Shorten Formula Ultra race

Discussion in 'Rule Book Proposals' started by Andrew Marles, Nov 30, 2014.

?

Should we shorten Formula Ultra?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2014.
  1. Do nothing, Formula Ultra is great and challenging.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Shorten Formula Ultra and make it a shorter Superbike race

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Shorten Formula Ultra and do something else.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Member

Just putting this up here for Rob. How many of the Formula Ultra riders would mind seeing the race distance shortened?

From my perspective, if we did this then what I'd propose is that we do away with Formula Ultra (since lap traffic wouldn't be a factor in a shortened race) and have 2 superbike races like we did in the past, and Superbike would become the premier class.

This would open up another slot in the schedule for another short sprint race, and I'd propose we do a free-for-all moto-4 type sprint race (gridded by laptimes) for all of the rest of the slower bikes (MWSBK and below). Once again, in a 5 lap race even the slowest bikes wouldn't get lapped, and I think it would be a fun way to finish off a race day.

2. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Does anyone even run nitrous or forced induction in the Formula Ultra race? Has anyone ever been black flagged for going slower than 1:18? It just seems like the club would be better off with 1 long superbike race instead.

I am all for longer race distances though because it brings rider endurance into the mix, even if that seems to go against the perceived spirit of "club racing".

*I voted on this poll, and realize that I don't compete in that class, sorry about that. I voted for option #2*

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 New Member

i agree with others that your premiere race should be the most difficult. it should require some endurance, lapped traffic should factor into it. it takes skill to navigate through the slower traffic. and believe me, especially from my first season, being lapped, you can learn a lot, even if it is just one corner at a time.
    maybe just make it THE superbike race though, and find a way to encourage as many to enter as possible.

4. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Shorten it, and call it Formula Not-So-Hard-Anymore. Better yet, shorten all the races, and give everyone a class so they can win and be champions. Perhaps we can all get participation awards too?

5. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Regarding 2 superbike races...that was a NIGHTMARE to determine who would win the day at superbike, since one race was 8 laps and one was 12 laps. Good luck writing the logic into the scoring system to determine that. But seriously, why should superbike be 2 races? Make superbike/formula ultra/whatever you want to call it, a 12 to 15 lap race, and schedule it earlier so racers aren't tired when it comes to it.

However, I've never heard a top racer complain about race length other than too short, as everyone wants more track time.

6. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Racing should be thrilling / exciting / fun for the participant. Racers should feel rewarded if they win because to do so should be a challenge. Participation awards belong to club volunteers, no one else.

7. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I've raced with an organization in the past that would determine the amount of racing laps a class would get dependent on the number of entries. Example: say Formula Ultra only had 6 entries (which it has had), they would get only six to eight laps, which keeps it entertaining for the spectators and it helps keep the schedule moving smoothly. Even as a racer watching/waiting from the sidelines, it seems like a waste of time to let six bikes race for 15 laps. If they had 12 - 15 bikes racing, go ahead and make it a longer race. I've seen spectators lose interest and leave during the dragged out races with minimal entries.

8. jcathie

jcathie Member

Interesting viewpoint but with small grids wouldn't the racers feel shortchanged with less laps for their dollars? Although Bernie might take issue with this, is it the racers we want to cater to or the spectating public?

9. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

You fishing bastard! ;-)
    I always wanted to run a fast program, as few gaps and dead times as possible. I couldn't care how long the races are, unless more laps = runaway races (boring) or dangerous lapped traffic.
    My only beef with the classes (a long time ago) was that there was no class for the old farts. I thought that 600 and superbike front runners should have stayed out of Pro Open, and leave that trophy for the fat/old/slow/poor boys and girls.
    With 2 superbike races, and most running the 600 as well, I thought 3 was enough.
    Laugh at everyone getting trophies, but everyone wants a chance not to be last ;-)

10. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

If a class is consistantly getting tiny grids, i.e. they need to add riders from other classes to have enough starters to make it a points race, maybe the club should consider cancelling said class, as it obviously isn't popular. I know the new exec is looking into class proposals, so maybe this will be a non-issue come race season.