88 db limit. Live within it.

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by joseph therrien, Sep 12, 2007.

1. joseph therrien

joseph therrien Past President

Just a reminder to everyone that we live within a very strict sound limit.
    That limit is 88 db. If you are measured at over 88 db but under 90 db you will at the end of the practise or race be given a warning and told to make changes. If you are measured at 90 db or over you will be pulled from the track. We will do this during a race or practise. If you are warned or pulled from the track, and wish to return, you will be expected to demonstrate to Tech that you have made a modification to your bike that should make it quieter. There is no flexibility to these rules. They have been imposed apon the WMRC by the owner of the Mission facility and are not subject to negotiation. All this information is in the rulebook and every racer is expected to know the rules

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. GaryM.

GaryM. Live and uncensored

Just a question - Rules state that 600-750cc motorbikes need stock exhaust, if I ride a ZX-7R that is no longer 750cc but is bigger can I run an aftermarket pipe as long as I do not blow over 88db?

3. Simon

Simon New Member

That is correct. You will get one warning if you blow over, then if you try to fix it and you blow over again, you can't race again for that weekend.

4. GaryM.

Thanks for the info, the old bike needs a diet and loosing 20+ pounds with the exhaust change alone will help.

5. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Run a GSXR1000 or ZX10 can. They are light and crash well.

6. GaryM.

going aftermarket with quiet can. Need to save weight on the old pig, I mean girl.

7. overdraft

overdraft too slow to race

rulebook says that sv650's gotta have stock unmolested pipes but i'm sure i've seen 'em racing with aftermarket cans... is this rule one that is only enforced if you blow over? i can replace my can with an aftermarket (ie. lighter) muffler and remain supersport legal for WMRRA, but no point if i have to change back to stocker for WMRC. tia for the 411

8. Simon

Simon New Member

Tried the GSXR1000 can, cost me HP.

9. Simon

Simon New Member

Inline 4's under 750cc must run stock exhaust. Same rule applies, you get one try per weekend, ;)

Why is there no point, I have mine setup so I can replace JUST my can in 2 min's depending on where I race.

10. overdraft

well SV's are hardly inline 4's but the rule applies. ;) the point was that according to the rule book they shouldn't get through tech without a stock pipe. it's just against the rules. but i think they do. so back to my original question... will i flunk tech and not get on the track without a stock can? or will i pass tech (in spite of being technically in violation of the rulebook) and then be responsible for ensuring i don't blow over?

and there's no point in having to swap pipes cuz a) i'm lazy, and b) the way the dates go back and forth i'd have to change the pipe 8-10 times a season!

11. Brent 96

Brent 96 going nowhere...quickly

And I've got a spare full Hindle system for a 1st gen SV if anyone is interested.

12. Rick

Rick Old Guy

Wow, it really would be nice if some people read the rule book!

Overdraft is right, if a SV is running an aftermarket muffler in SV Cup then they are technically violating the rules. The SV cup is supposed to be an entry level class where everyone runs a bone stock SV. This means no overboring or head work or aftermarket mufflers or other go fast goodies. You can run an aftermarket header with a stock can (thats what most do) if you want to remain legal.

This is not something that tech will police though, as a superbike SV is legal in F2, F40 and BOTT. If you run an aftermarket pipe in SV cup, you could be protested and loose all your points.

As for blowing over 88db, some pipes are better that others. Leo Vince and M4 with home made cone baffles in them are fairly quiet. Hindles. Acro's and Yosh pipes on the other hand are harder to get below the 88db.

13. Simon

Simon New Member

But if he didn't run SV cup, then he's fine.

14. JIMMY

JIMMY New Member

15. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

SV Cup Rules

:) Actually, the SV Cup Regional, and National, rules allow for aftermarket exhaust, stock fork legs with aftermarket springs and emulators, and aftermarket rear suspensions, as well as steel braided brake lines, captured spacer kits etc,

From the rules:

1. Suzuki SV650 Cup motorcycles must meet the requirements of Lightweight Sportbike Equipment except as noted:

a) The exhaust system may be replaced with commercially available aftermarket exhaust systems meeting mandatory track noise limits.

b) The rear shock may be replaced with an after-market shock.

c) Front forks must remain stock. Internal springs, valving, and oil may be changed with any aftermarket components

See you all on the track in '08.

Best regards,
    Blair

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  16. Rick

Rick Old Guy

Yes I know that Blair, that's why in the WMRC rule book it states:

- National SV Cup rules apply
    - Stock unmolested mufflers with mechanical baffles in place
    - Max 88db

WMRC has the final say in all Regional racing.

17. overdraft

Rick,

Any chance we could simplify things by harmonizing our SV Cup rules to match the National rules, but retain the 88db rule for the club's protection?

I'm pretty sure that John Mortimer has an aftermarket can, and maybe Blair too... They'd be SV Cup legal nationally, but the way the WMRC rules stand now I could protest them out.

Even with a National SV Cup legal aftermarket can most SV's will blow comfortably under. Seems that we're adding an unecessary layer of protection by requiring the stock can AND the 88db limit.

I'm sure this should be brought up at a monthly meeting not on the forum, but I live in Victoria... Can someone carry the ball for me?

18. Rick

Rick Old Guy

Actually that's not true. Back in 05 when we went from 95db to 90db ALL SV's with aftermarket pipes were blowing over.

Now were at 86db on track with a max of 88db, you need a well packed can with some sort of plug or baffle in it. Depending on the weather and of course how hard the rider is on the gas, all these factors come into play on whether the bike will be legal or not.

I know there are some guys out there running full systems and getting away with just staying below the limit. But this is not whats best for this club, what is best for this club is to try and get your bike as quiet as possible.

Being that SV cup bikes are supposed to be "bone stock", there really is not much advantage to putting a system on it other than weight. My 99 SV dynoed at 72hp, with a full stock pipe, stock air cleaner and a little dyno work.

Every one please remember that we are skating on thin ice here. Anymore noise complaints and that could be it, no more bikes on Mission. If you can get your bike down to 80-84 db that's perfect, this is not a game to see who can get closest to the 88db without going over. Every weekend we black flag a few riders for blowing over and when they get to tech they say "oh sorry I'll put my plug back in, or I was just testing my new Hindle I'll put the stocker back on". This is bullshit and it has to stop, maybe we should just ban the riders for the day if they try that crap again.

Anyway the 2008 rulebook is complete, so the stock cans for SV cup bikes stays.

19. Rick

Rick Old Guy

Rule infractions fall under the Referee. He is far to busy on a race day to walk around the pits and inspect every single bike to make sure it is legal in it's appropriate class.

Tech is mostly concerned about bike safety, we don't have the time or man power to inspect bikes for rule infractions. I wish we could but it's just not feasible.

So the only person left is you. Think of it as 'self policing'. This is why we have the protest, major and minor depending on the magnitude of the infraction.

The club has been and will continue to do it's best to enforce the rules, but were only human and we do make mistakes and let some things slip through the cracks.

We'll surely be watching you through tech to make sure you have the appropriate pipe on ;)

20. JAMR

JAMR W M R C 1983, 84, 85

Something I found at Motorcycle USA.com Nov 8/07.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=5550&Page=1

Vancouver, BC, Canada, with its high-rises that reverberate noise, has become the front lines in the battle against loud and unnecessary sounds in the Canadian Northwest.

Former Vancouver Councilman Tim Stevenson successfully waged a campaign to ban leaf blowers in the West End in 2004. Now the Liberal MLA who narrowly defeated him in the 2005 provincial election, Lorne Mayencourt, is carrying the torch and working to restrict loud motorcycles, typically Harley-Davidsons with modified mufflers.

Mayencourt has introduced a bill, the Motorcycle Noise Control Act, that would ensure motorcycles are "equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise." Excessive noise is defined as 85 decibels "when operated in an area where the posted or un-posted speed limit is 60 km/h or less."

WorkSafeBC rates the typical noise level of a motorcycle at 80-115 decibels compared with up to 115 for a leaf blower. Yet neither match one of the consistently loudest of all urban noises -- the ambulance siren, at 120 decibels. (Sound levels double with every seven-decibel increase).

Looks like your street bikes may have to be as quiet as your race bikes soon.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007