2016 Ideas

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Dean Thompson, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

1). I know this was done in the past and was stopped, but I'd like to see trophies given out at races again. People who only do a couple of rounds per year don't have a chance to win a "top three in class points" trophy. Top three in class should be able to win trophies on race weekends, either individual races, or during double headers, a combined points for the weekend (like MX racing does). It's disheartening for a young racer (or old) to spend a lot of time and money to come race for one or two rounds, finish top three and then receive nothing for their good results. WMRC may be the only club that doesn't hand out race day trophies. Yeah, yeah, extra costs.

2). I know this has been discussed during the last race day, but the Hybrid Track Days should not be confirmed until there is a minimum number of paid entries (maybe 5?). It was painful watching the one rider take his 15 minute sessions during the race day. I know I wasn't the only one with poopy pants over it.

That's all I can think of for now.

Dean

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I see over 70 views but no comments from other club members or executive. Nobody else has an opinion on either point?

3. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Maybe just for the last race day in August along with the 250 Race of Champions if Kramer is organizing this again? With help from the club he might be able to arrange some prizes for the other classes to make it a more exciting and better attended event.

4. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

I think most of the exec is still getting up to speed after the break.

1) More than the money, the reason that we stopped handing out race-day trophies was because people weren't claiming them. Probably the majority of the trophies went unclaimed, and so that is a lot of money to be flushing away. What we discussed last year was setting something up so that podium finishers could order trophies if they desired. In order to make that work it needs someone to 1) manage the ordering process (online, email, phone, race-day signup?) 2) order the trophies, 3) collect the trophies, and possibly 4) ship the trophies. Does anyone want to volunteer to oversee this effort? If there were willing volunteers to run the awards program, the club could probably find the money from class sponsors to make it happen.

2) I don't have much to add to this one. There were a few people signed up and paid (no refunds) for the hybrid day last September. But only one guy actually wanted to ride the track on the day. I don't think the club is in a position to turn any enthusiastic participants away from any of our events. Did you know that the individual in question stayed for 3 hours at the end of the day helping tear down the bales? He more than earned the track time that he paid for. Those are exactly the people that we need in the club.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  5. StevieMac

StevieMac New Member

I racked up a bunch of trophies racing BMX in my youth and while it was cool at first it soon became more of a problem than it was worth as they continued to eat up more and more space. Eventually they all ended up in the garbage and I’m glad to be rid of them.

When I started racing at WMRC and found out there were no trophies I was stoked! I don’t have to figure out where to put the damn things, I don’t have to stay at the event even longer than I already do for trophy presentations, and I don't pay extra for something I don't even want.

YMMV of course but I really prefer just having awards at the end of the season personally. If we had little kids racing I'd be all for having trophies for them but we don't.

The hybrid track days were a success last year and we need to keep those people happy and coming back if we can. No matter what the exec does someone will be unhappy about it.

6. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

When I was exec on a MX club, we would re-use any unclaimed trophies at future rounds so they wouldn't be wasted. The brass plates can be changed if they have dates on them, otherwise just have a generic plate with the class and year only so they can be used throughout the year. I agree with Steve too, trophies are old school, take up allot of room and boring compared to the cool hardware available now. The number plate awards are nice because they can be mounted anywhere and don't cost much to have made. The awards job was a second hat that someone on the exec would wear. I just think racers should get something (if they want it) for the amount of time, money and effort that is put in to racing. Doesn't need to be fancy.

7. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood WMRC President

1. time and money. Both are in short demand. but I guess we can find the money if everyone would like to lend a hand tearing down and then we can do a quick trophy presentation?
    2. yes, i know. one guy was painful, but that guy attended every WMRC event. Turned every lap in the rain. helped with tear downs. It's hard to send him home. but something to look into.