(2) Questions - Race fuel & trackside power

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by Jesse16, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Jesse16

Jesse16 New Member

Hey guys,

Newbie here. Did the racing school last summer & one (very wet) track day in September and got myself hooked good and proper, so I went out and bought a track bike from the states around October.

2 things:

1. I've got some chickenhawk tire warmers that I'd like to use - am I correct in believing that generators are the only source of power out there? I didn't really pay attention last year - the tens upon tens of bikes distracted me thoroughly.
    If so, any recommended brands? I'd go with a Yami or Honda, but I don't really want to remortgage my house :banghead:, so I was thinking a Kipor inverter gen set.

2. Race fuel! Where do you get it? Is there some magical fountain of high octane fuel everyone dips their tanks into that I don't know about?! Best bet I've seen so far is ordering online from VP Race fuels.
    On the racing fuel note...I have a supersport build 2005 GSXR 750. I probably should have figured this out before I bought it, but it requires a ~100/93 octane mix at 50/50, and I'm not entirely sure exactly what I want to be putting in there.

Is there an 'old faithful' fuel type/number that is generally the go-to? I had no idea race fuels had so many different permutations (oxy/no oxy/lead/no lead/essence d'unicorn etc..).

Thanks!
    Jesse

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I've got the non-inverter champion that has been going strong for almost 10 years. It's loud and heavy. I would suggest the champion inverter from Costco. because, Costco.

Race gas is the domain of Mr. Marbod Kern of Mspeed. He's at the track often huffing the go go juice. For cheap insurance against detonation, you can run C12 mixed with pump gas. Unicorn tears gives better throttle response, but isn't supersport legal.

3. tt600

tt600 New Member

because your a new racer....unless your bike requires it...why? not to take any business from marbod...or is it mapped for race fuel?even tho its supersport built u shouldn't need it.

4. Jesse16

Jesse16 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys

@Ryan Whittle
    Took it in to see Marbod like you recommended and he suggested I re-tune it to pump fuel. I don't care about to extra few ponies from race gas, so that seems like the way to go. Thanks!

@tt600
    You're right, I don't need it. I don't particularly want it either, but the bike/parts/tire package was a pretty good deal (or so I believe) when I bought it last year.
    I was only concerned that it would require the higher octane to avoid knock, which incidentally it may not, as you suggested. Looking into that now.
    It is mapped for 101/93 octane 50/50 mix, though it apparently will run fine on pump, but I want to confirm this with the guy who built the engine before committing myself to it.
    If I can't get a hold of him, I'll take it to mas dyno and remap to pump, which is what Marbod suggested.

Cheers
    Jesse

5. Jesse16

Jesse16 New Member

As an aside, I bought a stock 750 motor a few weeks ago. I'm planning on swapping the built motor out for the stock one at some point and saving it from a little abuse.
    If/when I can actually take advantage of the worked engine, I'll put it back in.
    I'll just have to get a separate map for the stock motor.

J