February 8 2016 General Meeting Minutes

Discussion in 'WMRC Meeting Minutes' started by ducatigirl, Feb 13, 2016.

1. ducatigirl

ducatigirl Member

Opening
    The regular meeting of the WMRC was called to order at 7pm by Jason Hanson

Present members
    10 members in addition to:
    Jason Hanson-President
    Steve McKenna – Vice President
    Brett Hanson - Treasurer
    Andrew Marles – Past President
    Pam Black - Secretary

Previous Business:
    Previous meeting minutes read by Pam Black. Motion to accept previous meeting minutes made by Rob Schoemeyer, seconded by Joseph Therrien

Treasurer Report:
    Reported balance of $24,652.56, taking into account the outstanding bills, the balance is $20,767.55

Open Issues:
    Jason reported that he contacted the SCCBC and the September 18 date was no longer available.

New Business:
    Jason mentioned that we are again looking for a reliable, suitable food vendor for race and track days. Alex suggested that we approach some of the restaurants or food vendors in Mission if they would be interested in coming out, and volunteered to contact prospective vendors in the Mission area.
    Jason advised that we are still looking at possible new locations for meetings. Things to consider are that we require a private room, as well as a guarantee that the room will be available to us. (No conflicts with Monday night football etc.)

We have made arrangements for Ted Shannon to announce each race round.

The exec would like to implement a mentoring program and are looking for experienced riders to mentor novice racers. Andre Drachinski, Rob Schoemeyer, and Lu Veneziano volunteered to step up as mentors. Please let a member of the executive know if you are interested in mentoring a new racer.

Alex Dimitru, chair of the rule book committee spoke about the progress of the proposed rule changes as follows:
    - New class, 650 GP Twins
    - Modifications to suspension are ok, limited to a max 680cc and 75 hp.
    - Lightweight Twins will have limited hp and torque, to be announced
    - Lightweight Supersport will have limited hp and torque, to be announced
    - Belly pans will be mandatory
    - Voiced concerns about Hybrid Tech requirements

Rob Schoeymer will be providing a check list of tech requirements to be made available to racers as well as track day riders.

In 2017 the Snell Helmet standard will be amended to Snell 2015 with a year’s grace period. The rule will not be enforced until 2018.

It was also suggested that proposed rule changes be made public on race days so that proposals can be discussed track side with the intent that any rule book changes be completed by the end of the season, ready for the following year.

Alex Dimitru has volunteered to be a Social coordinator with respect to some race day events, bbqs and other events to be announced.

Nikola Racunica requested that the promotions people at least provide the rest of the executive with a promotions update to present at the meetings if they are unable to attend.
    Nikola also asked which classes were available for sponsorship, and at what cost. The cost is $500, all classes are available for sponsorship.

Adjournment
    Motion to adjourn as made by Rob Schoemeyer and seconded by Joseph Therrien Meeting was adjourned at 8:08pm.
    Minutes submitted by: Pam Black

2. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I'm curious as to how the 650 GP Twins class fits in. Also, what modifications are allowed? Superbike chassis modifications? Supersport chassis?

Is 650 GP Twins going to run as a sub class of middleweight twins? How will you police who is over 75HP and who is under?

Also, what are Lightweight Twins and Lightweight Supersport?

3. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Ryan, the MW Twins class is staying status quo, so no worries. This new class is still being finalized, but it will be a limited HP class for several types of bikes, including 650 Twins. Finalized rules will be out shortly. We are working on getting dyno quotes from different mobile dyno services to come out to some of our race dates. Check last years rulebook for LW Twins and LW SS, as they were being run last year, these are not new for 2016.

4. Ryan Whittle

Thanks Dean. IIRC 680cc is a +2mm overbore, correct?

5. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I think that will be one of the changes: "up to 650cc twins". Is there such thing as a 2mm overbored SV making only 75hp? :devil:
    The finalized class rules should be out shortly.

6. Ryan Whittle

I would suggest keeping it at 650cc. Otherwise, you get a 2mm motor making more torque. Someone may use a throttle stop to limit HP.

For context, my SV Cup first gen SV put out 75HP. That was a jet kit, cam swap and supersport valve job. There were times I was pretty darn close to the limit, and that was with pump gas.

7. HWY99

HWY99 Team Green

Is it really worth the expense to ensure people aren't cheating? This is getting pretty serious for a fun class. Will have to dyno all classes to be fair. How would the dyno testing be scheduled? Apparently dyno runs aren't great for expensive race tires.

8. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Quotes will be looked at before a decision is made. If a dyno is brought out it would be for all classes with HP limits, not just for one. Dyno's aren't hard on warm race rubber since they grip without spinning. A cold race tire could spin and tear on a dyno.

9. moeracing

moeracing New Member

This winter I ripped apart my tired sv650 track bike engine and replaced the piston rings and all eight valves. Nothing exciting just a refresh It was dyno'd before and after...prior to the refresh it was at a low 62 and after it jumped to 72 and was a little lean...with a nice pc3 tune in warmer spring weather we are hoping for 75 hp, just a slip on, I don't think a 2mm overbore is going to get that 75 hp mark more like 80+. Just my 2 cents. Looking forward to riding it in whatever class I can

10. Ryan Whittle

Look forward to having you out Ross.

11. Ryan Whittle

Given that twins up to 1000cc are allowed in 600SS, I think bringing a dyno out for a round or 2 would be a good idea. Dyno operator could make some side money with track day guys there too.