Any Info on Ninja 250 Class?

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by Dean Thompson, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

:) Slicks were never allowed in SV Cup or any other production classes I am aware of at WMRC or EMRA, Shocks on the other hand were allowed,

Having said that, I will say that I don't see where either should be banned,

What is difference if the rider has the OEM shock re-worked and sprung or if he buys an aftermarket shock,

Forks, I completely understand restricting to internal upgrades only,

This is starting to sound like a race class,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
    Blair

2. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Not that any one here needs to be explained suspension theory, (and I am far from an expert) but if you increase the spring rate to compensate for larger rider/harder use should you not then set the rebound damping to suit?

If a stock shock is soft and has a stiffer aftermarket spring installed it would be under-damped, no? Considering that valving cannot be changed as per the rules.

What's a big guy gonna do?

3. Reckless

Reckless New Member

The whole concept of the class is to keep the racing affordable.
    You will need to replace tires at some point even if you leave the stock tires on to begin with so whether slick or DOT does it really matter?.
    You do not need a shock as the bike already has one.
    I don't know what weight range the stock suspension is set for so I don't know if the heavy riders will have issues with not enough damping or if the light riders will have issues with too much damping.
    Same goes for handlebars and footpegs. The bike has them already. If for comfort or to replace crash damage you choose to use an aftermarkert replacement that is OK but you can use the stock ones.

4. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

Japanese sport bike shocks are typically sprung for 150 lb or less ridrs, so very few have issues with too hard.

Many on the other hand will find the stock shock under sprung,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
    Blair

5. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

If someone is going to enter into 250 production class with a ZZR 250, would this bike be able to run with no bodywork? Just numberplates and a belly pan?

I was speaking with someone this evening that has access to a ZZR and aftermarket bodywork is not easily obtained, OEM stuff could get expensive.

6. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

So if you're thinking about buying a used Ninja 250 from CL, you'd better make sure that the bike is original down to every nut and bolt, otherwise no 250 production class for you? :)

cheers

7. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Yep! That works. We just care about number plates, bodywork is totally optional.

8. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

9. bsa_414

Apart from the 'gray' market aspect, I don't see anything in Seaction 8A of the rules that would prevent The VTR's from entering the 250 Production class as long as they are kept in stock form. Keep in mind that you will only be eligible for contingency if you are aboard a Kawi. I am not 100% up on that Honda model, but it should be easy enough to find out - call to Carter motorsports?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  10. bsa_414

A quick google search yielded the following...

The VTR 250 was sold in the United States from 1988 to 1990, with only moderate changes occurring over the three model years.

So it looks like it's good to go...

11. andre331

andre331 New Member

hey alex, so what are our grids giong to be like? are the 250's going to be in their own class on the track at the same time as us? are the rz riders excluded again? what about the rgv's you said might be coming out this year?

12. bsa_414

We should have a good grid this year. If they get a lot of 250's out, they might get their own Ninja Cup race, plus they can also race in Formula Classic. If they don't have the numbers, then they will probably run with us and have the cup within the Formula Classic race.

As for the RGV's - they're on the back burner for now. We're concentrating on getting the new and improved RZ together, and the air-cooled RD. The plan is to ride the RZ in MWSBK and MWTwins, and the RD in Formula Classic. The RZ's are definitely not excluded. They are becoming the driving force behind Formula Classic! Plus there are at least three new 'classic' riders taking Troy's race course...

We're going racing... It's shaping up to be an awesome season.

cheers

13. speeder

speeder New Member

belly pan not required?

14. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

No bodywork is required, including belly pan. Super inexpensive class to run!

15. speeder

speeder New Member

read through the thread, but didn't see this asked or answered.

i have a bone stock 250r US model prior to the facelift.

I don't have the race license yet, but looks like I might be just in time to sign up for the wcss race school (if they have room)

to run in the 250 class, this is what I think i have to do to the bike.

-safety wire a few things
    -remove lights maybe?
    -take off kickstand maybe?

that's it?

16. Reckless

Reckless New Member

WCSS has a spot or two left from what they told me. Class starts with bike prep tomorrow so I would contact them now if you want a better understanding of what you need to do to your bike.
    Safety wire. Yes.
    Remove lights. Yes.
    Sidestand off. Yes.

17. speeder

speeder New Member

signed up for the race school. I guess I'm committed now!

Anybody doing the school want to carpool out to langley from vancouver? I'm coming from kits.

18. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Just ran in the bike on the weekend and got the jetting sorted! Tires and bodywork this week.

Surprised that the stock shock is pretty good. But running almost full pre-load, and I'm only 165. The fork however...damping rods = junk. Bottoms under braking, locks out on square edged bumps. Oh well, everyones in the same boat I guess.

BTW: passenger pegs fit to the riders brackets = more ground clearance (until rear sets)

I missed the first class for WCSS but will see you guys tonight.

19. jcathie

jcathie Member

:#1:

Congratulations Dean! Looks like you've got the 250 class championship all sewed up for the first weekend.

So far you are the ONLY person that has pre-registered for the 250 class.:confused:

20. Reckless

Reckless New Member

We would have registered but we were told that someone from the WMRC would show up at the WCSS class with the forms and to help us through the paperwork.