Article on the WMRC is the Mission City Record

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by thumper 8, May 14, 2011.

1. thumper 8

thumper 8 corner worker / photog

A little publicity for the club never hurts - a small article in the Mission City Record.

A couple of photos from the round 1 crash - I asked Jason, the editor of the paper, to make sure to mention when the next race dates are.

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

hmmm ... factual, but maybe not the best possible spin.... i wonder who they attempted to talk to from the club..

3. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

It may get the odd spectator out who hopes to see a crash, but that kind of crap reporting definitely wont help get more racers out.

4. TommyO

TommyO Daytonut

I couldn't agree more!.....Why is it we aren't able to get these "journalists" out to any of our events to cover all the "non accident" races we have, on a regular basis, that are great from a spectator point of view, but whenever there's something "sensational" to report they'll put away their integrity and their "concerned interests" in order to sell a few papers!?.....I think we should invite that reporter out to the track for this upcoming weekend (Rounds 2/3)to help balance the perspective of the general public about the bigger picture of what goes on at a typical "raceday" at the track!........

5. tt600

tt600 New Member

yup,not a good thing......

6. Valley Image WERX

Valley Image WERX New Member

I find it unfortunate that the photographer that you graciously let take pictures at the event submitted the photos to the paper...Being a photographer myself, and I was right there when that crash happened, I 'm bummed out to see stuff like this go into the paper. When I shoot BMX, Mountainbike, or MX, I always try to submit a story and pictures that will draw people to join the clubs not think that it's dangerous and make them stay away...

Too bad ThumPhoto had to give in to the sensationalism of modern media.

Maybe next time he can submit some photos of kids checking out race bikes in the pits, and a shot of a rider coming into the straightaway with his front wheel off the ground...

7. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

I think you misunderstand....

Tony has been a great supporter of this club for many years, he graciously donates many photos to the club every year for our use with no compensation for himself. Tony is one of the main fixtures in our club, not only as a photographer, he is also one of our dedicated and tireless volunteers.
    Tony did ask for and receive permission to submit photos to the newspaper. The club does not hide the fact that motorcycling, and motorcycle racing is an inherently dangerous activity. The club and the executive are behind Tony and the submission of these or any other photos to any media source (with our knowledge/permission beforehand).
    This was a spectacular crash and the photos themselves are excellent. My only complaint with the entire article was that there was no follow up or mention of the riders improvement or the massive amount of effort that is made to ensure the track is as safe as possible for all riders. It is disappointing that it takes an unfortunate incident to generate any interest from the media, we have extended several offers to several different media outlets, yet we seem to get very little response.

I thank you and all the photographers who come out to our events for your efforts, and please continue to try and get us positive media coverage, but understand that in this case Tony was acting with positive intension's and the backing of our promotions directors.

8. Valley Image WERX

Valley Image WERX New Member

If that's the case, then it is too bad it was made to look like a dangerous sport, and good on Tony for supporting the club!...In any case I've had the unpleasant experience of some of my shots, which I posted online were used by the City of Chilliwack to tear down The Westside Mountain Bike Dirt Jump Park.

Check out this link and go to page 3.

http://issuu.com/canwestcommunitypublishing/docs/chkfri20100611

Something that had good intentions that went wrong when the media got hold of it...

9. thumper 8

Sorry, but my photos have been published many times in many media for many years - modern media are part of what we do, and are a mixed blessing at the best of times..

I had a mesage from a member of the WMRC executive that the paper wanted images, and I forwarded the photos to the paper. I did not receive any compensation for the photos - I just asked that the name of my company be included, but even that was misspelled :confused:

Tony.

10. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

Sorry, I tried to stay out of this one.......but i'm chiming in.

First of all Tony is am amazing photographer and has an eye for action. He had a "picture in time" and was able to capture each shot where 95% of us would have dropped the camera while screaming "Holy shit". Unfortunetly Randy was hurt but it could have been even worse.....and knowing Randy he'll have those pics on his wall of shame somewhere just like I have my highside ones.

Secondly, as for the stuff in Chilliwack.........if they said it was just because of your shots don't feel bad because that's a load of crap. My Son rides for Kona and rides with Sam Dueck. I watched them and took many pictures, and believe me they were the good apples. The city had issues with unauthorized riders changing jumps, ATVers riding the rollers, Kids throwing rocks at the passing trains and parents dropping off kids as a "baby sitting" area. It was a shame they closed it and now they all ride in Greendale, but if the city fed you a line about you being responsible that's crap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  11. gxr jo

gxr jo New Member

i dont have any particular problem with the article as they are in business to sell papers and this was an excellent set of photos depicting an accident in progress

i lke the idea of inviting the reporter to the next race and have them interview people in the know regarding the track , club , racing etc

ps , any press is good press

12. Nancy

Nancy Practice Racer

Tony, was it Jason that submitted the article? If it was then h knows what racing at Mission is all about.

With respect to asking reporters out - how are you doing this. Keep in mind WIFM will work with this crew. Take a step back from your passion and try to figure out what would attract the common person out to the track. That will help you when you ask reporters out to the races.

13. thumper 8

Yep, Jason (spiderider on BCSB)... I believe Jason is the editor of the Mission News, and I am pretty sure he has been to the track before?