Transponder for Novice

Discussion in 'Tech Area' started by ctardi, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ctardi

ctardi Moderator WMRC Exec

I'm getting set up to run in Novice in 2012, and have a question about transponders. Talking to a friend that raced this year, he doesn't think that I need a transponder to run novice. However, the rules state:

Since novice isn't scored, I don't immediately see why there is the requirement for a transponder, but would like to clear it up given that I'm having a difficult time finding a transponder.

Cheers,
    Cam

2. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

I was in Novice this year and ran the first round without a transponder. I didn't think I 'needed' one so I was going to take my time getting it.....silly mistake.

Mid day of round one I saw guys at the tech shack checking out their times. I went over and soon realized it is quite helpful to see how you are doing in relation to your competition as well as for measuring your own performance. I made sure to get one before the next round which for me was round 3.

Throughout the season you can print off your times from the website and keep a log book of your progression. Hopefully you can see a steady descent in your lap times as the season moves on. Other things you can see will be your individual lap times through a race which should give you an idea as to your fitness and mental stamina as well.

I suggest you get one before the season starts.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. ctardi

I quite agree that I would like to have one! They are rather difficult to come by, though I do have a lead on one through a EMRA member. I am attempting to determine if it is absolutely required before my first race day, or if I can put it on the back burner while I work on procuring all of the other required items.

4. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

Not a requirement for Novice (i.e. no one is going to prevent you from riding if you don't have one)

5. jcathie

jcathie Member

Lance and Ryan are both absolutely correct.

You DO NOT have to have one to race Novice. That said, Lance brings up some very salient points.

Here's a couple links to what he was referring to with respect to getting your lap times off the web site: http://wmrc.ca/results2011/Round7/SuperbikeRace1.html to see the race results, then click on the name or number to see this: http://wmrc.ca/results2011/Round7/SuperbikeRace1_7771.html

They are a couple hundred bucks new. Some guys have bought used ones but we've seen mixed results because they may have been bounced down the road and behave not so well. YMMV.

6. Mel

Mel Road racer

Sounds like I was lucky to get mine when I did (thanks to you!).
    :)

7. jcathie

jcathie Member

Always happy to help a friend.

8. ctardi

Hi All,
    Thanks for the feedback. I have worked out a deal to get a used one that has been treated well throughout its life.

Out of curiosity, where does one purchase a new one? I did not have much luck through searching online and through my limited racing contacts.

9. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

10. dasein

dasein WMRC 23

Personally, and this is just a silly, out of the box thought... but how about we turn off the DB com during the novice races. Time is not important for a racer's development at that stage, IMHO.

But then I am still at least 50% novice. Now time is important, and embarrassing...:)

11. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

I disagree for a few reasons:

(1) its nice to be able to see a steady progression in your riding

(2) you know if you are improving or if you are getting stuck at a certain lap time which then may lead you to seek out instruction to help you get thru whatever the issue is

(3) you know if you are going fast enough to enter other classes and how you may stack up against those riders

12. gxr jo

gxr jo New Member

i've lost track of how many times i raced with setup changes and thinking i had gone faster to be rudely awakened by the dbcom saying otherwise

13. ctardi

As an upcoming novice, I strongly agree with this. Given that it's an un-scored category, I don't care if I'm passing other riders, I care if I'm passing myself. If this were to be the case (turning off dbcom system for novice races), I'd be rather annoyed that I bought a db-com instead of an XT Ultra.

dasein - Is that the split pillar? I've got to get up there again before one of these so called nasty winters comes by and pops the flake off.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  14. BPierce

BPierce New Member

I encourage the use of a transponder with Novice racers as it helps to show that you have completed a race, your lap time and any dnf/crashes. This information helps to determine if you are ready to be considered for a move to intermediate.

15. TheWood

TheWood New Member

16. ctardi

That is the same model I got, so I hope so!

17. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Yes, that model works with ours!

18. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I'm pretty sure that is Tim Johnson from Calgary - might be a little cheaper if you contact him directly, then he saves the ebay fees.