2016 Rulebook - When will it be ready?

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Ryan Whittle, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I've held off on renewing my membership so far as we still don't have the 2016 rulebook.

Is there an ETA for the 2016 rules? There was a rule proposal that would kick me out of a class that we haven't heard if it passed or not.

In addition, Alex mentioned at the February meeting that there are 2 new HP limits on classes but I haven't heard any details on rules, what that limit is or anything....

I know as President, Jason has a ton on his plate, so this is by no means a jab at him.

I know that last year's rulebook had a lot of changes with cleaning up formatting etc., just wondering when we can expect the 2016 rulebook?

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

It should be ready any day. The Middleweight Twins class and Middleweight Superbike class are being left as is, so you'll be fine with your SV. Don't lose your number, buy your license now! :cool:

3. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

What changes can we expect to see?

4. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Hey Jay, there's a new class for middleweight twins and singles with a horsepower limit to keep costs down, as well as HP and Torque limits for 250 Production, Lightweight Supersport and Lightweight Twins. We believe limiting power will keep these classes less expensive and more competitive.

5. Ryan Whittle

when can people expect to know what those limits are going to be? getting a little late in the game aren't we?

6. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

The executive was given the rule book proposals weeks ago, I don't know what's up. The limits were accommodating for bolt on mods like exhaust system, air filter, jet kit/PC etc to keep the classes inexpensive. 250 Production already had posted limits in last years rules that will carry over, this year will see Lightweight Supersport Dyno limit 45hp & 28ft lbs torque, Lightweight Twins Dyno limit is 55hp & 35ft lbs torque. Stroker kits and Big bore kits would be a bad idea for any of the small bike classes. The new "Middleweight Thunder" class HP limit is 78HP I believe.

7. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Glad to hear the rules are done, I am sure a bunch of racers are anxiously waiting to read them and figure out what classes to run.

Maybe I am in the minority over here, but I did't realize that cheater bikes were a problem in the small bike classes. Cool excuse to have a mobile dyno on site i guess, maybe we can use it as a draw for spectators to run their bikes on it?

8. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

that makes two of us. we're still waiting.

9. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

No problems yet (that we know of) but it's better to limit the modifications/power early before people do mods that cannot easily be undone. Ex. Middleweight Twins morphed from SV Cup legal bikes to superbike builds once the class name changed as the rules didn't limit modifications. Nip it in the bud.

10. Ryan Whittle

I don't know why you insist on sticking to this factually incorrect statement. The twins rules were around before SVCup even came into being. Twins always have been a formula/superbike class.

11. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Ok, thanks for the info. We're just trying to keep affordable classes affordable. I used a bad example.

12. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Prior to the 2015 rule committee revisions 250cc and under didn't require a belly pan. I don't remember the details now but this was changed for safety reasons. The oil capacity of an 08-12 Ninja 250R is 1.3L when the filter isn't removed. Most motards are 1.3L or more with a combined or separate transmission and don't require a belly pan. Any amount of oil on the track is too much, but this appears to be an inconsistent application of the rules. In the interest of affordability, being able to race a naked Ninja 250 would be a significant saving for new racers if considered safe to do so.

13. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Yes this does seem inconsistent. We did have a stiuation last season where a bike with a bellypan oiled the track, any oil is too much I agree, but obviously the bellypan wasn't enough in that case.

14. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I believe older Ninja 250's (pre-2008) and ZZR250's are allowed to run naked because of the limited availability of race bodywork. Personally, I was pushing for all motorcycles to have oil retaining belly pan, even supermotos. The oil incident last year was a mistake by the rider and by tech inspection. That type of incident (oil drain plug coming out) should never happen again.

15. seandcontracting

seandcontracting Smile!

I do not think there should be any issue with making a belly pan for any bike, even if race bodywork does not incorporate it. I spent many hours building a pan for my old FC bike, so figure it out and do it! And really, most modern machinery allows you to simply go to your supplier and order up a bellypan, frame sliders, crankcase guards et cetera. I personally think that ALL bikes should run a bellypan at WMRC events-that being said, I do not wish to anger the two strokers out there with their small capacity gearbox only liquids of 7-800cc LOL!

16. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

I think the belly pan requirement for supermotos is the only downside. It has been mentioned already here but most modern motorcycles are not that difficult to find race bodywork for. That being said I did run a ZZR250 for one season and it only had a number plate on the front and a tail section, no belly pan, it did make for an inexpensive racebike.

17. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood