2012 Formula Classic Challenge!

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by cookie, Oct 31, 2011.

1. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

Ryan,

The destroked SV would not be legal for the challenge, but it can be run in FC for points. We'll have to see what kind of lap times it puts out and take it from there.

2. nickridiculous

nickridiculous New Member

+1 for Formula Cheapo

I "raced" an '84 GPz550 in 2009. I might be out again next year if I can quit smoking. Any moral support in this endeavor would be appreciated. It might be as simple as a valve stem seal, or it could be more serious. The easiest thing will be just to run the bike untill it won't run any more, but I'd be mortified if my garbage motorcycle oiled the track as it's last act.

Would I have to take the "new racer" course again? I'd prefer not to, 465 bucks is like 95% of my annual race budget.

3. Mel

Mel Manx Addict

I don't know if my opinion counts for anything, Nick, but I remember racing with you in Novice (I also raced a rather ill bike, if you recall the rampant backfiring), and you appeared to be nothing but smooth and safe out there, and were hustling that GPZ around as quick as it could go. In fact, I remember being glad that - for the sake of where I placed at the checkered flag - you weren't on anything faster.

I'm trying to see if I can get back to racing this year, too, so I also wish you the best of luck with the same.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

I remember you too Nick and I'm still racing my RZ in the FC. Love to see you out on the GPZ. As for licensing, I believe you can come back with the approval of a club representative which would most likely accompany a couple laps of being watched and/or followed to make sure you have not lost any of your jedi skills. I'll try and find out more info.

5. nickridiculous

nickridiculous New Member

Thanks for that endorsement Mel! After looking into it a bit more it kind if seems like IF I had to retake the racer course then I would get a free novice race license (maybe?). So that would lessen the blow a bit.

The point is moot until I get the bike in shape anyway. I'll work on that first. I need a couple if bits and bobs too; like a rear paddock stand and an ez-up.

By the way who would our FC rep be if I wanted to talk to them?

I'll see you at the track Georgie.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  6. bsa_414

Now there's something... :bow:A 4 stroke that wants to be a 2 stroke. LOL

The smoking could be due to a few things. Valve stem seal is one. Stuck / Worn out rings is another. Check compression on all four cyls. That'll point you in the right direction. Burning oil is not necessarily a sign of impending disaster. At least the bores are nicely lubed!

And do me a favour and don't hurt the bike's feelings. She would really much prefer to be referred to as a 'classic' motorcycle.:)

7. bsa_414

That would be me! If you were a novice the same year as my two stroke brother Georgie, I was riding the yellow Norton. I eventually saw the light and switched over to a 2 stroke...

There's no guarantees, (rider reps are not executives:(), but I'll try to get you out on the track safely in the most cost effective way.

Just work on that 'classic' bike of yours so it's ready to grid up at the first race...

cheers

8. Schoey

Schoey New Member

I know that it's outside of the classification of 1990 600cc inline 4 cylinder, but could a 1992 CBR600 still enter? The bike isn't competative in any other class except 1:18. Is that something that would be reviewed by the rep?

9. bsa_414

Yep on the review. That would be an F2 or an F3 you have there?

10. Schoey

Schoey New Member

That would be an F2.

11. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Due to the club's schedule situation this season Cascade Pools has decided to postpone holding the Formula Classic Challenge for one season. Cascade Pools will be involved with the club this season, more details to follow when they are confirmed.

Thanks for your interest in the Challenge and see you in May!

12. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

The biker build off just hit a brick wall. Sad news :(