250 class mod restrictions

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by moeracing, Oct 4, 2013.

1. moeracing

moeracing New Member

looking to possibly race in the 250 class next year...bought a street version and want to improve the suspension...the front is easy but the rear is pricey for the top stuff...can I put another oem shock on it if I space out the dog bones wider...so they fit around a wider larger spring...or can I add new dogbones or alter the oem ones to gain ride height? i read over the rules for the class but want to be clear before I spend any money. thanks Ross

2. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

Ninja Rear Shocks,

:) Hi Ross the easiest and fastest way to bring the suspension in the Ninja 250 around is to install the Elka Shock on the rear, Instantly brings you bike up to standard,

I have brought a few of them in for guys, Email me at b.layton@svracingparts whenever you like and I will help you out,

BTW: I also manufacture and distribute the Race Rear Sets for the Ninja 250, Very well thought of parts that are completely bolt on and let you flip between GP and Standard Shift as well as excellent Tire Warmers for these bikes so keep it in mind,

You will have a blast on the 250,

Best regards,
    Blair

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Doesn't a GSXR shock just bolt right in? Ask Hein Tran about it. I think that a number of the newer 250 Ninja riders use GSXR shocks.

4. Wblairlayton

:) Hi Dean, I just put an Elka Shock on Hein's Ninja 250,

Best regards,
    Blair

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. moeracing

moeracing New Member

the gsxr shock is not a direct bolt on....see below link

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59486

you have to space out the dogbones, grind a little bit of the knuckle and inner sleeve to make it fit...enlarge the gsxr shock bolt holes....not really hard but I wan to know if that is allowed...it had it all apart this weekend to have a look..., I have an 07 gsxr oem shock, a penske gsxr shock and a wp r6 shock...hmmm what will work...also what exhuast upgrades are allowed? thanks Ross

6. Wblairlayton

If you can make it fit use the Penske, it will be the best shock of your 3 immediate choices,

I think the answers to all the questions on pipes and parts allowed to be modded are in the rule book from 2013 season, If I remember correctly it all comes down to maximum HP and maximum torque allowed now,

It's a fun class to ride, with lots of opportunities both at Mission and Gregg Moore as well as other easily reachable locations,

Best regards,
    Blair

7. Paulchen

Paulchen New Member

Welcome to 250 cup. I have build 6 race/track 250cc race bike - stop put in fancy stuff unless you are already at top riding level. Take course that help riding experience not otherway around.
    All my bike still have rear oem shocks and they r doing 1'21-1'23-1'25 at mission.
    Make sure you talk to the right people and do it right.
    I hope you finish your bike before season start!!
    See u out there!!

8. moeracing

moeracing New Member

Hey paul, yes i know shiny race bits are no good unless the skill is there, i think i answered my questions as stock dogbones are required, i also noted that you are required to shave off the kickstand bracket, not a big fan of that idea as i was hoping to keep riding it on the street as a cheap commuter, i guess i will keep riding my gsxr750 track bike south of the border.

9. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

IIRC the removal of the kickstand bracket is to gain ground clearance as it touched down early and often. I could be wrong though.

10. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Yup, we require it as a safety measure. It will actually lift the bike off the ground in a turn. It's only a problem with the Kawi's though. Honda does not have that issue, and we haven't seen the new suzuki yet to determine if it's needed.

11. moeracing

moeracing New Member

Yes i totally understand the safety issue with it, but if you shorten the dogbones thus adding rear ride height and better handling at the same time it eliminates the issue of dragging the kickstand bracket, but for certain vertically challenged individuals (shorties) this certainly wont work, thanks for the replies,

Can someone tell me what gearing they are running on the 08 plus 250r at mission, may use it for a trackday or two. Thanks ross

12. moeracing

moeracing New Member

New suzuki 250? Do tell, i can not find it on the web...hmmm

13. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

14. moeracing

moeracing New Member

Ah i c, very nice, naked bikes are awesome, loved the ducati monsters i had,

15. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

The only convenient way to "race" your "cheap commuter" is to get a SM and race it at tradex, they have a street class. Ninja 250 would not be a great option for this type of approach.
    That being said, 13 tooth front sprocket is all you should need to get your bike working at Mission.

16. Wblairlayton

:clap:Hey good brother Paul, I just recently picked up a 2010 Ninja 250 in the states. I'm looking forward to seeing you on the track this coming season; Both GMR and Mission,

See you soon,

Best regards,
    Blair

17. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

WOO HOO! Blair is back in the saddle!