Addition of Ninja 400 to 300 supersport

Discussion in 'Rule Book Proposals' started by Andrew Marles, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

Proposed by Reed Boehner:

I suggest a change to the LWSS class to add the Ninja 400 as this is the bike that will compete with the 321cc R3 and KTM 390 at other venues. There are horsepower limits in the class which the bike adheres to. The 250’s have a class specifically for themselves and are allowed in 2 more classes which they are competitive. Hardly any 300’s, R3’s or 390’s even show up and it would be nice to attract more riders from other clubs as well. The more bikes that show up the better.

Allow it on a temporary basis, allow stock bikes with suspension modifications only. Allow it in 2 classes and see where it goes. If only 1 bike shows up and lap times are significantly faster, exclude it. I am sure Steve and Shin would like a challenge.

shinf likes this.
  2. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

This is the direction that other clubs will be going based on manufacturers models: the CBR500R, Ninja400, Yamaha R3 and KTMRC390.

In our current structure I feel that we have options to provide these bikes with competetive classes to run in. Obviously Lightweight Supersport is the first choice. It was created to allow the Ninja 300 in to our club as it was considered an unfair advantage to allow the 300 to race against the 250. We expanded the allowable bikes to include the R3 and the 390.

....BUT BUT BUT we already have lightweight twins you say....
    Considering that since it has been added (lightweight twins) we have not seen additional bikes that aren't already running lightweight supersport (ie: CBR500, GS500, Ninja500), we have the ability to create one class from these two. This creates an option to continue to provide an additional race in the small cc class, call it lightweight supersport round 2 or Open lightweight or whatever.

***SIDE NOTE
    Alternatively I would really like to see fewer classes running multiple races per day as opposed to having a large number of classes. Maybe something that looks like this:
    Practice1
    Practice 2
    Practice3
    Practice 1
    Practice 2
    Practice 3
    =Break=
    Formula Classic/Middleweight Superbike
    Lightwieght supersport
    Middleweight twins/Supermoto
    =Lunch=
    600 supersport
    Novice open
    Superbike
    Lightweight supersport
    =bike pickup=
    1:15
    Novice open
    1:18
    600 supersport
    Middlewieght twins/Supermoto
    Superbike
    =tear down=

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    shinf likes this.
  3. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

I really like the schedule! One change would be swapping Middleweight Twins/Supermoto with 600 Supersport timing wise. A lot of the MT and moto guys run in 1:18 as well.

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

What about Formula Ultra?

5. andre331

andre331 New Member

really don't like the proposed schedule, first because a few of us formula classic riders also run in middle weight superbike and your idea of putting us with them would eliminate any chance of a second class for us. And by the way Jay if your going to start proposing scheduling changes to a class you don't run in you should ask someone who does. Fyi calling us vintage shows how much respect you have for a class of fellow wmrc members...... And Sean you should know about what classes the riders you represent run in, as our rider rep you should have picked up on that right away

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  6. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

Andre, as of now the schedule is not changed, it is just an idea right now. I too would find an FC/MWSBK kind of a pain as I guess I'd run 1:15 to get three classes. The big problem is the FC group, as we are now 3-4 bikes strong so it is hard to make up a class now, which is shitty. I am sponsoring the class next year and do it simply to try and help the FC class. The new rule book proposes removing the FC rep as there is not really a class anymore.

7. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I changed the "Vintage" to "Formula Classic", sorry if this oversight has caused some feelings of disrespect.

My post was related to the request to change the rules of lightweight supersport to allow a new bike. This schedule is just a suggestion based on my opinion of having multiple races with fewer classes per day, nothing more. It is out there to create discussion, and it has done that. No one was consulted before I wrote down my opinion. Please don't read anything else into that, we all race motorcycles here Andre. You bring up a valid point that I obviously didn't consider FC bikes running in MWSBK. Also 600 runs back to back with Superbike and that would need to be changed. There are a few back to back races for some bikes so that would also need to be changed. Formula Ultra dropped in favor of 2 superbike races (lets face it FU currently is just sbk round 2 anyway) and this may upset some people. Also I am not happy about removing open supersport in my suggested schedule, but like I said I just want to generate a discussion.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Ryan Whittle likes this.