Formula Classic eligibility

Discussion in 'Rule Book Proposals' started by *Jay*, Oct 15, 2014.

1. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Since the rules allow the Ninja 250 and CBR 250 in the class, I propose that Ninja 300 and CBR 300 be allowed to compete in MWFC.

2. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

Jay, that would definitely be a no. The intent of FC is to promote 'obsolete' bikes of historical value. The 250 kawi bikes were allowed under the model continuation rules, and we felt that the 250 Honda although a new bike should be allowed to ride. There's nothing classic about the 300's. You have plenty of other bump up classes like 1:18, Mwsb. If you really want to race in FC, do yourself a favor and buy a cheap old bike vs a $5K machine. Sounds harsh I know, but the class is more about spirit than anything else.

Cheers
    alex

3. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I propose Alex for President!

4. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Seconded!...wait a sec....that's not smart...damn...

5. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

Interesting. I never knew that the 250's were eligible due to model continuation rules, and just thought that they were allowed to provide grid filler to a class of 4-5 bikes.

6. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

See Jay, you don't know everything! :cool:

7. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

How is it that the newer Ninja 250s fit under the Formula Classic Rules?

7.9 Formula Classic
    Trophy class.
    Open to Novice and Expert riders.
    The following machines are eligible for Formula Classic:
    Vintage (production years 1979 and earlier).
    Classic Middleweight (production years 1980-1990).
    Classic Heavyweight (productions years 1980-1990).
    See chapter 11 for rules.
    Maximum 88db.

11.2 Classes
    The following types of machines are allowed to race in Formula Classic:
    Vintage
    For machines in production before the model year 1979.
    Unlimited displacement.
    Classic Middleweight
    For machines in production in the model years 1980-1990.
    Up to 575cc displacement.
    Classic Heavyweight
    For machines in production in the model years 1980-1990.
    Displacement 600cc to unlimited.
    Model continuation rules apply to all of the above. Any machine not obviously qualified to compete may be allowed at the discretion of the Formula Classic Rider Representative.

Any machine not obviously qualified to compete may be allowed at the discretion of the Formula Classic Rider Representative.
    In order to maintain a safe and competitive racing environment, the Formula Classic Rider Representative may further subdivide classes, or assign machines to specific classes as situations arise.

I admitedly have never looked closely at this section of the rulebook but I was pretty surprised at the highlighted section in Chapter 11. How on earth do we have a class within a club that is supposed to be open and inclusive when one individual has the power to decide whether a machine is allowed to run or not?

How is that fair?

I don't run in this class so maybe its none of my business, but in my opinion this is a section that MUST be changed for 2015.

8. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

LOL! Seeing how I am the all powerful one (thanks Ryan!) I better answer this. One individual does not decide. The riders of the class do. We table an issue, like should we allow an F2 or 250's to grid with us even though it's outside the rules, we discuss the pros and cons of it as a collective (sometimes we even ask outside people for their opinion), and we vote on it. We might not all agree, but at the end of day we're all still friends and can laugh about it over a cold bevy esp. when guys like Kramer, whip our asses on a 250.

If it bothers people that much, we can remove the parts you highlighted, and we'll just stick to the written rules with no exceptions allowed. 250's or no 250's, F2's or no F2's it's all about having fun and racing with friends for us.

cheers
    alex