First a Death Star, next an AMB timing system

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by jcathie, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

realistically, I would think 2015 is the earliest a new system would be in place.

From a 10,000 foot level, the brief pros and cons that I see of each system are as follows based on my limited knowledge:

RFID

- Stickers are cheap (Pro)
    - Stickers don't break (Pro)
    - Cheap for new members or visitors (Pro)
    - Problems with wider tracks picking up beacon (Con)
    - Since RFID system does CC processing, you never finish paying for it and never have an asset that can be sold (Con)
    - Not sure how well gridding software works (???)

AMB

- Proven commodity (Pro)
    - Large org with good customer service/support (Pro)
    - Infrastructure already in place/SCCBC already has loop in drag strip (Pro)
    - Reliable (Pro)
    - Gridding and scoring software is top notch (Pro)
    - Transponders are expensive (Con)
    - EMRA visitors would need to buy/rent transponders (Con)
    - Transponders need charging (Con)

Based on my knowledge of the systems, that's my feedback at this point.
    -

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Two models of the AMB. You can buy the rechargeable model if you like. I hardwired mine with pig tails from my bikes battery. Never an issue (unless you forget to unplug it and kill the bikes battery). The RFID system in Edmonton hasn't impressed me, I was having issues at the last WCC and had to keep going up to the race control tower to sort it out. We can't get to the race control building at Mission, so you'd be really screwed trying to sort out an issue. My 5 cents (since we can't do 2 cents without pennies).

3. jcathie

jcathie Member

You could also hard wire a waterproof switch into the circuit to stop the battery drain. One neat feature about the AMB software is there is a Purple Flag mode. There are actually 2 timing loops at Mission; one on the drag strip and the other on Pit Lane. In Purple Flag mode the software will pick up transponders that go over the timing loop but not count laps like it would do in Green Flag mode. That way I can check every bike for AMB signal on their way out onto the track. If your hard wired transponder is switched off, I'll know it and can radio Rick to catch you on the grid to switch it on. Simple, no?

As I mentioned previously if you are using a battery powered transponder (or your bike battery is going south) the AMB software has an indicator for low battery. But typically they are good for many days before charging is needed and it's a simple matter to check how many days of battery life are left on the transponder.

4. kingston

kingston New Member

I hard wired Tim's and mine AMB transponders to a switched (ignition) so when ever the bikes running it's on. The transponders draw extremly low mili/ amps, so it will not cause a problem on any bike, no worries about not being on or draining battery.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. dasein

dasein WMRC 23

"Something new from Q labs... it's called a relay..."

6. jcathie

jcathie Member

Q Labs. Isn't that in the Continuum?

7. dasein

dasein WMRC 23

Line from the new Bond film: "Something new from Q labs: it's called a radio".

8. jcathie

jcathie Member

Awwww. I haven't seen the movie yet. Now it's ruined for me. :D You should have put spoiler in the subject.:bah:

9. dasein

dasein WMRC 23

Spoiler

How's that?

LOL. You should. It is not too bad, and I generally don't go for Bond films.