anyone running aftermarket clutch?

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Randogg, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Randogg

Randogg New Member

i recently had to change the clutch on my street bike and went with a OEM factory clutch i am just wondering if i should have gone with a aftermarket brand like barnett hi performance or ebc clutch instead? any input would be most appreciated i just wanna know if i made the right decision or not and also curious to know what other people have in their bikes :confused:

2. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

yoyodyne slipper clutch in mine, but I'm also on a twin where engine braking is much harder than on an inline4

3. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I think those slippers still use the stock steels and friction plates.

4. Randogg

Randogg New Member

yeah i was wondering about the steels and friction plates everyone is using.....? my ninjas both got OEM slipper clutches so i didnt think to change them out.... but the frictions were burnt on my 06 zx6r streetbike started to make me think what the previous owner rode like LOL....

5. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

yup, they do, but everything else changes. Bernie was using a different clutch pack though, but he's back to stock now.

7. Simon

Simon New Member

Stock is the best bang for the buck. Most aftermarket clutch's are way to grabby, which for a race bike is sort of ok but a street bike, stop and go traffic is a nightmare.

8. Marbod

Marbod Rubbin's racin'

Having sold(and used) pretty well all brands of cluch plates over the years , I might have some valid input on this.
    You can't go wrong with stock clutch plates, they work well and are being used by many professional teams.
    The only reason I would swap to an aftermarket clutch brand would be if you really want the lighter aluminum backing plates some offer and you really have no other place to spend your $ on.
    There are some well-performing aftermarket brand clutch plate manufacturers out there and we've had the best result with Barnett-I would stick with OEM clutch springs though, the Barnetts are very stiff) out of all of them.
    Vesrah is quite good as well, they make a lot of plates for the Japanese OEM's.

EBC I would not recommend(yes I know I'm the EBC brake track vendor...), we've had a couple less than stellar experiences and I contacted the head race tech guy at EBC who told me" you don't wanna buy our clutches". Enough said...