April General Meeting Minutes

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by ducatigirl, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ducatigirl

ducatigirl Moderator WMRC Exec

WMRC
    Meeting Minutes
    April 13, 2015

The regular meeting of the WMRC was called to order at 7:00 pm on April 13, 2015 in Langley by Andrew Marles.
    Present
    12 members
    1 nonmember

Jason Hanson- Vice President
    Brett Hanson - Treasurer
    Andrew Marles - President
    George Filis - Promotions
    Pam Black – Secretary

Previous Business:
    Previous minutes read by Pam Black, motion to accept minutes made by Andrew Marles, seconded by Ken Botham

Old Business:
    Jason Hanson has finalized our race school curriculum and it has been approved by the Insurance Company. Huge thank you to Jason for the time and effort put into this. We are currently only 3 people away from filling our race school.
    MOTO America is also having problems with their Track Intel so at this time we are not getting any support from Track Intel. Our issues are more with entering races, rather than the timing and scoring.
    We will be doing as much registration as possible Friday May 1 after the track day. Reminder that even if you pre register, you still need to sign your waiver in the registration tent every race day.

Treasurer Report:
    Current balance is $24,097.
    Insurance is going to be $10,085, still some payables outstanding, so once bills are paid we should have approximately $11,000 going in to our first weekend.
    Paid $1,700 for security and for Smithright for bale pickup, both outstanding from 2014 season.
    New Business

BC Ambulance has increased their price from $1,560 last year per round to $1,950 this year. Biggest $$ difference is that we are being charged now for the time it takes the ambulance to travel to the track from the new dispatch in Surrey. Last year we were billed for 1 hour travel time and 30 km, this year is 122 km and 2 hours. Last year they dispatched from Abbotsford but they are no longer able to do that.
    The executive has done due diligence and have compared the services offered by BC ambulance and LifeSupport. LifeSupport has quoted us $1500 per day inclusive, and will provide the same service. LifeSupporthas assured us that they would make it a priority that the show must go on and that the service provided would be as good or better than BC Ambulance.
    As such the executive feel that the best option for the members, care wise and price wise, is to switch to LifeSupport.
    There was some discussion regarding the recently posted 2015 race day schedule and which classes should be run together.

Promotions:
    George has had some help with poster distribution. Thank you to everyone who has helped with that. George has approached several groups to show up for Taste of Racing.
    We are planning on having a Winners Circle in the north west end of the pits, to add to the show, have some water, say a few words with the announcer, and to thank your sponsors.

Adjournment:
    Motion to adjourn Meeting at 8:20 by Andrew Marles. Seconded by Spero Benias. The next general meeting will be at 7pm on May 11, 2015
    Minutes submitted by: Pam Black

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Note that since the meeting the racer school filled up and we are now booking for July.

3. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

I've been in touch further with TrackIntel, they have been very supportive. Looks like I never received some emails from them, not sure exactly how that happened.

4. andre331

andre331 New Member

are you guys fkn kidding??????? after all the discussion about what kind of quality of service that bcas provides verses a private for profit company you boneheads go with bottom line costs over providing the best care available??? of course the owner of this company will blow smoke up your asses!!!!!! do you know that your private company is not licensed to transport patients to hospital? i guess the owner forgot to tell you that part, so guess what....you crash.... you wait.... and wait.... .and if no bc ambulance is available to take you from the track to hospital, you wait some more. if it were bc ambulance providing on track care and a serious injury occurred and no off site bc ambulance was available to transport we will take her in( as in ayeshsa's case) THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN WITH A PRIVATE COMPANY. so good luck to the fewer and fewer racers that are coming out these days. your exec made a decision that could cost someone their life

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  5. andre331

andre331 New Member

oh and another thing in the meeting minutes your exec announced how they used "due diligence" in making this decision.True due diligence would have included a call to some of the members such as myself to ask our thoughts about this very important issue....by the way for the people who don't know me, my name is Andre and I've been a bc ambulance paramedic in downtown vancouver for 25 years

6. nickridiculous

nickridiculous New Member

Can someone please amend the meeting minutes to include the name of the proposed ambulance service vendor. I don't think it was called ALS. During the meeting I was under the impression that Advanced Life Support (ALS) was the standard of care that was quoted, not the name of the vendor.

Thanks.

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

Inconsolable ranting and gnashing of teeth aside let's also make note of the fact that we contracted with BCAS in the past for Advanced Life Support paramedics but many, many times we didn't get them at our events. So who is blowing smoke up who's ass here?

Were you at the meeting to voice your opinion?

8. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Company name is Lifesupport Transport.

http://www.lifesupporttransport.com/

The WMRC has used this company for a number of years. From what I recall when speaking to Graham Williamson, they primarily do patient transport for insurance companies (cheaper to fly you to Canada, then stay in a US hospital) as well as on site medical support in the oil patch, special events and other remote work locations.

When I was treasurer, then President, I worked first with the BCAS then due to a work stoppage, we had to use another provider as the BCAS was not available.

BCAS is a top notch service provider, however there are some risks that come with using them for our events.

#1 - Even if you request ALS (advanced life support) Paramedics, you won't necessarily get them, no matter how far in advance you book. This is due to the fact that special event booking comes second to the needs of the general public (and rightly so).

#2 - If there is a car accident, fire or other emergency that needs the paramedics, they can leave in the middle of our event, shutting down racing for the day. This is totally acceptable to me as a citizen, but kind of a bummer as a racer.

While I disagree with Andre's point of view, I respect it. When I went looking for an ambulance provider in 2009/2010 (if memory serves me right) there were a few companies out there that I would not be comfortable with being on track if they were looking over me. This is not one of those companies.

If memory serves me correctly, the paramedics staffing the Lifesupport ambulances are offduty paramedics (like Andre) not some goofs with a first aid ticket. Perhaps the exec could offer some clarity on that point?

9. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

I was at the meeting and these points were all made and now that I know the facts my personal opinion is that the WMRC Executive made a good decision.

I started riding/racing at Mission in 2001 when the WMRC first tested the track to see if it was feesable to run motorcycles there and track safety has been getting better and better ever since...anybody remember the kink?

10. nickridiculous

The posts from Ryan and Spero seem reassuring, but I'm still a little leery about the specific scenario Andre raised.

A rider has been seriously injured and requires urgent transport to hospital.

1) Will Lifesupport Transport (ALS certified) Paramedics load 'em into their own ambulance and drive them to hospital with the sirens going, while at the same time dispatching another Lifesupport Transport Ambulance to the track so we can resume racing as soon as possible?

OR

2) Will Lifesupport Transport (ALS certified) Paramedics provide care until BC Ambulance shows up, and WILL NOT drive the injured rider to the hospital?

If the answer to 1) YES! can the executive post that in writing?

If the answer to 2) is YES! then I think it's a relevant point. I was at the meeting and I was under the impression that Lifesupport Transport was able to offer ambulance rides. If that isn't the case, I'd kind of like to know that.

11. ryno11

ryno11 New Member

I'm not sure what the response time is for BC ambulance or the BC procedures as far as air support, but I can comment that for the last couple years with the EMRA in Edmonton we have been using a private contractor( I can't recall my first season what ambulance service was sitting there). We have had some VERY serious incidents on track over the last 5 years that I have been with the club, and the at track service has been top notch with the private contractor keeping the patient stable and safe until transport arrives. At strato response time varied as it was a smaller town close to the track. While safety is and should be top priority, I personally am comfortable with the WMRC exec's decision.

12. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I haven't spoken directly with Lifesupport for a number of years, HOWEVER, as best I recall the procedure is as follows:

1) If a rider is injured requiring transport to the hospital, but not a life threatening injury, Lifesupport will call BCAS to have the patient transported. They wait at the gate and pass the rider off.

2) If it is a life or death scenario requiring immediate transport, they will transport eventhough they aren't licensed to do so as Andre pointed out.

13. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

To the best of my recollection, Ryan Whittle is correct. Graham also told me that in a critical situation, they would not wait for a transfer, but would transport directly.

There was also mention before that they could not call for Air Ambulance support. That was incorrect and Lifesupport can and will call for Air Ambulance with the same priority as BC Ambulance service.

I am sure that someone from the current exec can verify all this. And with that point made, this is the primary reason you *NEED* to go to club meetings. That's where your voice is heard. This is where decisions are announced.

14. nickridiculous

That's interesting Ryan.

If Lifesupport Transport offers paramedics who have comparable training and equipment to BCAS, and it's only the structure of the insurance/license they carry then I feel like the risk to the rider is relatively small.

If I'm a patient in a properly equipped ambulance, that is staffed with trained personnel, and they are prepared to take the risk of driving me to the hospital without a license or mal-practice insurance or whatever, then the only risk to me is that if something goes wrong, I may not have an insurance company to sue.

On the flip-side, I can see Andre, as a paramedic being uncomfortable with the situation that it puts the Lifesupport Transport crew in. They have a patient under care, and they have to make a call, drive to the hospital without insurance and face potential fall-out from their employer or the patients lawyers. Or sit tight and compromise patient care.

Without undermining Andre's concerns, I support the decision to engage Lifesupport. I still would still like them to address the specific case of a critically injured rider.

Do they drive or not.

15. jcathie

jcathie Member

Let's consider Lifesupport to be somewhat akin to Joe Sixpack with a grievously injured buddy. Do you wait for BCAS or do you drive Buddy to the hospital yourself? I doubt it would be a licening or mal-practice issue; there's a Good Samaritan law entrenched in our Federal law books the protect anyone offering aid to the injured. The flip side to that is if a trained professional does not render aid, they are criminally liable. For example, a retired fire fighter HAS to stop at an accident.

16. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Hey everyone, I just wanted to put a post up here as I know there is lots of interest to let you know where we stand today. We are still getting confirmations and clarifications from Life Support and we'll update you if anything changes.

The club used Life Support for years. The worst accident I've ever personally witnessed where a rider was run over by another bike and seriously injured was handled by Life Support and there were no problems with evacuating the patient to the hospital via helicopter. Using Life Support for our ambulance services is nothing new to the club.

We have in writing from Life Support that they will evacuate an injured rider if the situation warrants. Like I said, we're getting double-confirmation on this and we'll let you know if that statement needs to be modified or qualified in any way.

The paramedics that we would have onsite are fully ALS certified critical care health care professionals. This is a higher standard of care than is required by our insurance company, but since the cost was the same as BCAS last year, we felt it was important to contract for ALS paramedics. I'm not sure I completely agree with John's characterization of these people as 'Joe Sixpacks' but I certainly appreciate the point he is making.

17. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

When we first enquired as to Life Support's services, we received the following statement from Graham Williamson, CEO of Life Support:
    "...we will call in back up unless the condition is life threatening, then we transport to hospital."
    We enquired further, after Andre's comments asking twice more if Life Support would transport if needed. Graham's first reply was evasive, his second was: "...we are withdrawing our quotation." and "...contact another local service provider for your event."
    I've asked for clarification with no reply thus far.

We've decided to continue with BCAS for 2015, despite the significant price increase.

18. jcathie

jcathie Member

Wow. Helluva way to burn a bridge. Interesting way to run a business.

19. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Like we said, we'll update if things change, and wow did things change in a hurry.

20. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

can't win. :(