Sheep Dip!

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by jcathie, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jcathie

jcathie Member

Someone just had to close the most contentious thread we've had in years before I could make a smart a$$ retort.

Bernie is right. I'm wrong. :eek: Thanks for pointing it out, Bernie.

Usually my programming is pretty rock solid so nothing goes wrong

goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    goes wrong
    :behead
    <reset>

Before I start, I want to make absolutely clear I am fundamentally opposed to a time threshold exclusionary process in a club racing atmosphere. In English, I don't like the timed qualifying requirements set out in the rule book for the WMRC.

I did a little research with respect to the 112% or 120% qualification rule proposed. Here's what we experienced this past year.

The fastest lap time accurately recorded in Superbike in 2012 was a 1:10.380.

120% of that time would be a 1:24.456 and
    112% of that time would be a 1:18.826.

The ONLY, REPEAT ONLY, rider that fell outside the 120% time was Jay. He finished the race 2 laps down. Eat more beans Jay.

Q: Can our marshals take on the task of blue flag procedures?
    A:We can try.

Q: Would the riders feel comfortable with blue flag procedures?
    A: Well?

Q: Do we even have blue flags for all the corners?
    A: Beats me.

Last question:
    Q: Will Johnny Rock Roadblock ignore the blue flags? :cool:
    A: Ask Al Ludington.

2. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Nice one John! Now lets carry on with the 2013 Rule Book Discussion! :devil:

3. Eddie 59

Eddie 59 New Member

Ok. the thread got colsed before I could put anything in. ( thats a lot of reading for a dumb newf like me)

1: 50 plus riders on the grid? I do remember waved starts in 600 and Superbike (2004-2005?)

2: aftermarket pipes in 600? My God people please let sleeping dogs lye. Please dont bring that into the mix again.

3: The timed cut off i just dont see working for all the points pointed out earlier. I 100% agree with the blue flag in every corner there is a marshal. the starter can let everyone know who is about to get lapped and let the corners know. So someone got in your way as you were battling for a 1st place TROPHY who cares? yes we are all competitive but come on... I think there has only been one issue in the last few years that there was an actual crash involed by a lapper. I was on the track. I saw them comming and pulled over down the front straight. I know the other rider knew they were comming too but I assume they just didnt know they were comming that quick (Hence where was the blue flag since it was in turn 1 )

4: Can we all just have some fun? I dont care if Im battling for 1st or 10th. If I have someone to race with im happy. Running a 10 lap race where the guy behind you is 5+ seconds back and the guy ahead is 5+ secs up sucks. you cant grow as a racer and a rider if you cant see the guy ahead of you to guage your mistakes.

we are a fun race club lets try to keep it that way.

And yeah, Whittle and Ted, get your asses back in the tower.

is it too early to start drinking?

4. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

you know I was only kidding right, John? i personally have no idea what Bernie was talking about, I just found it funny.

I'm pretty sure the only race I ever got lapped twice in or consistantly lapped at around 1.24 in the dry would be the race after Spero smoked me. Quite frankly I'm well aware that my riding was atrocious. in my defence, I was injured riding an unfamilar motorcycle and I woudn't have been out there if it hadn't been the last race of the season and I was trying salvage what was left of a suprisngly ok season for me.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  5. jcathie

jcathie Member

No harm, no foul, Jay. We're all here for fun, right?

I wanted to present some real, empirical data to illustrate how bad someone's riding would have to be to fall outside the time limit.

As an aside, I wasted several hours going over race results to put together all the lap records in all the classes. If we applied the time limit to the fastest lap recorded on a motorcycle at Mission the 120% cut-off would be a 1:21.654; the 112% cut-off would be at 1:16.210.

View attachment WMRC Lap Records.pdf

Oh, yeah. Errors and omissions can be pointed out if you find any.

6. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I would really like to do announcing as much as possible. Lots of the little quirks with my bike have been worked out through last season and this winter.

I enjoy the announcing and would be glad to do it.

7. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Oh, i'm honoured to be the example..:bah:

8. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

I was shocked you didn't get in before the lock....it took you that long to come up with the smart a$$ part?

Based on the last two quotes, clearly the programming needs an upgrade ;)

Just about spit my microwaved coffee all over the computer screen when I read that one ;) well played John, well played. Perhaps the programming isn't faulty after all?

More coffee just hit the computer screen..... :bow:

9. jcathie

jcathie Member

I had difficulty accessing the web site yesterday. Dean tells me some Shaw customers had problems. I guess I was one of them.

10. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

That's funny 'cause I thought this site was hosted on Shaw (...not that Shaw knows). Must be a conspiracy to keep John from posting...

11. Don

Don Retired

I had problems getting in with my Shaw account as well. Still flaky last night and this morning. Funny at work our computers connect to servers in Ontario and its a Shaw connection out there and no problems using it.

12. Don

Don Retired

As I will not be at the meeting on Monday my comments regarding the use of blue flags are as follows.

Yes you will need to provide then to each corner as they don't have them now.

Radio protocols would need to be more strictly enforced to cut out the idle chit chat that gets in the way of needed communication such as this.

Corner marshals would have to be more diligent at actually listening to the radio to hear the call for a blue flag and respond.

Take care of those issues and it's probably a good thing.

13. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Not like you're getting singled out Jay, lol. So basically we just need to strap a blue flag on Jason and the proposed rules will be in place. ;):D:thumbup::dance::eek:hya::woohoo::pop::laugh::nana:

14. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

Great, everybody happy now?
    Pretty soon all you'll let me race will be one of these.
    4.jpg

I'm going to need a headstart.

15. bigga_boy

bigga_boy Livin' The Dream WMRC Exec

no head start needed....just throw 5k in the motor and you'll be at the front of the pack ;)

16. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

right. time to get a personal trainer.

17. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Since I'm so good at being critical....your flag colour is wrong. John certainly wouldn't allow THAT colour anywhere near the track ;)

Oh, and the way Sydney is going these days, you're going to have to compete with her for some track time around the living room on your tricycle. I'll ask to borrow the checkered flag from Don.

18. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

i was wondering why you were cackling away over there. Haha apparently it's open season. Anybody else?

19. thumper 8

thumper 8 corner worker / photog

Blue flags would not be a problem as long as a definite protocol is established - have one and only one person (timing/scoring or the starter?) call for the blue flag and the corner # .... plus bike # of course. Another good reason to make bike #'s as visible as possible.

Would take a little practice but should be doable, or choose for select corners to have the blue flags (maybe Starter, T3, T6 & T8?)?

At MotoGP, there is a very easy process... and a few laps notice as the gap from first bike to last bike is counted down, with a warning over the radios that we will probably need the blue flags on the next lap. Not hard at all.

With a little practice (and the purchase of some blue flags :)) it would not be a problem, especially is some of the more experienced marshalls return next year.

PS: Merry Christmas everyone!

20. kingston

kingston New Member

Could we have a ruling please competition commitee, is that extra wheel going to constitute an unfair advantage ? Or should we just put in a low lap time limit of say 1:13 so he doesn't walk on us.