88 db limit. Live within it.

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by joseph therrien, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Brent 96

Brent 96 going nowhere...quickly

What's the secret to keeping motards quiet? My understanding is that the stock exhausts are often above 88db? Is it mainly the exhaust that causes problems, or is the intake noise a significant problem, too?

Would it work to add two larger-volume mufflers under the tail for roadracing (Ducati style)? I'd think something like that could be fabricated relatively easily and be easily removed for other venues.

Just throwing some ideas out there as I consider my "re-entry" ride for 2010.

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Graves has a new exhaust for motards that is supposed to be quite a bit quieter than the other manufacturers. I think they said about 3db quieter.

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Two would likely be louder than a single. A KTM EXC style, super long ass muffler might help.

4. Jaydogg888

Jaydogg888 New Member

Fair enough. It's also a nice way to lose some weight also. An extra 5hp never hurt anyone either.

What if you had an after market exhaust that ran at or under the 88db limit is that allowed?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Don't forget that the high pitched whine of a 600 (even when under 88Db) with an aftermarket exhaust can also be heard high up the hills of Mission and can and will bring noise complaints. Personally I don't feel that the benefits of aftermarket exhausts outway the possiblity of loosing our ability to use the track.

6. Ryan Whittle

Jayson, the rulebook is available online. Inline 4 cylinders under 750 cc must use a stock unmodified muffler. Twins and big bores are allowed aftermarket mufflers.

All bikes must meet the 88db limit.

7. Ryan Whittle

bump!!