2012 Formula Classic Challenge!

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by cookie, Oct 31, 2011.

1. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

Cascade Pools Inc, in conjunction with the Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club's Formula Classic racers is pleased to announce the

2012 Formula Classic Challenge

Riders must register for the challenge, pay a one time $20 entry fee and display the required contingency decal

This is a season long challenge with points scored at every WMRC race

Points to be determined using the WMRC formulas, as scored through the DBComm system

Winner to receive a trophy and a cheque for $500 plus all entry fees collected at the conclusion of the final race of 2012
    Further prizes and sponsorships in negotiations!
    Please e-mail dcracing@live.ca if you'd like to have your company involved!

Contact the Formula Classic riders representative to determine your machine's eligibility and to register for this season long event

We hope to see many more bikes on the grid in 2012

Old school racing, winner takes all!

Eligible machines:

. up to 425ccs multi-cylinder, two-stroke motorcycles, up to 1990 model year
    . up to 500ccs twin-cylinder, two-stroke motorcycles, up to 1990 model year
    . up to 600cc multi-cylinder four-stroke motorcycles, up to 1990 model year
    . up to 680ccs twin-cylinder, four-stroke motorcycles, up to 1990 model year
    . up to 900ccs three-cylinder, two valve,four-stroke motorcycles with only steel frames, up to 1990 model year
    . up to 910ccs twin-cylinder, two (2) valve four-stroke motorcycles, up to 1990 model year
    . Open single-cylinder, two or four-stroke motorcycles, up to 1990 model year

Model continuation rules will apply

Other bikes may be considered eligible at the discretion of the Formula Classic rider representative

2. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

If you look around there are lots of cheap bikes that would make a good racer for the challenge.

Here's one:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcd/2634295714.html

I'm currently looking at putting together 2 more eligible bikes, let me know if you're interested in committing to having a good time and racing the season with the formula classic guys!

3. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

A few things...

First and foremost. A big thanks to Tony for putting this together. He's been a great supporter of Formula Classic and the club for the last few years.

Second. 88db's... It is a club rule and it applies to the challenge machines as well!

Third. The challenge is run within the FC race. These rules are more restrictive so as to create a more level playing field and to make it more about riding than the bike you're on. Classic heavyweight superbikes are still welcome to race for points but they will not be considered for the challenge. Also, mods to the bikes are to be kept within the spirit of classic bike racing.

We will have at least one FC BBQ this year (yes, there will be tandoori chicken!). As always we will host it, but will accept donations - with all proceeds going towards the prize money. Date(s) to be announced right after the schedule is out.

Feel free to approach myself , Tony or George with any questions you might have. Anything from where to get an old cheap bike, where to get parts or hae them made, machine eligibility, tires etc.

I'd like to see a whole bunch of new bikes on our grid but really, I would settle for 2-3. Baby steps!

The old bikes are not slow by any means... And they are a cheap fun way to get into racing. No offense towards the 250 production guys meant...:cool:

4. bsa_414

Forgot to mention I'm in... ( big surprise there,eh?)
    Prize already up to $520!

5. Reckless

Reckless New Member

If "model continuation" rules mean what I think they mean then I take no offence to your 250 comment as it would mean a new 2012 Kawasaki 250 would be eligible for your challenge as it has been in production basically unchanged since 1986.
    If we have enough 250's next year for 250 not to be run at the same time as Formula Classic then I am in too.

6. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

No time to read this( late for work) but I'm all in!!!! 500 bones!!! YES

7. ted

ted asshat

Why don't we make this a claimer class just to ward off too much money being thrown at the bikes?

8. bsa_414

Actually 500+my20+your20 = 540 smakaroos. And if Angus is in it's 560. The more the merrier. Race on!

9. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

I like the idea of keeping people from spending a bunch of money on their bikes, but really, what is the prize likely to end up at? I'm thinking unless other sponsors get involved maybe $1,000 or a bit more - max? Fun and designed to encourage competitive racing and gain bragging rights, but hardly worth mortgaging your house LOL. Hopefully that doesn't discourage anyone, obviously the more racers and interest, the bigger the prize gets. There's no ceiling.

My idea for this is to encourage lower cost racing and to try to help the club by bringing in racers (existing, former or future) who may otherwise not race due to costs involved in other classes or who may like to have some fun in another class, so look in the garage and blow the dust off that old race bike!

Anyone ever heard of "bucket racing"? It's big in New Zealand and Australia and is designed to be similar to what we have proposed. A relatively cheap, fun class of racing which has ended up with a bunch of pretty smart guys developing their "buckets of s@#t" into competitive race bikes without breaking their banks.The spirit of this challenge as proposed is intended to encourage people to put something together with their brains and hands rather than their wallets. I certainly hope it works out that way and some more people get involved.

Personally I might worry about a claimer class, not because of the money I have in my bikes but because the 2 (challenge eligible) bikes I'm working on now are hybrids and it would be difficult for me to replace if I lost one because the chassis are somewhat rare here. There is much more of my time and ingenuity in one of my bikes than there is money.

Again, anyone interested in using a bike to ride in the challenge this season let me know, we'll see if we can work something out. Yammagamma anyone?

10. Georgie G

Georgie G Animal Viking

I have to agree with you Cookie, I have only 5% ingenuity and 95% time invested in my ride, something you can not put a price tag on. Yammagamma??? sounds interesting!! Any pics yet????

11. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

No pics yet, but I will say that in my shop there is some Yama in a Gamma.

12. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I'll probably bring out my POS '87 EX500 and run this class, if it's any quicker than my ZZR250 :confused:.

13. bsa_414

Should be about as quick as a gs500... When we had one of those around it did ok. I'd have to check race results to be more accurate, but mid 20's come to mind. Would be great to have you out there Dean!

14. ted

ted asshat

Ha aha, human berm.

:D

15. Mel

Mel Road racer

Is that analogous to 'mobile chicane'? I have lots of experience in that role...

16. jcathie

jcathie Member

Ted's got moving chicane down to a science.

17. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

What are your thoughts on a destroked and sleeved SV650 which is now an SV500? Friend from California may be moving up for school, normally races in WSMC lightweight twins.

18. ted

ted asshat

Man, you guys have gotten better over the years. I liked it better when I was the resident funny guy.

Sheesh................

19. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Does a 1987 EX500 need a oil retaining belly pan?

20. cookie

cookie Two Smokin'

All the clubs rules are in place, so yes a belly pan is required.

Regarding the de-stroked SV, it would not be eligible for the challenge, too new and no model continuation, but speak to Alex regarding eligibility for Formula Classic, he may make an exception there.