Advice Needed - Race or Track next year

Discussion in 'New To Racing' started by tjsharpie, Oct 14, 2015.

1. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

So I have been kicking the idea of racing but kept holding off until next year. This year I really want to try out racing for 2016 but I'm just afraid I don't have the speed for it so for the last several years I have been doing track days and attended riding school.

Some background:
    1. Best lap at the Ridge was 2:05
    2. Took Level 1 & 2 witih California SS
    3. I ride a track prepped 08 R6

I know it would be beneficial if I go with the 250cc class however I invested too much money and effort in my current bike to not ride/race/track it.

So my question is should I try out racing next year or continue tracking until my skill increases? I have heard that racing will allow you to pick up skills a lot faster than just tracking True/False? How have racing helped you as a rider? What was your experience like when you first raced?

Thanks

2. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

"Man was born to live, not to prepare to live."

Go race your bike. Sure you might gain some higher corner speed by starting on a 250, but just race what you have. You will never "be ready" so stop trying to get ready and just jump into the fun.

3. ducatigirl

ducatigirl Moderator WMRC Exec

Amen brother!

4. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Well if you put it that way....

I just like be prepared

5. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Being prepared for a race weekend is a good thing. Create a checklist for the items you will need to ensure nothing gets left at home that you may need. A selection of spare parts is worth its weight in gold if you have a minor lowside in practice and want to continue racing that day. Levers - pegs- handlebars - shifter etc.

6. Schoey

Schoey New Member

I would race again, if I had to redo my choices again. You will learn to become a better rider quicker than just doing track days. Racers share knowledge and if you like talking about your bike and how simple things like how changing tire pressures effects you and your bike, you should think of racing. There's a lot of little tricks that people can learn to improve the way they ride, which makes them faster.

You not the only one that feels that you don't have the pace to race. That is how we all started, and it's normal. Don't worry about it. Consider that the difference in lap times between a novice and an expert is maybe a difference of 10-15%.

Racing also takes more time investment. Bike maintenance, more tire changes (because you are accelerating and braking harder because you have learnt more), reading about suspension setup and physics. You will learn faster than what you had ever thought possible!

Go racing!

7. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Usually I'm quite prepped for track days - extra bits and parts. Just more concern regarding skills/pace. I really just want to join the racing community and talk about bikes and equipment - racing is just a bonus.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

8. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

Start racing Joe! Welcome to the family!

Everbody that completes a race school is ready to race, it's as simple as that. One of my best racing memories is being lapped by former WMRC Champions Mark "Kramer" Kruger and Steve Dick at the same time on the last lap while they were battling for the lead! We all start from the bottom and with time (and taking lots of on track riding schools) we all get better.

One of the coolest things about our sport is that we can never stop learning & improving. I try learning something every time I'm at the track. I have been fortunate enough to have won a few WMRC championships but I know I have lots of things to improve on with my riding. I have had so many great battles over the years and it never mattered whether it was for a win or for 30th place. Racing has really helped me build consistency in my laptimes as well as my racecraft in terms of making a pass, protecting a position, race strategy, etc.

I never understood why EVERBODY who rides a sportbike and who likes to watch MotoGP, WSBK, etc doesn't actually race. I know that most people say money is the issue but racing can be done on a budget (especially on a 250). People don't need to spend a ton on aftermarket parts! On my last 3 GSX-R 600 racebikes I've run a stock muffler, stock fork internals, stock brake pads and kept my motors stock (other than BMC air filters, velocity stacks on my former bike and a thinner head gasket on my current bike).

The feeling you get lining up on the grid and seeing the flag go up while holding the clutch close to the bite point with the revs up is priceless! Then the flag drops and it...is...ON!... There is absolutely nothing like it! I can hardly wait until next season!

9. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Thanks.

Just want to get some confirmation. My desire is there just not so sure if I'm mentally and physically ready. But yah...what the hell.

10. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Welcome to the Club Joe!

Funny how decisions happen in an instant, it's just that some of us take longer to prepare ourselves to do so.

Not all racers are physically ready to race by the way:p, but if you want to chat about being mentally or physically prepared let us know. You have a few months to whip your ass (and mind) into shape, you can do it!

11. tjsharpie

tjsharpie New Member

Thanks Jay.

I have been going back and forth with this for the last two years. I learned a lot taking CSS this summer, I'm glad I did before deciding to race. There's more to learn for sure ....

12. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

13. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

Speaking of whipping asses, what are you doing later?

14. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Joe, welcome and....go for it! I started racing this year at age of 46 with zero previous trackday or racing experience on sportbikes (motocrosser for 35 years though lol) and I had a great year, piles of fun, and the WMRC guys frickin rule!

Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime!

15. StevieMac

StevieMac New Member

Well said Sean.