she was willing to come out to the September race day or track day and bring her radar gun.

Steve Addison asked if racers could practice their starts during lunch time. It was discussed that running any kind of hot track during lunch is problematic because we need to find people to man the track.

One of the trailers needs to be repaired. George has the equipment and will perform the necessary repairs. We will organize a small work party in 2 weeks to clean up the trailers and take care of some track maintenance. Andrew Marles and Jason Hanson will coordinate with Al.

George Filis introduced a motion that nobody will be allowed to ride on the trailers in future. Volunteers can ride in a pickup bed or walk alongside the trailer. Seconded by Andrew Marles and passed by unanimous vote.

Banquet – more informal than previous years. Will take place at Jimmy Mac’s pub on October 18
    - Open to everyone, trackday riders and school students are welcome to attend. Bring friends, family etc.
    - We might try to make it into a fund raiser if we can organize prizes etc.
    - Cost will be $25 dollars which will include a drink and dinner. Alternatively, participants can order from the pub menu.

George would like to ask members to submit any video footage from the year for the year-end video review.

Motion to adjourn at 8:29 by Andrew Marles. Seconded by Rob Shoeymeyer

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

To clarify, were these complaints from racers or track day riders?

3. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Trackday riders.

4. ryno11

ryno11 New Member

5. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

That is generally how it has worked in the past, however we have had issues with riders abruptly stopping in the hot-pit lane and nearly causing a freeway style pileup, so we have discouraged practice starts in the hot pits this year. It is something we should re-visit, ie: riders may only practice starts after a session is at least 1/2 over, and they must signal with their hand well before the tower that they are going to stop. Probably we will have words about it at rider's meeting on the 20th.

That said, I have also had several requests from trackday riders to practice their starts at lunch as well, maybe they are getting ready to come race with us?

6. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I do not recall seeing any stock 250's racing at Mission, so cannot see a need for a "stock class". My 2 cents.

7. Keith Robinson

Keith Robinson New Member

I see no reason we can't have practice starts at lunch time; Joseph, Ron or myself (or all of us) can organise it. However I would suggest we do the practice starts on the regular grid on the main straight. It will be safer and more easily organized. You already use this this system for your school!!

8. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

great looking financials! Kudos to the current exec for doing things that are different and seem to be working.

9. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

I brought info to Ted about myself and the fact that eight friends came from the island to watch the racing. He popped out all my sponsor stuff and my friends found the announcing during the racing to be proper fun. I'm glad he will be there for the Sept round.

Also, are WMRC members able to see the financial statements? What does it cost to rent the track for a raceday,for instance.

10. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Brett's information is available to any WMRC member, but I don't think I necessarily want to post it online for everyone in the world to see. Brett does a basic accrual accounting every month and we have a raceday/trackday budget that we try to follow. We don't have a budget for school days since we had never done them before, but I think we've done a decent job keeping extra costs controlled for the school and it has been a net positive for the club. If you are really interested (maybe stepping up to the exec for next year?) you should PM Brett and he will get you any information you need.

In broad strokes, it costs about $9500 to rent Mission for a day after all annual and daily expenses are considered. That seems to go up about 5% every year for various reasons; this year the ambulance fees were 20% higher for example.

11. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Wow, I had no idea the track cost was that high. More racers and Trackday people please! Lol. I would love to help the exec but being an Island boy it doesn't get me to meetings very well. Of course, if there is any help I can provide then let me know what I can do.