2015 new class proposals

Discussion in 'Rule Book Proposals' started by cookie, Dec 3, 2014.

1. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Andrew proposed some new classes in his other thread:

Lightweight Supersport Twins
    This is the main class for the new 300s and a bump class for the 250s. Should follow Supersport rules, ie a little more permissive than the 250s (quickshifters yes) but still relatively economical (big engine builds and fork swaps no):
    • All motorcycles must be based on road going models, no MX based bikes or motors.
    • Up to 320cc twin-cylinder, four-stroke motorcycles.
    • Up to 400cc single-cylinder, four-stroke motorcycles.
    • Street legal pump gas only (87-94 octane). Pump gas is defined as gasoline currently available from a normal service station pump in BC, designed to run in street legal vehicles. No post-pump fuel additives allowed.
    • 40 HP limit at the wheel measured on WMRC dyno.

I'm not sure precisely what the HP limit should be, but we want to allow a Kawi 300 to be mildly tuned to be more competitive with the Yam 320 and KTM.

600 Supersport/Heavyweight Twins
    Since there is very little participation we are not planning on running heavyweight twins as their own class next year. Instead I propose that we allow Supersport spec 1000cc twins to enter 600 supersport but their results will not count towards the championship.

I would like the rulebook committee to consider allowing 1000cc twins to score in the class since the lap times are pretty close to 600s around Mission. Certainly we might need to make a rule to keep the 999r out, but the idea is to give the older Ducs, RC51s and RSV1000s a place to race where they are not outclassed. We can certainly revisit this if we get more bikes out.

F122
    Sportsman rules with 1:22 cutoff (To be reviewed by competition committee until a good cutoff is decided).
    No bikes more than 500cc four stroke or 250cc two stroke. No GP bikes either. This is designed to be a sportsman class for the 250 and 300cc riders plus any CBR500s (or GS/EX500s for that matter) that come out.

I'm starting this thread to try to encourage some discussion from the membership on these proposals. For? Against? Edits? Please contribute your thoughts and help your rules committee put forward a revised rule book that represent the wishes of you, the membership.

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Lightweight Supersport may be a better name (leave out the Twins part), as half the bikes eligible are actually single cylinders. With the horsepower limits in several classes, is there a plan in place for a dyno to be at the track?

3. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

As food for thought, if you have a horsepower limit, do you really need any further engine restrictions besides stock bore and stroke?

I like the idea of running pump gas, but in reality it will be impossible to police. It's going to take the buy in from all competitors to keep each other honest. Furthermore, if it is horsepower limited, wouldn't an easy and (relatively) in expensive way of making up the HP deficit on the 250s be to dump in some race gas to get a few extra HP? This isn't my area of expertise, just wondering aloud.

As for having a dyno at the track, IIRC, we were getting a steal of a deal from Mike at about $200/day, not sure if that is still available or not. We were paying Graham $450/day back in 2005.

4. *Jay*

*Jay* Member WMRC Exec

Question: If the KTM is 375cc, then is the 400cc limit designed to include the drz400sm?

I second the idea of dropping the "twins" from the class name.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  5. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Regarding the proposed F122, do we really need another bracket racing class, and if we do add one should it also be limited in engine displacement? Comments?