Exhaust requirements for Mission

Discussion in 'Ask the Exec!' started by Mel, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Mel

Mel Road racer

When I last raced in 2010 I had to run a stock muffler on my GSX-R600 to comply with the sound restrictions, but when I viewed some racing photos of the 2016 WMRC season, it looks like some 600s and other inline-fours were running aftermarket exhausts. Are aftermarket exhausts now acceptable as long as they stay under the 88 db limit? I wanted to ask now in case I'll need to swap the V&H system on my R6 for a stock exhaust for the 2017 season. Thanks!

2. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Member

The short answer is that you are correct, you can run any exhaust as long as you stay under the 88 dB limit. But lots of bikes, especially the 600s, have a hard time with that unless they are running the stock muffler. But I know that some of the newer systems are much better. Akrapovic and yoshimura come to mind as two that make essentially street legal exhausts. I would bring a stock muffler to your first event just to be sure. My bike varies by around 8 dB from a sunny to a cloudy day.

3. Mel

Mel Road racer

Thanks so much for confirming all that, Andrew. Very much appreciated, and I'll be on the lookout for a stock can to bring with me to Mission, just in case. Also, out of curiosity I'm going to also ask the seller if he ever had the dB measured on this bike at the Ridge, which he ran it (track days only) before I bought it.

4. tt600

tt600 New Member

great to hear mel that your planning on coming out to the track again...look forward to seeing you.

5. Mel

Mel Road racer

Thanks so much, Lu, I'm really looking forward to seeing you too and more good times with my racing family. I'll be in this '01 R6 and it's really well prepared and maintained; I just have to finish the lock wiring. You still have your 675?

6. tt600

tt600 New Member

yes i do...and yes its finally working the way its supposed to be...lol

7. Mel

Mel Road racer

Woot, glad to hear that, Lu! I'm so happy to have a bike that actually runs properly too, unlike the old Gixxer which I'm pretty sure was only running on three cylinders. I need all the help I can get :p

8. jcathie

jcathie Member

Well, if you'd had a 675 instead of the gixxer, you'd have had all 3 cylinders running.

9. Mel

Mel Road racer

Haha, so true, John! Whether or not I could have done anything with all the extra power of a 675 is another matter ;)