2013 Rule Book Discussion

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I'm starting a thread here for any questions or discussions about the 2013 rule book. There are a LOT of changes this year.

2. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Can you clarify how the timing works for 600 SS and Open SS? What happens when the only times to judge riders by is from a wet race? What happens to a rider when their lap times are over 1:20 during the race?

3. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Sounds like the club is flush with cash and doesn't want my money. I'm going from 4 races to 1? Can we run f-118 first thing in the morning so I can go home and do something else?

4. Dean

Times are based on the 112% rule. Riders qualifying must be within 112% of the lead riders time. Rain makes things slower and we realize that. Think of it as a guideline that if you cannot meet those times in the dry, you should consider another class to be safe. It's more of a safety factor.

Jay, why do you think you are going from 4 races to 1? You meet all the qualifications to keep running the same classes you always do.

5. Simon

Simon New Member

Why even show up? The time cutoff basically says your too slow to race so piss off.

6. Simon

Simon New Member

I am all for change but damn-

Elimination of stock muffler rule is going to create a whole can of worms, yeah we are keeping the sound limit but people are going to show up and get pissed when they blow over. We are going to take a ton of heat from that old lady on the hill. We ARE always on the chopping block, so piss off the wrong person and we are done at Mission.

Time cut-offs? Really? Since when did we become MotoGP/SBK? Do we have so many racers we can turn them away from premiere class'? Didn't know we had an issue with lappers except a few racers, IE "cough Ken cough".

This "committee", how long is the process going to take to determine action? hours? days? weeks? months? How is this committee chosen?

Gotta read more of the rule book later.

With the economy etc, we need to be bringing more racers here, not eliminating them.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

Time cut off are applied at both WMRRA,OMRRA and they use 120% cut off. If you have questions please come to the next meeting and then all your concerns will be answered.

8. Simon

Simon New Member

Yep, and they are also on the verge of going under.

Would love to but that work thing gets in the way.

Why all the secrecy? Can't it be answered here? and if these if question's aren't going to be answered here, why bother with a thread about it? :confused:

9. Dean

It's very likely that it's easier to talk about it, than write down large amounts of text. Ken doesn't type so fast most likely. Besides the meetings are a good place to encourage open discussion, and most people can talk faster than they can type.

10. ken lalonde

ken lalonde New Member

Both WMRRA,OMRRA are doing fine.I have raced with them both this season,did you Simon? So before you assume something do your research first. There are no secrets,I just hate typing.

11. Jacalyn

Can you explain how you decide if someone qualifies for a race class? Is it best time ever in any race? Is it best time in that class from the previous race? Is it the average time for an entire race?

Jay had just reached 1:19.3 on the last race day and that was in open SS. Does that get him into 600 SS? He is out of Superbike and Formula Elite given the cut-off of 1:18.

12. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Simon, before you go and have a conniption over time cutoff, why don't you run the numbers?

Ken did a 1:10 as his fastest lap on August 20. 112% of 1:10 is 1:18.4, or call it a 1:19. Do you think it's safe to have guys racing in superbike that are going slower than a 1:19???

The rulebook previously had that the referree had discretion about whether someone was too slow for superbike. With all the whispers of secret handshake deals, isn't it better to have it in black and white?

With respect to the competition committee, its not a secret of who is on the committee. Its written down in black and white that it is comprised of the referee, president and riders reps. That makes it a panel of 5 members, so rather than one person being the bad guy, or one person having all of the responsibility of dicipline and other items, it is a committee of representatives that then recommend a course of action to the Executive who are charged with the governance of the club.

If you want to take issue with the exhaust rule, then that is your right as a member. I know it was hotly debated at the meeting.

Finally, contrary to what some people are expressing, the executive is trying to expand membership, not turn people away. That why the exhasut rule was somewhat relaxed, to try and get a few more riders on the track. The executive wants to ensure that things are as transparent as possible, as safe as possible and try to build this race organization back into a club.

I may not agree with everything that is in the rulebook, but I think it addresses a lot of items that needed to be addressed.

Just my opinion, your results may vary.

13. Dean

Well said Ryan! Very well said.

14. Dean

It more comes down to common sense.
    Formula Ultra is a 15 lap race. If a rider cannot do a 1:18/1:19 on a consistent basis, then they are likely to be lapped twice in that race. That can represent a bit of a safety hazzard if the front runners are going to pass you twice, especially towards the end of the race, as bodies start to get tired, etc.

Originally, we were going to just put in the 112%, but someone said, isn't it much easier to just put a time down? Please see Ryan's response as to why it was even listed. I don't feel that Jay would not qualify for any race in our club, nor do I think that he'd be disqualified for trying to enter either.

15. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

How are horsepower limits and CC limits going to be checked? Especially on the 250 class bikes, cheaters do exist. And 700cc limits on Middleweight Twins? There are SV650's with over 700cc displacement engines. You know who you are ;-)

16. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Moderator

So what happens to the intermediate riders? Are we back to graduated Novice? Grandfathered up to expert and subject to the lap-time requirements? What happens if we show up, pay, and then don't qualify for a race? Also, what does graduated novice mean? There are not a lot of novice riders faster than 1:20 even after 8 races, so where do these people go now? It does kind of mess things up for the former intermediate riders and really limits the amount of track time we're able to get out of a race-day. Obviously the club can't please everyone and the line has to be drawn somewhere, but it does suck when changes seem to have such a negative impact for some of us.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  17. Jacalyn

I can see that common sense should prevail, but if it is written in a rule book then I read it as if it is the norm rather than the exception. As the rule is written, Jay cannot compete in either Superbike or Formula Elite. It could be up for interpretation for the 600 SS as well. It makes me nervous when you say that he wouldn't be disqualified for trying to enter any race as that becomes an exception to the rule and therefore at risk of someone protesting this exemption. It appears to be a slippery slope for those making the decisions of the day.

18. jcathie

jcathie Member

It's very simple, Dean. Protest the cheater bikes.

19. Hiener

Hiener New Member

I think this is great idea.

says "...as measured on the official WMRC Dyno", that Dyno is going to be busy

20. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

the Dyno that hasn't come out to Mission in about 5 years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.