Aftermarket exhaust

Discussion in 'Rule Book Proposals' started by Edward, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Edward

Edward New Member

According to Supersport rules, aftermarket exhausts are not allowed, yet I have seen other racers race with exhausts that are not stock. Will this continue to be overlooked next year? Just wondering as I want to replace my stock exhaust with an aftermarket one and I don't want to find out that I must put my stock one back on.

2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Member

This should probably go to rulebook proposals. In general, supersport rules allow exhaust modifications, but your reading of the current WMRC rulebook appears correct so this is probably something that the rulebook committee should clarify.

3. Edward

Edward New Member

Okay, I will wait for the 2017 rulebook to be published. I am hoping it will be revised to allow aftermarket.

4. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

I don't see why supersport rules wouldn't allow aftermarket exhausts. Maybe it was removed during our initial period of time with the noise restrictions back in early 2000's?

5. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Member

There have been a bunch of conflicting rules over the years. Back when the noise first came in, only 600s were required to have stock exhaust, everyone else was just under 88dB. Then when the 300s first came out, they could race in the gold cup, but had to have stock exhaust.

6. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Right but under the supersport section there is no mention of exhausts. However it does mention the catch all "if it is not listed here it is not allowed". We should get this sorted out for the 2017 season.

The WMRC rule book is 48 pages long, we are obviously a very serious club. As a side note, the EMRA rule book is only 22 pages.

7. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Member

WMRRA is 92 pages, so we're only half as serious as that club.

8. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

I've been running stock exhausts on my racebikes since 2006. :)

9. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

on the 600 you could save some weight and add a few hp with an exhaust, meh...probably not worth the cost. on a 250 or 300, the drop in weight is a much greater advantage than on a bigger bike.

10. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

The number of pages is totally dependant on the size of the font, lol. Maybe we use size 14 and EMRA uses size 8. ;)

11. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

There is no where in the Supersport rules that restrict a stock exhaust. As long as the unit meets 88db there are no concerns.

12. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

First is this:

8.4 The WMRC fully intends to keep all production machinery stock, except where otherwise noted. All allowed changes are listed here – if a change is not listed here, it is NOT allowed. ONLY the following modifications can be made:
    Then later this:
    8.26 Other than the above mentioned items, the bike must remain stock

Without mention of exhaust you can then see the problem.

13. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

For supersport rules, is the stock bore and stroke a firm rule, or is there some wiggle room? Asking for a friend.

14. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

8.4 The WMRC fully intends to keep all production machinery stock, except where otherwisenoted. All allowed changes are listed here – if a change is not listed here, it is NOT allowed. ONLY the followingmodifications can be made:
    Then later this:
    8.26 Other than the above mentioned items, the bikemust remain stock

This is the concern without the actual quoting. Either mention or not.

15. Edward

Edward New Member

Exactly. And changing it out for something else will sound way better than what it sounds like now.

So, how long until the 2017 Rulebook gets posted? March?

16. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

I hope not...I will bring it up at the next meeting. Dec 12 2016

17. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

This topic was brought up at the December general meeting. I feel that everyone in attendance was positive towards a change to the wording of this item in the rule book . There was another item up for rewording/clarification as well.